Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

I'm hearing a strong rumour about a necessary change of plan at Leicester from that publicly announced earlier this month, largely because of financial reasons. IF what I was told is true (and who knows what is and isn't in this crazy sport anymore?) Mick Horton could walk away from the sorry mess at Brandon, bringing his riders with him, remedy the aforementioned financial issue, and take on the promoting rights here instead.

If you take the club loyalty, emotional side of things out of it, it makes perfect sense.... Leicester has a track and no team. Coventry has a team and no track (not with shale on it anyway!). Do the BSPA lose two clubs or save one?

Can you imagine? Leicester Bees!

A desperate situation all round. Is it too far-fetched?

I think it's highly likely that Horton will take over at Leicester. Leicester Lions will be Leicester Lions though and I don't think the Leicester line up will be all the Bees 1-7. This is probably why there is a chance of Coventry Bees at least starting the season at Leicester.

I don't think Leicester fans would walk away as they have no team at all at the moment unless I've missed a signing. They'd soon get used to the new riders and after a few matches it would be 'their' team. I'm sure one season, although I can't remember which one, Coventry had a completely different 1-7 and how things are in Speedway it's rare for many riders to continue with the same club they were with the previous year. Having Mick Horton as promoter might be the fly in the ointment though. Good luck with that. :P

It's the rumour of the name change to the "Leicester Bees" that would upset the fans...... Not the re-allocation of the promoter/riders.

Surely, such a huge decision would be discussed openly to guage fans of both tracks reactions?

You're joking! Fans are the least concern and best kept in the dark about anything they're planning on doing. Anyway, it's been discussed on Facebook and I would say perhaps 10% of Bees fans would still get their Speedway fix at Leicester. Others plan on going to either Birmingham or Wolves and some giving up altogether.

i thought the Coventry riders hadn't actually signed contracts yet, so I'm guessing it might not be the full 1 - 7 Coventry announced if they don't want Leicester as a home track?

It's the rumour of the name change to the "Leicester Bees" that would upset the fans...... Not the re-allocation of the promoter/riders.

I very much doubt if that would ever happen. Just another silly rumour.

• Like 1

i thought the Coventry riders hadn't actually signed contracts yet, so I'm guessing it might not be the full 1 - 7 Coventry announced if they don't want Leicester as a home track?

Ahh, so it's been discussed on Facebook, that's alright then.... Not!!

Not everyone uses Facebook!!

• Like 1

Well tough ~ you should join. I'll be your friend to start you off. :lol: This was discussed on the Coventry Bees site on Facebook.

Same as it being discussed on here not everyone uses this site

• Like 2

If only a half of what's been said on the Bees thread about Horton is true and he moves lock stock and barrel to Leicester then perhaps we should start a bring back Hemsley petition.

Edited by Happy Hunter
  • Like 3

I don't think Leicester fans would walk away as they have no team at all at the moment unless I've missed a signing. They'd soon get used to the new riders and after a few matches it would be 'their' team. I'm sure one season, although I can't remember which one, Coventry had a completely different 1-7 and how things are in Speedway it's rare for many riders to continue with the same club they were with the previous year. Having Mick Horton as promoter might be the fly in the ointment though. Good luck with that. :P

I think you might have underestimated the strength of feeling of Lions fans on this.

I can't see the BSPA allowing Horton to go straight into a position of power at another club, after failing the Coventry faithful. I wouldn't mind the Lions picking a FEW of the Bees riders to maintain them within the sport in the country, but I think it would put off a lot of Leicester fans to see an entire Coventry 1-7... Especially when riders like Josh Auty (who has stuck with the club for the last couple of seasons- and given 110%), don't have a team place in the Premiership. and I really couldn't become one of those people that tries to argue that 'James Sarjeant always makes fair starts... he doesn't deserve his reputation'!

Coventry fans wouldn't support a team called Leicester and Leicester fans wouldn't support what we know is a Coventry team! I seriously hope they sort the situation at Brandon, and there are two teams at the tapes in 2017 for an M69 derby, but if they try to amalgamate the clubs, they'll end up with neither.

Can you imagine? Leicester Bees!

A desperate situation all round. Is it too far-fetched?

I said EXACTLY this a week ago to howls of derision.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=82240&view=findpost&p=2909659

Edited by Steve Shovlar

If Mick Horton becomes co/sole promoter at Leicester then I would guess he would take a few riders with him along the M69,

If he thinks bees fans will travel to support a team wearing the Leicester race suit then he is seriously misguided.

It can't be called Leicester Bees. That would alienate both sets of fans. If the team is moved to Leicester thats the end of Coventry Bees.

Hope that isn't the final scenario. But who would Leicester want in charge? Horton or Darcy?

Edited by Steve Shovlar