British Speedway Forum
TB1

Speedway Agm

I have been going to football as long as I have been going to speedway, both are habit forming.

Football has always been more or less every two weeks

Speedway has always been every Thursday

that's it, if I don't get a meeting for a month because of a rain off, that's three weeks to find something to fill my Thursday night, if it is cheaper and more entertaining I might be persuaded to go there instead,

in winter I would rather stay in in the warm, and again its a habit, no speedway in winter, no football in summer

the other thing is why are people looking at tweaking things, it has gone past tweaking and needs a radicle rethink before there is no speedway

Doesn't really make sense.You go to football in winter,but would rather stay at home in the warm.And football in more and more every day of the week,so you never really have a pattern of which day of the week your team will play.The old fanzine 'When Saturday Comes'........those days are long gone and crowds have risen since that was the case

And that is exactly what has happened with people I bump into in town, at the pub watching a gp or at the track , that used to be a regular fan but do not now bother apart from the occasional odd meeting. If the meetings do change to fortnightly hopefully we may run an NL team on some of the alternate weeks.

But they have gotten out of the habit despite it being once a week.So has no relevance.They have lost interest because of some reason other than the day of the week

Doesn't really make sense.You go to football in winter,but would rather stay at home in the warm.And football in more and more every day of the week,so you never really have a pattern of which day of the week your team will play.The old fanzine 'When Saturday Comes'........those days are long gone and crowds have risen since that was the case

But they have gotten out of the habit despite it being once a week.So has no relevance.They have lost interest because of some reason other than the day of the week

Speedway is a summer sport I have got used to that over 50 years of watching.

Football is in winter, weekend or Tuesday nights, I have had to get used to watching at different times over the weekend I agree. but I have got into the habit of going at a weekend or a Tuesday night.

In summer I do other things at weekends because the weather might be good, maybe even go to an away speedway match

Speedway has on the whole been every Thursday in the summer.

In the winter on Thursday I don't want to do anything else, I am content to stay at home.

Recently it has not been once a week, that is part of the problem, many have even posted on here about the last few years with multiple rain offs etc. A few years ago the end of the season was chaotic when trying to run all the delayed meetings then the next season the meeting planners left gaps to cover for rain offs, in some cases this resulted in three weeks without a meeting.

Just look at the Swindon list of home meetings to confirm that meetings have not been weekly. In July we had 3 meetings on 4th, 7th, 21st. followed in August with 2 meetings on 4th and 22nd, two of which were mondays and not the normal thursdays.

There were other reasons but from speaking to fans the above was one of them.

Guest riders

Standing in Siberian type weather at Blunsdon

Rubbish visitors

People cutting back on spending

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

Fortnightly speedway with the cut off in mind would allow for 13 matches. If you factor in rain offs then it would come down to 10 or 11. Is that a viable amount?

so you think the male referees are better I find that funny ha ha

I have first hand knowledge of ridiculous decisions by lady refs , but not so much of male refs , how about refusing to change your mind ,when the opposition team manager rings and says that was my rider at fault , and then the rider himself rings and says it was 110% my fault ,I rammed him .ludicrous enough for you?

If 3 clubs came up, not sure where the riders would come from. It was difficult for some teams to get a competitive side this season. If Somerset came up, Swindon would lose likely riders as they are Somerset assets & with 3 clubs coming up, less riders to double up!

If 3 clubs came up, not sure where the riders would come from. It was difficult for some teams to get a competitive side this season. If Somerset came up, Swindon would lose likely riders as they are Somerset assets & with 3 clubs coming up, less riders to double up!

Which of the Swindon riders were owned by Somerset?

Which of the Swindon riders were owned by Somerset?

Not sure but I think we had at least 1 when there was a clash.

A switch to six rider teams would help a bit, and if the EL rode on a separate night or two to the PL then more could double up if needed.

Would I be right in thinking that as Lakeside will not be involved in EL/PL in 2017 that Jon Cook will not be involved in any decision making at this years AGM?

• Like 2

IMO the basics are scrapping doubling up / down and reintroducing real team speedway , not this mercenary driven free for all we currently have and admission costs reduced , until these are addressed I don't think we will ever begin to recover , we have to dangle a temptation carrot to the wider public, I keep seeing riders tweets about what's in this agm for them ? What about the fans ?

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 6

There were other reasons but from speaking to fans the above was one of them.

Guest riders

Standing in Siberian type weather at Blunsdon

Rubbish visitors

People cutting back on spending

Im not convinced that people cutting back on spending is the issue,i feel more that people spend it elsewhere,mainly because speedway has gone out of fashion a bit and there are other things to spend it on

Quite how you get them back into speedway stadiums i have no idea though as when meetings a promoted for £10 entry the crowd doesnt seem to increase that much

IMO the basics are scrapping doubling up / down and reintroducing real team speedway , not this mercenary driven free for all we currently have and admission costs reduced , until these are addressed I don't think we will ever begin to recover , we have to dangle a temptation carrot to the wider public, I keep seeing riders tweets about what's in this agm for them ? What about the fans ?

But without doubling up or down i just dont see where the riders will come from as we seem to be short now

Im not convinced that people cutting back on spending is the issue,i feel more that people spend it elsewhere,mainly because speedway has gone out of fashion a bit and there are other things to spend it on

Quite how you get them back into speedway stadiums i have no idea though as when meetings a promoted for £10 entry the crowd doesnt seem to increase that much

But without doubling up or down i just dont see where the riders will come from as we seem to be short now

we don't see where the riders are coming from because of doubling up /down , there are enough potential riders going round but the same old faces keep popping up in every team , it's just a joke ,the general public don't buy into it and I can see why , it's only my love of all things speedway is the reason I buy into it
  • Like 2

we don't see where the riders are coming from because of doubling up /down , there are enough potential riders going round but the same old faces keep popping up in every team , it's just a joke ,the general public don't buy into it and I can see why , it's only my love of all things speedway is the reason I buy into it

quite agree i try and let all the rules go above my head except the double points never liked it unfair always get the buzz come march though
  • Like 1

quite agree i try and let all the rules go above my head except the double points never liked it unfair always get the buzz come march though

Well said Sir. :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

There are definitely not enough riders of a good enough standard that want to ride in Britain to fill every team.
  • Like 1