British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2017

It can't be called Leicester Bees. That would alienate both sets of fans. If the team is moved to Leicester thats the end of Coventry Bees.

Hope that isn't the final scenario. But who would Leicester want in charge? Horton or Darcy?

Somebody who wouldn't try to borrow the air fence and forget about returning it would be a good start.

Somebody who wouldn't try to borrow the air fence and forget about returning it would be a good start.

Bet ya bottom dollar..

If it's Horton....... Then there's no Darcy..

Bet ya bottom dollar..

If it's Horton....... Then there's no Darcy..

If it's Horton Leicester supporters have my sympathy, a new start towards the beginning of the end. Better hope it's Darcy as it has been agreed he should be running the show and should it be a joint partnership I could see Darcy getting pushed aside into the background and that in itself is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

I think you might have underestimated the strength of feeling of Lions fans on this.

Well Lions need some riders so where else are they going to come from? I'm a Leicester fan too and my strength of feeling is zero about using some of the Coventry riders. I couldn't care less really as the riders I wouldn't be keen on have all gone elsewhere thank goodness.

......Beckettlion..........Coventry fans wouldn't support a team called Leicester and Leicester fans wouldn't support what we know is a Coventry team! I seriously hope they sort the situation at Brandon, and there are two teams at the tapes in 2017 for an M69 derby, but if they try to amalgamate the clubs, they'll end up with neither.

Coventry would be finished so none of the Bees fans would be expected to support a team called Leicester. It would just be the case of probably using a few of their riders. This happens all the time with riders switching clubs during the close season. The biggest worry would be having Mick Horton as a promoter so start praying that doesn't happen. :lol:

Edited by Gemini

Well Lions need some riders so where else are they going to come from? I'm a Leicester fan too and my strength of feeling is zero about using some of the Coventry riders. I couldn't care less really as the riders I wouldn't be keen on have all gone elsewhere thank goodness.

Coventry would be finished so none of the Bees fans would be expected to support a team called Leicester. It would just be the case of probably using a few of their riders. This happens all the time with riders switching clubs during the close season. The biggest worry would be having Mick Horton as a promoter so start praying that doesn't happen. :lol:

I think you'll find out it is Not gonna be Darcy at all... Be prepared for this news.

I think that the way Leicester have been used and the lack of respect to Leicester fans throughout this Coventry saga is appalling. I am resentful of Leicester being used as a fall back option, a second choice for all things Coventry to the extent we have yet to sign riders or sort ourselves out. Silence from Leicester is deafening and it's a disgrace.

I want both Leicester and Coventry to run and if a temporary use of BP is needed for Coventry so be it but that's all the Coventry involvement and association I want.

• Like 2

I think that the way Leicester have been used and the lack of respect to Leicester fans throughout this Coventry saga is appalling. I am resentful of Leicester being used as a fall back option, a second choice for all things Coventry to the extent we have yet to sign riders or sort ourselves out. Silence from Leicester is deafening and it's a disgrace.

I want both Leicester and Coventry to run and if a temporary use of BP is needed for Coventry so be it but that's all the Coventry involvement and association I want.

Think you'll be disappointed..

Don't think anyone from Leicester could come up with the rest of the dosh needed to fit alongside the BSPA's contribution to the lease.. This is why I'm positive we'll end up with Horton..

• Like 1

Think you'll be disappointed..

Don't think anyone from Leicester could come up with the rest of the dosh needed to fit alongside the BSPA's contribution to the lease.. This is why I'm positive we'll end up with Horton..

Then it's time for the Leicester supporters club and all there fans to get together and try and raise the money for the lease . Peterborough supporters did when Horton left Panthers in a mess and we are now in safe hands with Ged Rathbone top man and promoter and a thriving supporters club . Come on you Lions fans i'm sure you can do it, and it's better than the alternative.

• Like 1

Then it's time for the Leicester supporters club and all there fans to get together and try and raise the money for the lease . Peterborough supporters did when Horton left Panthers in a mess and we are now in safe hands with Ged Rathbone top man and promoter and a thriving supporters club . Come on you Lions fans i'm sure you can do it, and it's better than the alternative.

This is a great idea, however the fans need to know the real situation at the club and a window of opportunity opened for this to progress.

• Like 1

So if Horton bought Leicester does that mean the BSPA chairman financially benefitted from the situation? I hope not.

• Like 1

So how can Darcy say he is the new promoter at Leicester if he hasn't got the money to pay for the lease? Surely before announcing he is the new man he would have all his finances in place? Or is he just a chancer who saw an opportunity and blagged it? I can't believe the BSPA would allow him to get so far without his finances being thoroughly vetted.

If he is financially capable and is then pushed aside, he would certainly have a case to seek compensation, unless he was just a puppet promoter employed by Chapman as a front man.

It just gets messier by the day. The crap is really about to hit the fan(s).

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

So how can Darcy say he is the new promoter at Leicester if he hasn't got the money to pay for the lease? Surely before announcing he is the new man he would have all his finances in place? Or is he just a chancer who saw an opportunity and blagged it? I can't believe the BSPA would allow him to get so far without his finances being thoroughly vetted.

If he is financially capable and is then pushed aside, he would certainly have a case to seek compensation, unless he was just a puppet promoter employed by Chapman as a front man.

It just gets messier by the day. The crap is really about to hit the fan(s).

I think it beggars belief that 2 weeks after the announcement that Leicester had been saved the full details have not been released. I know tsunami believes we should be grateful of the new leader and his hard work, however I have no idea why the communication with fans has been so bad.

Unfortunately, I think the damage from this will far outway any positives and the sport will remain on life support for the foreseable future.

As I often advise businesses, just because someone is a great guy to have in the trenches with you, it does not mean you would want then planning the attack.

Edited by jchapman
  • Like 1

It may well be a done deal for Horton to promote at Leicester but even he cannot surely be daft enough to call it Leicester Bees! For some reason Horton is looked upon as a "suitable man of stature" by the BSPA ( which is after all a group of businessmen who slap each other's backs if the face fits - as Horton's seems to ). I think Buster is going to be the main promoter at Leicester ( as he is at King's Lynn ) and that Darcy or Horton will be the puppet promoter. Horton is not a "suitable man of stature" to run and ruin yet another club but nothing in speedway is run in an above board and transparent manner is it?

It may well be a done deal for Horton to promote at Leicester but even he cannot surely be daft enough to call it Leicester Bees! For some reason Horton is looked upon as a "suitable man of stature" by the BSPA ( which is after all a group of businessmen who slap each other's backs if the face fits - as Horton's seems to ). I think Buster is going to be the main promoter at Leicester ( as he is at King's Lynn ) and that Darcy or Horton will be the puppet promoter. Horton is not a "suitable man of stature" to run and ruin yet another club but nothing in speedway is run in an above board and transparent manner is it?

It won't be. It'll be Leicester Lions and maybe Coventry Bees, two seperate teams.

• Like 3