Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

Yes, I feel sorry for the Coventry riders as all this doubt about 2017 affects them even more than the fans. Let's hope something is sorted out in January so we know one way or the other and we don't have to wait until the March health and safety inspection.........if it ever gets that far.

Lets hope that both Coventry and Belle Vue make their minds up quickly as there are at least 7 riders who are not sure if they will be riding in the Premiership next season Also one or two waiting because they want to know if Belle Vue wants them.

The most iconic team in the UK is Belle Vue, if the BSPA allow that club to die it is very bad news. The only reasonable stadium British Speedway had available to it after the loss of Speedway at Odsall was Brandon, if the BSPA don't get involved in sorting that mess I would be very surprised. At least Leicester Lions will run in 2017, which is something we can be thankful for.

• Like 1

Cost money Steve, something Leicester do not have.

How would you would know that new owners do not have the money required for track alterations?. But to put things into perspective, last year bends 3 & 4 were altered at a cost below £5k (which DH did not fund) so why would it take more to make similar alterations to the first two bends?...it wouldn't.

Incidentally Last years alterations were meant to include bends 1&2 which would have been done had it not been for the weather interfering causing delays and leaving insufficient time to complete the job before the start of the season after which alterations are not allowed.

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 1

Yeh great i agree, but you seem to like picking holes. Machinery costs money as for volunteers they will be hard pressed to get them.

When I started working for a living I was paired with a wonderful Chap to learn my chosen trade. He told it like it was.

The first words he said to me was: Son!! ... There are two types of workers in this country, 1, is person who can only see solutions, and 2, is a person who can only see problems.... Now which one are you??.......Depending how you answer, will also dictate your direction in life .... ( pause) .....

If your answer is 2 , you can go and work with him over there... Such an important question, so early in ones life, but it was that important.......

There's no need to ask what group of people 'Starman2006' is from...........

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 5

I think that Leicester will find it hard to assemble a team when it comes to it. they will find it had to get Heat leaders as most have been snapped up. they could get some decent second strings and reserves. But Perhaps they have some in mind. This will be up to the team manager . have they appointed anyone yet? Lets hope that they can put out a good team because the fans will want a winning team at least at home.

As the statement says, they also have to decide on their preferred racenight - which would almost certainly have an effect on which riders might be available.

Does anyone know if he was on and, if he was, what he said?

Yes he was on but he did not reveal too much. He said that the new owners were a new limited company but did not say who the directors are. He was asked if work would now be done to improve the site but he said that David Hemsley still owned the site and that it was up to him to do any such work. No news on riders, management structure or the intended race night etc. He said it was important to have got to a position of guaranteeing the continuance of the sport and that all other matters could now be worked on.

No you dont, and neither does anybody.. Likeyhood being they wont be, but we'l see.

So why did you post that Leicester don't have the money? You really are a stupid man.

Does anyone know if he was on and, if he was, what he said?

He more or less re-iterated the BSPA press release, didn't give much away and when asked if he is the new owner, just said that a company has signed a lease to take over speedway at BP. We presume that company is Leicester Speedway (2017) Ltd (until a few weeks ago Kings Lynn Speedway Ltd) of which he and Cheryl Chapman are the directors!

There was a question about the general development of Beaumont Park. He said that David Hemsleys company Beaumont Sports Complex Ltd remains in charge of this, and hopes that the end DH's involvement in operating speedway will enable him to focus on that side of things.

He didn't say if the 15-year speedway lease is with BSC Ltd or with Leicester City Council.

If Chapman has taken over the reigns , should be good news for Leicester , has the equipment ,money, experienced to build a decent racetrack , and enough experience + reputation . to get some top riders to build a good team , got to be better than Mr Know it all , no money .no idea running the place . If I were a Lions fan I would definitely looking forward to 2017

If Chapman has taken over the reigns , should be good news for Leicester , has the equipment ,money, experienced to build a decent racetrack , and enough experience + reputation . to get some top riders to build a good team , got to be better than Mr Know it all , no money .no idea running the place . If I were a Lions fan I would definitely looking forward to 2017

He sounds like a man who is low on bullmanure output, and good on getting things done. Hopefully his wife's sane as well.

Bit of a contrast to what we've been "treated" to over the past 5 years!

The only thing he might be short on is the marketing/PR side of things, but hopefully he can bring in someone to deal with that.

We live in hope.

Yes he was on but he did not reveal too much. He said that the new owners were a new limited company but did not say who the directors are. He was asked if work would now be done to improve the site but he said that David Hemsley still owned the site and that it was up to him to do any such work. No news on riders, management structure or the intended race night etc. He said it was important to have got to a position of guaranteeing the continuance of the sport and that all other matters could now be worked on.

Thanks for this. I suspect that Hemsley is still the main leaseholder for the whole site and that Leicester Speedway (2017) Ltd. have a sub-lease for the 15 years. Perhaps by then all the other facilities that were planned e.g. 5 a side football & BMX track will have materialised!

By the sound of it the track is still the responsibility of Helmsley so terrible news. Means things won't change and it will remain the worst track in the country.

A shame.

• Like 1

By reading previous posts I read it as Hemsley has the responsibility for alterations including the track.