British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

What Was The Last Speedway Dvd/vhs You Watched?

Yes it was JSD Video - I've got a couple of old crash compilations of theirs somewhere - Coventry, Long Eaton and Peterborough, plus guest footage from a lot of other tracks (even including Linlithgow!).

Personally I thought Colin's commentaries were pretty good, certainly better than my efforts over the last few years! :P

• Like 1

Anybody have a copy of the match covered by Central TV between Cradley and White City in 1977?

Just been watching a1992 Meeting at Cowley (what memories!) between Oxford and Reading (Bill Dore Trophy). Great to see a decent crowd present (spotted myself on the third bend together with my Dad amongst others) and a joy to see Hans Nielsen out-manoeuvre Per Jonsson in the last heat decider allowing Martin Dugard to come thru' and secure the match! Interesting, also, to view the second half junior meeting between the two clubs and to see so many people who stayed on to watch!

Coincentally I recently watched Oxford v Hull 6 September 1996, a 48-all draw in no small thanks to Bobby 'Showtime' Ott being in brilliant form. Only rode 6 months or of that season but he was a rider who put bums on seats, cleared the bars & pits and was a popular guest.....

• Like 2

Coincentally I recently watched Oxford v Hull 6 September 1996, a 48-all draw in no small thanks to Bobby 'Showtime' Ott being in brilliant form. Only rode 6 months or of that season but he was a rider who put bums on seats, cleared the bars & pits and was a popular guest.....

Saw that one recently too!

Two teams lost to the sport.

Got a few dvds off classic speedway for Christmas.

Have so far watched the 1983 overseas final - had forgotten how wet it was, certainly not a meeting for roaring round the boards at Hyde rd. Even so, amazing tgat both pc and s moran bowed out. People moan about modern day riders not riding in poor conditions, but when you see what should be a brilliant meeting be mediocre due to conditions, you have to think that it may be a good thing that less meetings get ridden in the wet.

And 1984 league cup, aces destroying a pretty powerful heathens 51-27, with gundersen scoring 14. Decent meeting, though tbh the racing at most aces meetings this year that I've seen has been better. Would suggest it's a myth that racing was better in days gone by.

Edited by waihekeaces1

Got a few dvds off classic speedway for Christmas.

Have so far watched the 1983 overseas final - had forgotten how wet it was, certainly not a meeting for roaring round the boards at Hyde rd. Even so, amazing tgat both pc and s moran bowed out. People moan about modern day riders not riding in poor conditions, but when you see what should be a brilliant meeting be mediocre due to conditions, you have to think that it may be a good thing that less meetings get ridden in the wet.

And 1984 league cup, aces destroying a pretty powerful heathens 51-27, with gundersen scoring 14. Decent meeting, though tbh the racing at most aces meetings this year that I've seen has been better. Would suggest it's a myth that racing was better in days gone by.

I would imagine that 1984 was pretty 'boring' generally at Hyde Road (I saw Oxford massacred twice there that particular season) because Stuart Bamforth declared a very strong team that should have won the league...until Ipswich came along and spoilt the party!

As a post script I remember chatting to an 'Aces' fan who openly enjoyed the fact that the meetings were very much one sided...takes all sorts I suppose!

Edited by steve roberts

I enjoyed that season as well tbh. Some absolutely stonking home wins. And with pc mort and foxy doing a lot of it from the back, still plenty of opportunity for good racing.

The following season the aces were pretty weak, which made for a number of nail biting last heats, and generally without the mort/pc pairing in heat 13. Still can't believe Bamforth ditched Larry Ross for Andy Campbell! And failed in signing sudden sam mid season, so brought in Eddie ingels instead!

I enjoyed that season as well tbh. Some absolutely stonking home wins. And with pc mort and foxy doing a lot of it from the back, still plenty of opportunity for good racing.

The following season the aces were pretty weak, which made for a number of nail biting last heats, and generally without the mort/pc pairing in heat 13. Still can't believe Bamforth ditched Larry Ross for Andy Campbell! And failed in signing sudden sam mid season, so brought in Eddie ingels instead!

Particularly enjoyed going back to Hyde Road in 1985 and watching Oxford winning after the humiliation of the previous year!

...also for purchasing Mark Crang (£7000?) who was only just a reserve at Middlesbrough...or was that in 1986?

Edited by steve roberts

Particularly enjoyed going back to Hyde Road in 1985 and watching Oxford winning after the humiliation of the previous year!

...also for purchasing Mark Crang (£7000?) who was only just a reserve at Middlesbrough...or was that in 1986?

Yep that was 85. Crang is without a doubt the worst rider I have seen in aces colours.

From memory we beat you by two points in a lastvheat decider in the league, and you beat us by 3 points in the league cup when we were missing mort and pc (might have bl and league cup wrong way round).

Yep that was 85. Crang is without a doubt the worst rider I have seen in aces colours.

From memory we beat you by two points in a lastvheat decider in the league, and you beat us by 3 points in the league cup when we were missing mort and pc (might have bl and league cup wrong way round).

Oxford lost by two points in the KO Cup but won in the league (40-37?) without Hans Nielsen who was banned from riding that weekend (some nonsense with the DMU!) and Neil Collins rode as a guest.

Of course the rest is history and 'The Cheetahs' went on to win the Championship that year and repeated the dose in'86! Great days!

Edited by steve roberts

Oxford lost by two points in the KO Cup but won in the league (40-37?) without Hans Nielsen who was banned from riding that weekend (some nonsense with the DMU!) and Neil Collins rode as a guest.

Of course the rest is history and 'The Cheetahs' went on to win the Championship that year and repeated the dose in'86! Great days!

Ok. Aces must have lostv40-37 in the league cup. N Collins and Davis guested for aces, I believe Oxford were missing Andy grahame.

And then u r right, Oxford must have scraped home in the league as well, with n Collins guesting for u that time.

Didn't get any better for the aces the following season, though at least we dealt to u at cowley in the league cup, blackbird beating Hans 3? times!!!