British Speedway Forum
TB1

Speedway Agm

Whatever changes are made would still bring out the moaners. The 'doer's have just had their conference, they know what they can and can't do and what they can afford. I started watching in the 50s at Belle Vue and Odsal, Halifax later reopened and was always my favourite. I sometimes acted as a mechanic and sponsor, these days I'm getting on a bit and not always so well, in the last couple of years I've visited Redcar, Sheffield and Belle Vue, when able. I think the changes make the sport look more credible to those who don't usually go or those who might be taken along for the first time, it even made the sports section of the BBC website yesterday.

I salute you, foamfence!

Your support of speedway over a considerable period of time is admirable.

Let's hope that people will continue to enjoy the sport in the years and decades ahead.

:t:

• Like 1

The season just finished was my 37th of watching speedway and today's announcement has to be about the 25th time they have said it was the BEST EVER AGM there has ever been

Funny though, this one probably has been. Business seems to have gone smoothly, possibly through agreements at the pre AGM meeting, and the press release was released about lunchtime on the third day, when it has always been released late Sunday night or even first thing Monday when held over the weekend.

Mind you I think there was an understanding that there needs to be more agreement between them with the problems that we are faced with. Could be of course that some of the old fractious characters are not there now. I have been to many AGM's which weren't really pleasant at times.

Perhaps if there had been a few more "moaners" in those days then speedway wouldn't have been allowed to deteriorate so badly and people would have put more pressure on the sport's organizers to get their act together, get people coming through the gates, provide modern decent facilities and promote the sport in a professional manner.

Instead of tracks being closed down, the environment should have been created to allow new tracks to open up.

So, foamfence, I am of the opinion that we need more moaners not less.

At least if the patient is moaning, he is still alive!

:t:

What's that story about a bad apple in a barrel ? Forever moaning turns others off even when enjoying the racing. It's still 4 riders racing around an oval after all.

I fully agree! Whatever changes had been made, you'd get the same moaners on here. I'm delighted by the changes and am already looking forward to next season.

Likewise. As said on another thread, speedway fans must be the worst fans for dissecting and complaining about their sport, when in essence, it is still basically the same product on the track. And long may it be so.

• Like 4

Whatever changes are made would still bring out the moaners. The 'doer's have just had their conference, they know what they can and can't do and what they can afford. I started watching in the 50s at Belle Vue and Odsal, Halifax later reopened and was always my favourite. I sometimes acted as a mechanic and sponsor, these days I'm getting on a bit and not always so well, in the last couple of years I've visited Redcar, Sheffield and Belle Vue, when able. I think the changes make the sport look more credible to those who don't usually go or those who might be taken along for the first time, it even made the sports section of the BBC website yesterday.

Wow that is a miracle. BBC mentions speedway -- must be a first. :rofl:

Putting aside the issues of doubling up/down , are the likes of bomber and watt going to ride for premier money when they double down ? I doubt it , so how is this helping the likes of Workington or any premier team financially ?

• Like 2

Funny though, this one probably has been. Business seems to have gone smoothly, possibly through agreements at the pre AGM meeting, and the press release was released about lunchtime on the third day, when it has always been released late Sunday night or even first thing Monday when held over the weekend.

Mind you I think there was an understanding that there needs to be more agreement between them with the problems that we are faced with. Could be of course that some of the old fractious characters are not there now. I have been to many AGM's which weren't really pleasant at times.

What's that story about a bad apple in a barrel ? Forever moaning turns others off even when enjoying the racing. It's still 4 riders racing around an oval after all.

Likewise. As said on another thread, speedway fans must be the worst fans for dissecting and complaining about their sport, when in essence, it is still basically the same product on the track. And long may it be so.

Well, I can't wait! The two people whose view on Speedway I respect the most are also happy.

Hurry up with with the fixture list and team announcements please :D

• Like 1

I`m surprised you are admitting to being a "fractious character" ;)

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

Putting aside the issues of doubling up/down , are the likes of bomber and watt going to ride for premier money when they double down ? I doubt it , so how is this helping the likes of Workington or any premier team financially ?

Teams who can afford to pay, will pay (IF indeed they want 'mega-bucks'). It will only help the 'likes of Workington' when that team visits Derwent Park and a few extra people go along to watch riders who they think might be exciting to watch and/or because they haven't seen them in the PL/Championship for a while

I don't know personal finances. But if the engines from different makers cost about the same yet maintenance is a fraction of the cost. You do the maths and I'm sure riders are doing some sums too. Easy to buy a Gerhard when your current engine expires.

Current cost of GM engine (before tuning) circa £3000, current cost of GTR £6600.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for reducing costs and I think the GTR engine is definitely a step in the right direction. I just think it a bit dangerous for the BSPA and/or SCB to be jumping into bed with any one engine manufacturer.

What speedway has needed is to diversify and not be a one make series in respect of engines/carbs/frames etc.

• Like 2

Teams who can afford to pay, will pay (IF indeed they want 'mega-bucks'). It will only help the 'likes of Workington' when that team visits Derwent Park and a few extra people go along to watch riders who they think might be exciting to watch and/or because they haven't seen them in the PL/Championship for a while

good theory but wrong , what will happen is the likes of Workington will try to afford the same to compete and pay above what they can afford and you get the Workington / Plymouth situation all over again. I thought the agm was ok but until more people attend speedway the business model for the sport doesn't work . You can't pay out more than you get in Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

good theory but wrong , what will happen is the likes of Workington will try to afford the same to compete and pay above what they can afford and you get the Workington / Plymouth situation all over again. I thought the agm was ok but until more people attend speedway the business model for the sport doesn't work . You can't pay out more than you get in

Redcar don't try to do that, maybe Workington have learned from their past mistakes? Plymouth didn't and paid the price.

Redcar don't try to do that, maybe Workington have learned from their past mistakes? Plymouth didn't and paid the price.

and well done to Redcar but with more expensive better riders planning to double up , the gap between the redcar's and the glasgows will be bigger than ever

So the meeting between the bottom top league and top bottom league teams could be interesting as each team could be trying to get the lowest score.

At least they didn't return to the previous effort, where the bottom two top-tier clubs (Peterborough and Wolves) played each other for the right to face the top second-tier side (Edinburgh). "What happens if we lose this pre play-off match?" "You get two extra pay days against a much weaker side." Hmm.

When we know what riders earn in the Premier League we might know if riders are willing to ride for it. We have been told for years that clubs do not go to the PL from the EL because the costs are the same or nearly the same in both leagues. Maybe doubling up gets round the new polish rules on racing in three countries only. We will only know who is doubling up when riders sign for their clubs. If many riders ride in both of the top two divisions the first division becomes even less attractive. The only thing I would object to is PL clubs signing any rider who is permanent GP rider.

I still and always will believe that the PL and EL should have single use racedays, the PL would not race on EL racedays and the EL would not race on PL racedays as in Sweden because it is the only serious/sensible way to handle the doubling up rule. I do not mind the double up rule but we must have a system where there is not a constant use of guest riders because of it: We already have too many guests due to Overseas events and FIM events.

At least they didn't return to the previous effort, where the bottom two top-tier clubs (Peterborough and Wolves) played each other for the right to face the top second-tier side (Edinburgh). "What happens if we lose this pre play-off match?" "You get two extra pay days against a much weaker side." Hmm.

I do remember that and it looked like Edinburgh were riding not to win.

• Like 1