British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BWitcher

Congratulations Tai Woffinden, 2016 World Speedway Champion

As another poster discovered..

Regulation 077.3.3 of FIM Grand Prix World Championship states -

"A rider who has entered the FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship and refuses or is unable to take part, is deemed to be suspended competing internationally for a period of 1 day before and up to 3 days after the Grand Prix meetings concerned. Furthermore, he shall be considered as ineligible for the FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship for the remainder of the season.
A rider who has started in the FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship must participate therein unless prevented from doing so by injury or other force majeure. A suitably qualified medical practitioner must certify injury or illness in writing to that effect."

It is crystal clear. Once Hancock withdrew from the GP he was rendered INELIGIBLE for the FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship.

It does not state any single event. Simply he is ineligible for that event. As such he cannot win it.

Holder should get a bronze after all!

• Like 3

No straws being grasped at.

It's black and white.

Hancock is ineligible for the FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship. Not a GP, not an individual event. For the Championship itself.

• Like 1

Sure but as I said in the other thread, there is no remainder of the season from which he is ineligible. World champion is the one with the most points after the final GP.

• Like 2

I think that rules pretty clear. Greg is out of the 2016 GP series. It also leave the FIM with a headache as they have two riders tied for 8th now.

Also how can you give a seasons wildcard to a rider who quit the GP series only a few weeks earlier than the nominations are decided?!

Nice to see some coming to the same conclusion I did. Can any representation be made to FIM to ensure their rules are implemented. Or would this upset the event's sponsors who will have paid them loadsamoney to do so?

I guess if a rider decided to appeal to the FIM about a breach of rules, they would have to investigate, failing that a legal challenge ( I think there is some kind of sporting court system)

Honestly cannot see any rider doing it cos it would be the end their GP career.

Another possibility is some kind of mainstream press interest, there have to be bookies who were affected too.

But hey this is speedway so it the rules will be swept aside under the environmentally friendly mat!

• Like 1

While I agree in principle with this conclusion, it's not clear cut. If the intention was that a riders point should not count towards final standings, should this not have been explicitly stated. Or the term "disqualified" been used.

I could imagine there could also be an argument that greg did not "refuse to take part" as he did ride in the meeting. Or produce a Dr's note saying that he was mentally unfit to ride in his last two heats, after the unprecedented (in a gp meeting)decision to deduct his points .

As a side note, makes you wonder why the

fim ref didn't take action against Doyle and aj in the swc.

I remember greg also being on the receiving end of such behaviour, when sudden sam let him past on the last lap of an early 90s overseas final, which gave greg the point ye needed to qualify.

Wonder if speedway star will examine this rule in depth and push for the authorities to enforce it?

I think that rules pretty clear. Greg is out of the 2016 GP series. It also leave the FIM with a headache as they have two riders tied for 8th now.

Also how can you give a seasons wildcard to a rider who quit the GP series only a few weeks earlier than the nominations are decided?!

Just got in and caught this thread, interesting but the burning question for me is, does this mean we may have to suffer Bjerre getting a place now? If so then it may be best to leave well alone and let Hancock keep the crown.

• Like 3

Just got in and caught this thread, interesting but the burning question for me is, does this mean we may have to suffer Bjerre getting a place now? If so then it may be best to leave well alone and let Hancock keep the crown.

No as Freddie still would not finish top 8.

Zagar or janowski would get promoted and not need a wildcard. I imagine bsi would give the wildcard to greg. Arguably no different to them giving one to emil.

No as Freddie still would not finish top 8.

Zagar or janowski would get promoted and not need a wildcard. I imagine bsi would give the wildcard to greg. Arguably no different to them giving one to emil.

Ah right, well in that case where can I sign the petition to strip Hancock of the title? Seriously though there should be a heavy price for what he did in walking out of the meeting.

• Like 2

I am more and more inclined to the thought that technically he did rule himself out of the GP series. I wonder if anyone is going to get the lawyers involved?

• Like 1

I am more and more inclined to the thought that technically he did rule himself out of the GP series. I wonder if anyone is going to get the lawyers involved?

No chance, Monstrous Joe won't allow that.

• Like 2

Sure but as I said in the other thread, there is no remainder of the season from which he is ineligible. World champion is the one with the most points after the final GP.

WC is the rider with the most points who is eligible for the championship

• Like 2

Of course there was. He pulled out after one race of the final GP. He then became ineligible.

The winner is then the highest ELIGIBLE points scoring rider.

There isn't even any grey areas on this one.

While I agree in principle with this conclusion, it's not clear cut. If the intention was that a riders point should not count towards final standings, should this not have been explicitly stated.

It is explicitly stated.

Said rider is ineligible for the World Championship, whether it after 1 race in the 1st GP or 3 races in the final GP.

That's it, done and dusted. You cannot win something you are not eligible for.

• Like 1