British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BWitcher

Congratulations Tai Woffinden, 2016 World Speedway Champion

Regulation 077.3.3 of FIM Grand Prix World Championship states -

"A rider who has entered the FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship and refuses or is unable to take part, is deemed to be suspended competing internationally for a period of 1 day before and up to 3 days after the Grand Prix meetings concerned. Furthermore, he shall be considered as ineligible for the FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship for the remainder of the season.

A rider who has started in the FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship must participate therein unless prevented from doing so by injury or other force majeure. A suitably qualified medical practitioner must certify injury or illness in writing to that effect."

Far be it for me to have a say,as i really don't care too much,but i think this ruling is specifically for the chosen riders at the start of the season.To stop someone being picked and then pulling out.Ok,the second sentence is obviously then for those who have "started" the GP season.Hancock started and just pulled out of the last meeting.Think you will all be arguing the toss on your own on this.The FIM had people at the meeting and doubt there will be any other decision as i guess you have to put in a protest within the relevant time and no-one did

• Like 1

Seems clear to me, can only miss a Gp through Injury or other outside reason, pulling out during the Gp with the hump makes you ineligable, he had to do all 11 rounds to be considered WC....would be karma to see the fake grin removed.

• Like 5

Regulation 077.3.3 of FIM Grand Prix World Championship states -

"A rider who has entered the FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship and refuses or is unable to take part, is deemed to be suspended competing internationally for a period of 1 day before and up to 3 days after the Grand Prix meetings concerned. Furthermore, he shall be considered as ineligible for the FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship for the remainder of the season.

A rider who has started in the FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship must participate therein unless prevented from doing so by injury or other force majeure. A suitably qualified medical practitioner must certify injury or illness in writing to that effect."

Far be it for me to have a say,as i really don't care too much,but i think this ruling is specifically for the chosen riders at the start of the season.To stop someone being picked and then pulling out.Ok,the second sentence is obviously then for those who have "started" the GP season.Hancock started and just pulled out of the last meeting.Think you will all be arguing the toss on your own on this.The FIM had people at the meeting and doubt there will be any other decision as i guess you have to put in a protest within the relevant time and no-one did

Again, you are making things up to suit your purpose.

It is 100% clear.

Again, you are making things up to suit your purpose.

It is 100% clear.

As i stated quite clearly i don't have a 'purpose'.I have pointed out a few times before i am absolutely no fan of Hancock.Try again

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Jason Crump in his commentary said Greg Hancock should not have been excluded

Surely Tai Woffenden did exactly the same in Heat 11 letting Antonio Lindback through on the last lap by also going so wide on the bend

Thought Hancock was well out of order, however what about the joker situation in the World Cup when riders deliberately slow to avoid letting the opposition use the joker. Different circumstances same principal though. It's a form of cheating

• Like 2

Thought Hancock was well out of order, however what about the joker situation in the World Cup when riders deliberately slow to avoid letting the opposition use the joker. Different circumstances same principal though. It's a form of cheating

The difference is in the SWC you sometimes have to drop a point for you to gain later on, it's tactical. But in the SGP you're only ever racing for yourself and there is nothing to be gained by letting an opponent through, you're simply helping someone else which is match fixing.

The difference is in the SWC you sometimes have to drop a point for you to gain later on, it's tactical. But in the SGP you're only ever racing for yourself and there is nothing to be gained by letting an opponent through, you're simply helping someone else which is match fixing.

Are the rules not the same though, in that you have to be seen to be racing? In a league match when 2 riders from the same team are dq'd, the 2 remaining riders in the heat have to be seen to be racing?

As i stated quite clearly i don't have a 'purpose'.I have pointed out a few times before i am absolutely no fan of Hancock.Try again

I don't need to try again, you've invented something that isn't there.

The rule is 100% clear, very unusual for speedway.

Are the rules not the same though, in that you have to be seen to be racing? In a league match when 2 riders from the same team are dq'd, the 2 remaining riders in the heat have to be seen to be racing?

I don't believe there is a rule that says riders have to race. Not since the 80s any way.

Greg was excluded for unsporting conduct.

Edited by SCB

What about a situition where you can drop a point to ensure a rival misses out on the semis. That would be gaining a tactical advantage.

As it stands seems greg was excluded for unsportsmanlike behaviour, both scenarios (I. E. Inc the swc one) could be said to be unsportsmanlike.

That said, it has happened so much it's odd greg got singled out for it (though I agree with the decision).

All of which is I guess beside the point, the point is whether greg should be in elegible for rest of the series and whether that precludes him ftom being world champion.

I was leaning towards iris' interpretation, but the first section mentions "remainder of series" which would indicate it could apply from a point part way through the series.

Do the same rules apply to the sgp qualifiers? As there are countless examples there of riders pulling out.

Hmm, every time it occurs on Sky, the shouty brothers tell us that the riders have to be seen to be racing...so I have taken that to mean it is a rule.

Have noticed that Grey infringed an FMI sporting conduct rule, so hopefully this will put a stop to this kind of thing in the SWC as well?

What about a situition where you can drop a point to ensure a rival misses out on the semis. That would be gaining a tactical advantage.

As it stands seems greg was excluded for unsportsmanlike behaviour, both scenarios (I. E. Inc the swc one) could be said to be unsportsmanlike.

That said, it has happened so much it's odd greg got singled out for it (though I agree with the decision).

All of which is I guess beside the point, the point is whether greg should be in elegible for rest of the series and whether that precludes him ftom being world champion.

I was leaning towards iris' interpretation, but the first section mentions "remainder of series" which would indicate it could apply from a point part way through the series.

Do the same rules apply to the sgp qualifiers? As there are countless examples there of riders pulling out.

I really can't see why anybody is trying to interpret anything. It's crystal clear what it says. Any GP rider who withdraws from a meeting is ruled ineligible for rest of the Championship. It doesn't matter if its the first GP or the last GP. The punishment is the same, you are ineligible. Hancock, by the rules, cannot be champion of something he is ineligible for.

Of course we all know the rule won't be applied, but that doesn't change what the rule actually is.

Let's face it, rules are there which is easy too see, Hancock should be stripped of the title but it won't happen, absolutely no chance. Imagine the embarrassment, they will just stay quiet and hope the fans forget.

Let's face it, rules are there which is easy too see, Hancock should be stripped of the title but it won't happen, absolutely no chance. Imagine the embarrassment, they will just stay quiet and hope the fans forget.

It works, they forgot Warsaw etc etc etc lol
  • Like 1