British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

Did Nikolai Klindt win an award last night at that sports do at the Leicester Tigers ground? Where Alan Birchenall had his heart attack? Noticed his name on the wall of fame there??

I think Klindt was there to present an award, not receive one. The story in the on-line version of the Mercury says " Birchenall was on stage with speedway rider Nicolai Klindt & about to present the team of the year award". Obviously Lions didn't win the team of the year award that went to the Leicester Riders Basketball team ( the football team & were due to receive a special award later before the awards were cut short) .

As I have previously said .Hemsley brought nothing back ,everything was signed and sealed BEFORE he was involved , Sam Ermolenko was in place as the project manager long before Hemsley arrived , and was the first casualty of the ego ,

If things were signed and sealed then signed and sealed by who? following your logic there was somebody other than DH who arranged everything without any input whatsoever from him. If that was the case then why didn't those people carry on with the project instead of simply letting DH take over? for you to say "Hemsley brought nothing back" is an inaccurate statement.

Clearly there were people involved prior to DH but ultimately he was the one who made it happen similarly he played a part in his own downfall.

As I have previously said .Hemsley brought nothing back ,everything was signed and sealed BEFORE he was involved , Sam Ermolenko was in place as the project manager long before Hemsley arrived , and was the first casualty of the ego.

That is totally incorrect, ermelenko arrived a long time after Hemsley was involved. I know because I assistied DH with getting the lease granted by the local council. I attended a couple of council meetings and also ran a Stars V Leicester meeting to raise public awareness (received good local TV news coverage).

I was never in it to be the promoter but saw it as an opportunity to help, as I am sure many others did. Once the lease was agreed and planning consented DH went about raising the funds to build the stadium, at that point I was no longer involved and I believe that was when ermelenko arrived.

Ken Naylor and others will back me up on this, and whilst DH may not have proved to be a good promoter, the stadium solely exists for the Lions team to race in because of the capital he invested (which in my opinion was a risk 999 out of a 1000 would never take).

• Like 3

That is totally incorrect, ermelenko arrived a long time after Hemsley was involved. I know because I assistied DH with getting the lease granted by the local council. I attended a couple of council meetings and also ran a Stars V Leicester meeting to raise public awareness (received good local TV news coverage).

I was never in it to be the promoter but saw it as an opportunity to help, as I am sure many others did. Once the lease was agreed and planning consented DH went about raising the funds to build the stadium, at that point I was no longer involved and I believe that was when ermelenko arrived.

Ken Naylor and others will back me up on this, and whilst DH may not have proved to be a good promoter, the stadium solely exists for the Lions team to race in because of the capital he invested (which in my opinion was a risk 999 out of a 1000 would never take).

the meetings at the club down near the cycle speedway attracted good media attention , I was at the very last one , when everything was signed and sealed , and Hemsley was introduced as the new Messiah

Edited by speedibee
  • Like 1

the meetings at the club down near the cycle speedway attracted good media attention , I was at the very last one , when everything was signed and sealed , and Hemsley was introduced as the new Messiah

I am sure it did but what about the 2 to 3 years previous, who do you think was behind getting to that point?

Look maybe it was explained at the time and obviously you was not prove to all the work beforehand, but I can assure you this is what happened and Ermelenko only came along after the majority of the work had been done by DJ and many others such as Ken Naylor and myself.

Actually thinking about it, it was definitely never explained as I never even got a 'thank you' and neither did many others, we were brushed aside as soon as DH got planning.

Update: I can confirm ermelenko was introduced to the fans in November 2009 whilst this video from a TV news story in 2007 confirms majority of what I have previously said

Edited by jchapman

I am sure it did but what about the 2 to 3 years previous, who do you think was behind getting to that point?

Look maybe it was explained at the time and obviously you was not prove to all the work beforehand, but I can assure you this is what happened and Ermelenko only came along after the majority of the work had been done by DJ and many others such as Ken Naylor and myself.

Actually thinking about it, it was definitely never explained as I never even got a 'thank you' and neither did many others, we were brushed aside as soon as DH got planning.

