British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sherborne Green

Which Speedway Clubs Are Making A Profit.

Would the answer to miadfa8's question be BSI?

Would be interesting to know figures for Go speed too.

Interesting that you mention this. If you look at my avatar you will see that the captain of the cycle speedway team (Hackney Cheetahs) is connected with Go speed. For my sins I am kneeling at the front, left hand side.

The available figures are all there on Companies House site - if the accounts have been filed! Not all clubs appear to remember to do that....

(Go Speed)

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07107559/filing-history

So what about the clubs that don't appear in this helpful list?

Is there no legal requirement for them to file accounts or are they operating on some kind of sole trader basis?

I would be really interested to find out a bit more about the mysterious world of speedway finance.

:o

Net worth doesn't necessarily equate to solvency. A company with net assets higher than net liabilities doesn't neccesarily indicate it is not being propped up by a shareholder.

Good of the poster to post those network figures, but tbh they are basically meaningless without the details behind them and a p&l.

• Like 1

So what about the clubs that don't appear in this helpful list?

Is there no legal requirement for them to file accounts or are they operating on some kind of sole trader basis?

I would be really interested to find out a bit more about the mysterious world of speedway finance.

:o

All clubs will have to file Accounts, but their trading name is not always obvious.

Plymouth, for example, trade(d) as Peninsula Promotions Ltd, which isn't exaclty the first name you would expect.

Others may form a similar pattern.

The information is out there though, just may take a bit of time to find it in some cases.

All clubs will have to file Accounts, but their trading name is not always obvious.

Plymouth, for example, trade(d) as Peninsula Promotions Ltd, which isn't exaclty the first name you would expect.

The information is out there though, just may take a bit of time to find it in some cases.

........not just time but obviously people as resourceful as MrMungo and miadfa8 who could surely just have a little dig for us?

:)

What difference will it make to us? Unless someone is thinking about going into speedway promotion.....

All we really want is for our clubs to be run well, for the fans and riders and staff to feel valued. For our promotions to seemingly be doing all they can to make our clubs a success. We all know whether they are or not, in our opinions, but the reasons we may think they are or more importantly are not, aren't all the same. That is the frustrating part but I guess there's only one answer to that.

All clubs will have to file Accounts

Assuming they're limited companies. I think the BSPA is something like a unincorporated association which isn't required to file AFAIK.

........not just time but obviously people as resourceful as MrMungo and miadfa8 who could surely just have a little dig for us?

:)

I did look by directors' names as well. If you search for Chris Van Straaten it shows he is a director of Cradley, Redcar and what appears to be his families Steel stockholding business. Absolutely no mention of Wolves. So Wolves may trade a sole trader or partnership (both highly unlikely) and therefore do not have to file accounts at Companies House. Alternatively as MrMungo says they could trade as ABC Limited and have directors not known to speedway circles. This makes it very difficult to trace.

I did look by directors' names as well. If you search for Chris Van Straaten it shows he is a director of Cradley, Redcar and what appears to be his families Steel stockholding business. Absolutely no mention of Wolves. So Wolves may trade a sole trader or partnership (both highly unlikely) and therefore do not have to file accounts at Companies House. Alternatively as MrMungo says they could trade as ABC Limited and have directors not known to speedway circles. This makes it very difficult to trace.

Try Powar ltd Wolverhampton

The aforementioned "Families Steel stockholding business" has "93199 - Other Sport Activities" listed as the nature of the business, which is interesting....

Only if a LTD Company

The aforementioned "Families Steel stockholding business" has "93199 - Other Sport Activities" listed as the nature of the business, which is interesting....

I missed that. Balance sheet has "Intangible assets" - £10000. Rider contracts possibly?

You can probably say the same about most clubs tbh.

But for me the biggest winner of our successful season is undoubtedly Dave Parry.Without his funds propping the club up,hate to think where we would be now.

I know lots of sponsors that would have given up long ago,given our dismal performances of the last few seasons.

But he stuck by us,and our title triumph is a just and worthly reward for his outstanding loyalty.

I've been meaning to ask for a while, and your post have given me the opportunity, but is the sponsor, Dave Parry, the same guy who rode for Wolves in the 60s?

I missed that. Balance sheet has "Intangible assets" - £10000. Rider contracts possibly?

Possibly the nominal value of the rider assets if they were sold. They're often not included in balance sheets as human resources don't have a tangible value, but transferring riders would presumably raise some money.

I've been meaning to ask for a while, and your post have given me the opportunity, but is the sponsor, Dave Parry, the same guy who rode for Wolves in the 60s?

Yep.

Not quite sure but think he scored around 15 points from half a dozen matches in 1967/68.

• Like 1