Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

What Was The Last Speedway Dvd/vhs You Watched?

Vetlanda ICF 1982 ........ Penhall /

Sigalos / Moran / P Collins / L Collins / K Carter

Super meeting

• Like 1

Vetlanda ICF 1982 ........ Penhall /

Sigalos / Moran / P Collins / L Collins / K Carter

Super meeting

You weren't inspired to watch that following recent 'events' in Melbourne, were you?

You weren't inspired to watch that following recent 'events' in Melbourne, were you?

no , it was before Melbourne but I will give you 8/10 for humour !!!

Edited by KIRKYLANE

Enjoying watching my DVDs with the recently departed Dave Lanning commentating. No one has ever replaced him and ever likely too!

• Like 2

Edinburgh v Somerset play offs, especially heat 15 2 seasons ago.couldnt watch it live, too nervous. Nice to find out what happened.

It's interesting reallyin the overseas final:

Penhalls became the bad guy for being blatantly obvious.

Haven't seen any criticism of the Collins brothers for team riding in the run off.

Then in the ICF you had olsen and gundersen ensuring little Bo peep got the point he needed, and I have seen no criticism of them either.

Ultimately, both the danes and the yanks failed to get an extra rider through, whereas the Collins brothers were successful.

I think where greg fell down was his bs explanation and subsequent tantrum. Man up like penhall did, and I think there would have been much less criticism on here. There are so many other examples, some a little more subtle (81 overseas final springs to mind, when Ross and Jessup, both flying and comfortably qualified, finished quietly 3rd and fourth which allowed Mauger and Lee the points they needed to qualify.)

• Like 1

It's interesting reallyin the overseas final:

Penhalls became the bad guy for being blatantly obvious.

Haven't seen any criticism of the Collins brothers for team riding in the run off.

Then in the ICF you had olsen and gundersen ensuring little Bo peep got the point he needed, and I have seen no criticism of them either.

Ultimately, both the danes and the yanks failed to get an extra rider through, whereas the Collins brothers were successful.

I think where greg fell down was his bs explanation and subsequent tantrum. Man up like penhall did, and I think there would have been much less criticism on here. There are so many other examples, some a little more subtle (81 overseas final springs to mind, when Ross and Jessup, both flying and comfortably qualified, finished quietly 3rd and fourth which allowed Mauger and Lee the points they needed to qualify.)

A number of riders have, many years later and usually in the pages of Backtrack magazine, admitted to favouring certain individuals to enable them to progress in World Championship rounds.

Dave Jessup told us how he helped his King's Lynn team-mate Mike Lee gain a vital point that saw him through the 1980 British semi-final at Sheffield - and oh how that came back to bite DJ on the backside in Gothenburg four months later.

And then there are Simmo's book revelations.

I read your 1981 OF example with interest - and would love to know of other instances, that may have slipped under the radar, where favours were done.

Edited by tmc

A number of riders have, many years later and usually in the pages of Backtrack magazine, admitted to favouring certain individuals to enable them to progress in World Championship rounds.

Dave Jessup told us how he helped his King's Lynn team-mate Mike Lee gain a vital point that saw him through the 1980 British semi-final at Sheffield - and oh how that came back to bite DJ on the backside in Gothenburg four months later.

I read your 1981 OF example with interest - and would love to know of other instances, that may have slipped under the radar, where favours were done.

I suppose these instances were only witnessed by fans if they were there as well, or if brief highlights were shown on ITV World Of Sport, in one of their two sports special slots, or via a VHS weeks after. And again, only by fans of the sport.... These instances weren't being discussed "As it happened" all over social media, YouTube, etc.........

But you're right, they did happen, possibly more frequently than in modern day Speedway.

Certainly more frequently. IN fact, I believe that is why Ole olsen was such an advocate of the gp system. He felt disadvantaged as a dane at a time he had no compatriots (for most of his career) to do him favours, unlike most of his rivals.

The gp series reduces the likelihood of such favours as most riders have something to race for right up to the final round.

of course there is the 82 world final, where collusion backfired. Pc told Les he would keep outv of his way when they clashed (less had two wins, pc 1 pt I think) - bur less ended up making his worst gate of the night and trailing in behind Andersson and stancl, those dropped points coating him the world title.

The Shawn Moran DVD.

And do people still watch VHS?!

The Shawn Moran DVD.

Yes!

Got numerous speedway meetings on the ol' tapes.

Normally just watch the odd meeting on Youtube now.

Most recent one was Pairs from Vojens in '93.

The Shawn Moran DVD.

Believe me, I still get asked on occasions to supply our recordings on VHS. I have to politely decline. Having to make DVDs is enough of a headache sometimes.

Peter Collins racing. A three DVD box set featuring highlights from the great mans career, including The Aces (PC/CM) taking the 1984 World Pairs crown in Lonigo Italy. fantastic memories.