Update: I can confirm ermelenko was introduced to the fans in November 2009 whilst this video from a TV news story in 2007 confirms majority of what I have previously said

Jonathan, Thanks for confirming the dateline of Sams involvement etc. There is somewhere a youtube video of DH introducing Ermolenko to the supporters for the first time which supports your feedback although didn't realise you had been pushed aside once DH had got things sorted, though I did wonder why you had not continued your involvement alongside Ken Naylor and others. so a belated thank you for all that the tremendous work and effort you put contributed in getting the Lions back up and running in Leicester.

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 2

Jonathon.

It is a shame that so many people who put in so much effort to get speedway back up and running again in Leicester, where just pushed aside, with not a single word of thanks, by a person who only had his own ideals and dreams to be solely in chanrge of the club.

If things had been done differently then the Lions may not have been in the mess they where in last year, you could see it going downhill for a long time. But he would not listen to anyone until it was far to late.

I hope that now there is a new management team in place that the Lions can be a team worth reconing with.

Can't wait to hear the full news on what happens with the Lions this season, who we have as manager, I know we have heard rummors but you still have to see it in print. Plus will we get a eam of 7 riders that can go out there and do the business. Making the fans proud at long last to say they follow the Lions.

• Like 1

Reading Darcys interview in the star, he doesn't hang back in slating Hemsley. States he should have gone 2 or 3 seasons ago and was walking around lording the place with sunglasses on his head whilst not paying the riders.

Now I thought Hemsley still owns the place. He is obviously going to read the interview in the star. Isn't the interview going to antagonise Hemsley in such a way he throws Darcy out? From all reports Hemsley seems to be a volatile person.

• Like 2

From all reports Hemsley seems to be a volatile person.

What reports?

Have always found him polite and fairly easy to get on with.

• Like 1

What reports?

Have always found him polite and fairly easy to get on with.

When I parked next to a Leicester fan, I asked how life was with DH in charge.

The Leicester fan said and I quote :

Helmsley is an arrogant bastard who does not listen to anyone but himself.

Personally , I have given up going to Leicester since the track is poor.

Edited by Gunner85

Who do you guys think will be in your team. I can see a few riders who were slated by previous management returning.

I don't know how the averages fit or the polish rule but

Mads

Michealsen

Sedgeman

Schlien

Bridger

Buzkowski

Morris Nielsen

Maybe others like kylmakorpi and Kim Jansen in the mix? But it would mean a weaker reserve

Edited by Danny Connor

A referee might disagree with you.

so just the one report then. Like I say I have found him polite to deal with but of course am fully aware that I'm not in business with. I'm sure we are all different in work to out.

When I parked next to a Leicester fan, I asked how life was with DH in charge.

The Leicester fan said and I quote :

Helmsley is an arrogant bastard who does not listen to anyone but himself.

Personally , I have given up going to Leicester since the track is poor.

Of course that's your choice. Personally I prefer to have my own opinion on someone than listen to what Joe Bloggs has to say about someone.

I said this and got blasted..

You said gardening didn't happen in years gone by. I got a bunch of 1980s belle vue dvds for Xmas, and in one of those the commentator is moaning about the amount of gardening in "modern" speedway.

You got blasted because you were wrong and wouldn't admit it, totally out of character as that may be.

Jonathon.

It is a shame that so many people who put in so much effort to get speedway back up and running again in Leicester, where just pushed aside, with not a single word of thanks, by a person who only had his own ideals and dreams to be solely in chanrge of the club.

If things had been done differently then the Lions may not have been in the mess they where in last year, you could see it going downhill for a long time. But he would not listen to anyone until it was far to late.

I hope that now there is a new management team in place that the Lions can be a team worth reconing with.

Can't wait to hear the full news on what happens with the Lions this season, who we have as manager, I know we have heard rummors but you still have to see it in print. Plus will we get a eam of 7 riders that can go out there and do the business. Making the fans proud at long last to say they follow the Lions.

I could also see it going down hill and still having a small emotional attachment I put olive branch out to DH by text and FB messenger last winter.I was back in the UK for a period and was happy to assist in getting the mistakes corrected and making it a success.... I never heard back.

Like I have said before, without DH's financial commitment and risk the stadium would never have been built, so in my opinion he thoroughly deserved his opportunity at running the club. Just a shame for the fans he was reluctant to accept the majority of help or advice given to him, and in hindsight I would hope he realises that his biggest downfall was not respecting the people who helped him get where he was and listen to the people that matter the most, the fans!

• Like 2