Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

Robert72 - Mr Hemsley is no longer pulling the strings at Leicester with the Speedway operation he is just the stadium owner and I understand relationship with the new promotion is good and positive talks have been had about track changes it's just case on ironing out the financials of the work as the promotion feel that DH should pay towards it as his stadium

Good grief. This should have been resolved as part of the lease agreement. Are you saying it wasn't?

If Hemsleys now expected to stump up some money, in the words of Kenny Carter they've got nooooooooo chance.

• Like 1

It would be quicker to have a whip round amongst the fans to get the bloody track altered.

I hear it will cost 15 thousand + to get it done. Isn't there a speedway fan out there or sponsor with heavy machinery who could loan the club the equipment needed (at cost price), and in return receive free programe and banner advertising and a free evening at the stadium for the workers of said company? A clarion call for volunteers to help with the lugging of drainage pipes etc will always bring in extra hands.

Come on get it done. It will pay big dividends further down the line.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Good grief. This should have been resolved as part of the lease agreement. Are you saying it wasn't?

If Hemsleys now expected to stump up some money, in the words of Kenny Carter they've got nooooooooo chance.

Flagrag says"the promotion feel that DH should pay towards it as his stadium" rather than pay for all of it, but as DH would receive no extra revenue it is hard to imagine why he should feel inclined to oblige the promoters.

If the track failed to conform to a required standard (and unfortunately a track that facilitates passing is not one of them) then that would be a different matter.

Maybe the promoters are looking for a gesture of goodwill from DH but considering he did not pay for the changes on bends 3&4 last year when he owned both the track and the promotion (which incidentally the budget was £6K for all four bends so cant see this year it is £15k for two), It is difficult to see him forking out now & frankly why should he?

Maybe the way forward is to include an element of payment to DH based on an increase in attendance, so a better raceway would equal better races and possibly a higher attendance at meetings.

Having been involved in the hiring of stadiums for events I know the per capita bonus approach works well in the interests of both parties so (if not already included in the lease agreement) this sticking point could be resolved by providing for DH the possibility of seeing a return on his additional investment in contributing to the required track improvements.

Edited by 1 valve

It would be quicker to have a whip round amongst the fans to get the bloody track altered.

Nice one. I'll chip in a tenner if you're up for it...
  • Like 1

I am Sorry if my comment has been taken in the wrong context the deal for the running of Speedway at Leicester this season and for the for the next few years is done and completed. I believe there are clauses in there from both sides but they will remain between the two parties but are all good for the operation of Speedway.

As i said before the track changes will happen and is just a case of confirming the work and start date, The promotion know it's important and that what riders & fans want/need at the end of the day it's their business and money so they need to make it a success which I am sure they will do.

• Like 1

Hi all,

After 5 years at Leicester my time there has come to an end.

I am posting this as a few of you have been PMing me re track changes. I have no clue as to what is happening or going to happen re track changes.

I wish the new promotion the best of luck as they are going to need it.

Glyn

• Like 2

Hi all,

I am posting this as a few of you have been PMing me re track changes. I have no clue as to what is happening or going to happen re track changes.

Glyn

Shame that Glyn. You did a fantastic job under sometimes very difficult circumstances.

• Like 6

Hi all,

Glyn

Not sure if Glyn has jumped ship or has been pushed, if the latter then it is strange that the new promotion do not want to have the benefit of his knowledge and dedication given the results of a job he has excelled at.

Guess the new guys have suitable alternatives.

Best of luck Glyn and thanks for all of your past efforts.

• Like 1

Glyn.

Sorry to see you go, you tried your best under hard circumstances. You was only allowed to do what you where told to do, with no amount of complaints from fans and also a number of riders, we all know if it had been your call you would have ripped the whole lot up and started from scratch. Best of luck for the future, just hope you can find another club that will use you to your full capacity as track curatoer. 5 years hard work, the time has gone so fast, just look where it all ended in those 5 years, from a grand opening to a depresing fall.

• Like 2

Not sure if Glyn has jumped ship or has been pushed, if the latter then it is strange that the new promotion do not want to have the benefit of his knowledge and dedication given the results of a job he has excelled at.

Guess the new guys have suitable alternatives.

Best of luck Glyn and thanks for all of your past efforts.

the new promotion , wont be short of expertise when it comes to building/maintaining a racetrack ,

• Like 1

I never jumped ship. Found out from a friend that someone else had been given the job. I heard nothing until I phoned Buster and was then told that someone else was doing it.

I then found out that it was the guy who has been helping me for the last 5 years. I had been talking to him weekly since the season had finished he never said a thing.

Glyn

I never jumped ship. Found out from a friend that someone else had been given the job. I heard nothing until I phoned Buster and was then told that someone else was doing it.

I then found out that it was the guy who has been helping me for the last 5 years. I had been talking to him weekly since the season had finished he never said a thing.

Glyn

That's quite the norm. I remember having a weekly gig at a club in Bournemouth. Did every Friday night and built it up from nothing, and I mean nothing, to having it packed out every Friday. The place was very popular. I had a 'mate' who used to look after the decks while I took a p break and got a drink. Then the club changed hands and closed for a month for a refit.

I popped in a week before it was due to open to see how things were coming along, to be told my services were no longer required. My "mate" had been in and told the new owner he could do the same as me for beer money. (I took half the door money). So I paid the 'mate' a visit and asked him what he was up to. The bloke didn't know where to put his face.

Needless to say he didn't have a clue and the night died on its feet very quickly. I got a call asking if I wanted it back and got great joy in telling the new owners where to shove it.

• Like 2

Glyn

Nothing changes! All cloak and dagger.

All the best for the future, Glyn.

Thank you.

• Like 2