British Speedway Forum
daveallan81

Uk Results 1965-84

As you are probably able to deduce from my recent gamut of requests for information, work on season results lists from 1965 to 1984 is getting towards the sharp end. The lists are born of Barry Stephenson's original Excel files. Under close scrutiny several discrepancies were discovered so a decision was taken to rebuild them from scratch. The finished lists will be published on Speedway Researcher and hopefully the SGB website.

Of course Barry's lists go on beyond 1984. However I'm all out of Speedway Stars at that point, and yearbooks and online research alone are not enough to avoid a long list of queries forming. Once the first set has been published I'll take a look at 85 onwards and perhaps then I can appeal for contributors to help complete the project.

For now, over 20,000 lines of information later, I'm left with the following queries to resolve. A couple of these are already posted in other threads but I'm sure you'll excuse me.

10/06 & 15/06/1968 Belfast Dunmore v All Stars
What was the outcome of these matches? I suspect the latter date was a restaging.

3/08/1969 Belle Vue Northern Riders Championship QR Abandoned heat 9 - rain
Were the points scored in this wash out included in riders' overall qualifying points totals? In other words, did the result stand?

28/05/1970 Teesside v Canterbury (BL2) Postponed
I have a note stating Canterbury failed to arrive for this match. Teesside instead staged a challenge against a Northern Select. Confirm that Crusaders didn't show up.

28/08/1970 Workington v Stars of the League (CH) 42-36
Confirm date and result.

07/06/1971 Scunthorpe v Workington (CH) 40-38
Confirm date and result.

10/06/1971 Ipswich v Peterborough (KOC) Rained off
Confirm rained off and restaged 12/06.

23/09/1971 Ipswich v Canterbury (BL2) Rained off
Confirm rained off and restaged 24/09.

25/09/1971 Kings Lynn Eastern Grass Track Speedway Championship (Individual)
Meeting date & title confirmed (see below). Just the winner required now.

15/10/1972 Rye House Gerald Hussey Memorial Trophy
Confirm date and result. Possibly not staged.

27/09/1974 Peterborough v Berwick (BL2) Rained off
Confirm Berwick were second half of a double header with Barrow.

25/10/1979 Wimbledon v Hackney (London Cup L2)
Possibly one heat run before rain off. If so, result of that heat required. Confirmation of date also required.

14/07/1980 Birmingham Philishave Fours (4TT) Rained off
Names of competing teams required.

Edited by daveallan81
  • Like 3

As you are probably able to deduce from my recent gamut of requests for information, work on season results lists from 1965 to 1984 is getting towards the sharp end. The lists are born of Barry Stephenson's original Excel files. Under close scrutiny several discrepancies were discovered so a decision was taken to rebuild them from scratch. The finished lists will be published on Speedway Researcher and hopefully the SGB website.

Of course Barry's lists go on beyond 1984. However I'm all out of Speedway Stars at that point, and yearbooks and online research alone are not enough to avoid a long list of queries forming. Once the first set has been published I'll take a look at 85 onwards and perhaps then I can appeal for contributors to help complete the project.

For now, over 20,000 lines of information later, I'm left with the following queries to resolve. A couple of these are already posted in other threads but I'm sure you'll excuse me.

What was the outcome of these matches? I suspect the latter date was a restaging.

Were the points scored in this wash out included in riders' overall qualifying points totals? In other words, did the result stand?

I have a note stating Canterbury failed to arrive for this match. Teesside instead staged a challenge against a Northern Select. Confirm that Crusaders didn't show up.

Confirm date and result.

Confirm date and result.

25/09/1971 Kings Lynn EGT Speed Championship (Individual)

No idea what this meeting was about. Possibly a 'cavalcade of speed' type of meeting? Any information at all welcomed.

Possibly one heat run before rain off. If so, result of that heat required. Confirmation of date also required.

This will be a remarkable and impressive Resource.

A real labour of love.

I sincerely hope that you get all the information that you require Dave.

I'm only sorry I can't help.

• Like 1

Confirm date and result.

Confirm date and result.

No idea what this meeting was about. Possibly a 'cavalcade of speed' type of meeting? Any information at all welcomed.

I tried to send you what I thought was a helpful personal message but you have blocked me so I guess we'll forget all about it! :lol:

Edited by Guest

I can assist with the following information for 3 of your queries.

The Speedway Star match result states "When the news came through to Teesside that the coach carrying the entire Canterbury team, apart from Barry Crowson, had broken down on the M1, promoter Ron Wilson had a king-size problem on his hands." A challenge match between Middlesbrough and Northern Select took the place of the Canterbury match with a 43-35 win for Middlesbrough.

I have a Scunthorpe programme from 04/07/1971 and on the fixtures page it confirms the date and result of this match as 07/06/1971 Scunthorpe 40 Workington 38. The Speedway Star gives no details of the result.

The Speedway Star match results for 12/06/1971 states "After winning at Peterborough on Friday night they crushed their opponents in this Saturday afternoon second leg, the original Thursday night date being rained off." The result on 12/06/1971 was Ipswich 57 Peterborough 21.

The Speedway Star match results for 24/09/1971 states "This match was held over for 24 hours because of heavy Thursday night rain." The result on 24/09/1971 was Ipswich 48 Canterbury 29.

• Like 1

I have the programme from the meeting but with no heat details.

The meeting itself was the Eastern Grass Track Speedway Championship. It was a traditional 16 rider field and the main meeting staged over 16 heats.

The programmed lineup was:

1. Denny Barber

2. Alan Witt

3. Terry Owen

4. Tony Ryall

5. Tony Steggles

6. Mervyn Price

7. Harry Godding

8. Bill Sandford

9. Colin Sweby

10. Ton Owen

11. Julian Wigg

12. Jim Rohn

13. Brian Gladwell

14. Tig Perry

15. Robert Stanford

16. Colin Flexman

Hope that helps.

Cheers for that. Do you have the following meetings' programme - 2nd October D/H - in case it carries mention of the winner?

Yes, have the programme from the Oxford & Coventry D/H so will check it out tonight to see if it carries any information.

• Like 1

Checked the programmes from D/H 02/10, Wembley 09/10 and Leicester 15/10 and sorry to say no mention of the meeting in any of them.

It doesn't even feature in the Stars fixture list on the back page of the programme.

Thanks for taking a look.

No worries. If I can help with any King's Lynn related queries just let me know.