British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

What Was The Last Speedway Dvd/vhs You Watched?

Well, my DVD player hasn't worked due to a poor effort on my part (getting my HDMI, SCART, cable colours wrong!!

So, watched the following last night....

Leicester v Wolverhampton (Gulf British) League 1979 I think..

Then,

Sheffield v Leicester (League Cup) 1983

Then,

Leicester V Hull, (League Cup) 198!

Then Kings Lynn v Leicester, (British League) 198! Dave Jessup had 2 EF'S whilst in heat winning positions!

The crowd at the Lions v Wolves was about 3,500 I think, Dave Lanning said it was a tad sparse!

Don't think the racing was as good as I remember, think the crowd size, and interaction with riders was 100% better.....

Then, topped the evening off watching "Bill Fox" smoking all and sundry in "ONCE A JOLLY SWAGMAN"!!!

• Like 1

I have a large selection of DVDs covering the 70's, 80's, 90's & 00's.

The last meeting I watched was the 1985 Knock-Out Cup (remember that competition?) 2nd Leg Final held at Cowley between Oxford and Ipswich.

The meeting had everything. A large crowd with plenty of atmosphere. Plenty of good racing and controversy....and the right result if you were an Oxford fan!

Great days!

The belle vue -v- Coventry match from earlier on in the season.

A brilliant matches racing wise. Well worth a watch

• Like 1

I have a large selection of DVDs covering the 70's, 80's, 90's & 00's.

The last meeting I watched was the 1985 Knock-Out Cup (remember that competition?) 2nd Leg Final held at Cowley between Oxford and Ipswich.

The meeting had everything. A large crowd with plenty of atmosphere. Plenty of good racing and controversy....and the right result if you were an Oxford fan!

Great days!

A CRACKER of a meeting
  • Like 1

Best of Henka Gustafsson. Awesome.

• Like 1

Crashes and Cock-Ups 2015 - and every year before that. (Re-Run Productions)

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 3

Greg Hancock Select v Billy Hamill Select - Last Ever at Dudley Wood (1995). Not particularly great racing, but poignant for all the wrong reasons.

Reading V Peterborough then Peterborough V Reading Grand Final 2006. Still can't believe Lynch put Greg on 3 in heat 15

Greg Hancock Select v Billy Hamill Select - Last Ever at Dudley Wood (1995). Not particularly great racing, but poignant for all the wrong reasons.

Did anyone throw a race ?

Asking for a friend

I don't know what others think but some of the DVDs I own have the action recorded from the inside of the track and it's something that I personally, don't enjoy. Far better when taken from outside (as we, the supporters, would generally view the action) as one can obtain a better perspective and appreciate the action far better. I find from the inside (and I have on one occasion viewed a race from the inside) the action, although initially different, soon wears a bit thin and I find it difficult to appreciate the full extent of the racing as the camera keeps spinning round...just my view!

Also commentary varies considerably on some DVDs. I can't bare the screaming type commentator or those who constantly jabber away during the race (Re-Run DVDs are guilty of this) as I don't wish to be told constantly what I can see for myself. There's a fine line between informing whilst keeping a level of enthusiasm in check and just babbling away for the sake of it.

Just watched the Test Match (remember those?) from 1983 between England and Denmark from Hackney...fascinating stuff!

Edited by steve roberts

Well, my DVD player hasn't worked due to a poor effort on my part (getting my HDMI, SCART, cable colours wrong!!

So, watched the following last night....

Leicester v Wolverhampton (Gulf British) League 1979 I think..

Then,

Sheffield v Leicester (League Cup) 1983

Then,

Leicester V Hull, (League Cup) 198!

Then Kings Lynn v Leicester, (British League) 198! Dave Jessup had 2 EF'S whilst in heat winning positions!

The crowd at the Lions v Wolves was about 3,500 I think, Dave Lanning said it was a tad sparse!

Don't think the racing was as good as I remember, think the crowd size, and interaction with riders was 100% better.....

Then, topped the evening off watching "Bill Fox" smoking all and sundry in "ONCE A JOLLY SWAGMAN"!!!

You need to get out more Searcher !

I watched the Halifax Dukes DVD, it brought back lovely memories, although I would have liked a bit more action along with the interviews.

• Like 2

I watched the Halifax Dukes DVD, it brought back lovely memories, although I would have liked a bit more action along with the interviews.

I enjoyed listening to Erik Boocock reminiscing. Very dry sense of humour! As a matter of interest I did send a copy of this DVD to one-time Halifax Duke "Mouseman' Ian Cartwright and the package ended up in Scotland despite a Yorkshire post code!!

• Like 1

Did anyone throw a race ?

Asking for a friend

I couldn't honestly say, but the result did end up as a draw at the end of the meeting. The riders before the final heat would have known what result would have led to a drawn match, so some sort of unofficial agreement may have occurred.