British Speedway Forum

Does anyone know which teams will be participating in the qualifying rounds for SWC 2017.

Italy have been in it recently in qualifiers, but has anyone seen France or Austria in it recently, I mean in the last 10 years!

Austria last competed in 2004, finishing last in the qualifying round in Gyula.

France last competed in 2013, finishing last in the qualifying round in Miskolc.

Since 2013 there has only been 1 qualifying round rather than 2.

Not even sure Austria have enough riders for a team now.I asked about how many Austrian riders they have and the answer was the 2 riding in the UK plus a couple of juniors

Not even sure Austria have enough riders for a team now.I asked about how many Austrian riders they have and the answer was the 2 riding in the UK plus a couple of juniors

In today's Josef Bossner Memorial mtg (16th, at Mureck,) only one Austrian, Daniel Gappmaier, is named in the field, plus 2 slots for 'qualifiers', (i.e. juniors, I guess. )

In last month's mtg the only 2 Austrians, Alexander Schaaf and Alexander Schreiner, held up the score chart (from the bottom) with 1 and 0 pts resp'ly. ( . . probably they're the 2 juniors.)

ONCE went to a meeting in Austria with Briggo in which Bossner was the promoter, announcer, TV commentator (not live) and rider. Quite a character.

FIM ccp meets on Nov 11th (???) to discuss calendars and allocations. After that it should leak out who applied what and who rides where.

Edited by f-s-p
  • Like 1

ONCE went to a meeting in Austria with Briggo in which Bossner was the promoter, announcer, TV commentator (not live) and rider. Quite a character.

Another Trevor Redmond!

In today's Josef Bossner Memorial mtg (16th, at Mureck,) only one Austrian, Daniel Gappmaier, is named in the field, plus 2 slots for 'qualifiers', (i.e. juniors, I guess. )

In last month's mtg the only 2 Austrians, Alexander Schaaf and Alexander Schreiner, held up the score chart (from the bottom) with 1 and 0 pts resp'ly. ( . . probably they're the 2 juniors.)

Result of the 11th Josef Bossner Memorial, 16.10.2016

1. Norbert Magosi (H). 2. Zdenek Simota (CZ). 3. Marcel Kajzer (PL). 4. Jakub Jamrog (PL). 5. Denis Stojs (SLO). 6. Marcin Rempala (PL). 7. Simon Selch (DK). 8. Daniel Gappmaier (A). 9. Dmytro Mostovyk (UA). 10. Mike Jacopetti (D). 11. Matic Ivacic (SLO). 12. Kenni T. Hansen (DK). 13. Rafal Konopka (PL). 14. Alexander Schaaf (A). 15. Alexander Schreiner (A). 16. Marcel Bicher (A). 17. Robert Grichtmaier (A). 18. Philipp Kirchsteiger (A).

Edited by britmet

Other than Dany Gappmaier and Sebastian Kossler, are there any other austrian riders currently racing? I haven't seen the names of Mike Jacopetti, Robert Grichtmeier or Phillip Kirchsteiger mentioned for a few years.

Edited by Loyal hammer

1 hour ago, Loyal hammer said:

Other than Dany Gappmaier and Sebastian Kossler, are there any other austrian riders currently racing? I haven't seen the names of Mike Jacopetti, Robert Grichtmeier or Phillip Kirchsteiger mentioned for a few years.

There are currently no other Austrian speedway riders, but only the two You have mentioned, Daniel Gappmaier and the sixteen year old junior rider Sebastian Kössler.

By the way Robert Grichtmeier is not an Austria, he is German (Bavarian) and already 50+.

21 hours ago, Bavarian said:

There are currently no other Austrian speedway riders, but only the two You have mentioned, Daniel Gappmaier and the sixteen year old junior rider Sebastian Kössler.

By the way Robert Grichtmeier is not an Austria, he is German (Bavarian) and already 50+.

Sad, when you think of the amount of Austrians racing years ago. The Funks, Pilottos, Schatzer, Eder...

Vienna/Austria once was a hotbed for speedway here on the Continent. The sport was very popular there in the 1950s with top international riders such as Fritz Dirtl, Josef Kamper and the Killmeyer brothers Karl and Leopold. Briggs, Moore, and Fundin often rode in open international meetings at the huge Prater Stadium in Vienna in the late50s/early 60s.