Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

What Was The Last Speedway Dvd/vhs You Watched?

Ok. Aces must have lostv40-37 in the league cup. N Collins and Davis guested for aces, I believe Oxford were missing Andy grahame.

And then u r right, Oxford must have scraped home in the league as well, with n Collins guesting for u that time.

Didn't get any better for the aces the following season, though at least we dealt to u at cowley in the league cup, blackbird beating Hans 3? times!!!

Yes I remember the occasion well at Cowley re: Carl Blackbird. One of those peculiarities that occasionally crops in speedway when a rider can do no wrong and all his star signs cross...only to fade as quickly as it appeared! Although Carl did give an interesting interview in 'Backtrack' some years ago. The usual thing in speedway...not having the resources to fund first class equipment on a regular basis.

Of course Oxford then signed the very under rated Per Sorensen and we were untouchable for the rest of the season!

I would imagine that 1984 was pretty 'boring' generally at Hyde Road (I saw Oxford massacred twice there that particular season) because Stuart Bamforth declared a very strong team that should have won the league...until Ipswich came along and spoilt the party!

As a post script I remember chatting to an 'Aces' fan who openly enjoyed the fact that the meetings were very much one sided...takes all sorts I suppose!

Boring? No... not at all! The Aces' side had some really thrilling action-merchants who couldn't gate to save their lives - Collins, Morton, Peter Carr, Smith, Courtney - and many races by these chaps had overtakes. I remember one meeting, Steve, in which the Oxford boys made the gate and the Aces' just pipped them off, yet again posting another 50-plus score. Simon Wigg was interviewed for then then Piccadilly Radio station, and I still have the tape, in which he said (and I paraphrase) "Bloomin' hell, it was so frustrating. You had to watch everywhere (when you gated) and had one Belle Vue rider on the inside breathing down your neck, and the other on the outside."

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Just watched once a jolly swagman, great film

Always enjoy watching this film...Sid James in a straight role for a change.

Bonar Colleano who appeared in the film died when he crashed his sports car aged only 34.

Always enjoy watching this film...Sid James in a straight role for a change.

Bonar Colleano who appeared in the film died when he crashed his sports car aged only 34.

Sid James i prefered him in straight roles my favourite film was hell drivers hated him in Carry on films loved his notorious laugh😆 Edited by Sidney the robin

My last dvd was the superb Icy Racers documentary, mainly about Per Serenius. I have thousands of meetings on dvd, many which I have transferred from VHS tape over the years and still collect title to my archive, although, strange to say, rarely watch any of them. I love the old Screensport, KM Video stuff, all the old things, but don't always shy away from more recent action.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

My last dvd was the superb Icy Racers documentary, mainly about Per Serenius. I have thousands of meetings on dvd, many which I have transferred from VHS tape over the years and still collect title to my archive, although, strange to say, rarely watch any of them. I love the old Screensport, KM Video stuff, all the old things, but don't always shy away from more recent action.

Saw one of my early heroes, Hasse Holmqvist, helping out Per Serenius on YouTube a couple of years ago...great stuff!

• Like 1

. I love the old Screensport, KM Video stuff, all the old things, but don't always shy away from more recent action.

Delighted to hear they're still remembered and enjoyed.

Sadly one of the commentators is now 'an old thing'...... ;-)

• Like 2

Just watched the 1981 Overseas Final from White City. Interesting to see the infamous clash between Penhall and Carter after all these years. Just before they both came down there was some elbowing down the straight as Carter squeezed thru' a gap between Penhalll and the fence. Entering the bend Carter appeared to close down Penhall rather hard which, in my opinion, compromised Penhall and a coming together was the end result. Who was to blame? Difficult one to call (Penhall was excluding) but obviously a prelude of what was to come.

Actually Penhall was attacking bends ruthlessly and made things very difficult for Dave Jessup in an attempt to move him over but Jessup held his nerve and went on to win the meeting...great stuff and in a superb stadium.

Just watched the 1981 Overseas Final from White City. Interesting to see the infamous clash between Penhall and Carter after all these years. Just before they both came down there was some elbowing down the straight as Carter squeezed thru' a gap between Penhalll and the fence. Entering the bend Carter appeared to close down Penhall rather hard which, in my opinion, compromised Penhall and a coming together was the end result. Who was to blame? Difficult one to call (Penhall was excluding) but obviously a prelude of what was to come.

Actually Penhall was attacking bends ruthlessly and made things very difficult for Dave Jessup in an attempt to move him over but Jessup held his nerve and went on to win the meeting...great stuff and in a superb stadium.

Penhall was a ruthless rider don't be fooled by his looks in 82 he was very lucky to get away with that incident.For me i don't blame either rider the rule in place that someone has to go (excluded) is to blame.How the sport was robbed that year of a great climax and IF Carter had become WC would his life have panned out differently.? who knows.By the way if he had become WC he would of been a terrific WC, unlike Penhall who then just quit and from then on the sport has been on a wet slippery slope.
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2016 at 11:47 AM, tmc said:

A number of riders have, many years later and usually in the pages of Backtrack magazine, admitted to favouring certain individuals to enable them to progress in World Championship rounds.

Dave Jessup told us how he helped his King's Lynn team-mate Mike Lee gain a vital point that saw him through the 1980 British semi-final at Sheffield - and oh how that came back to bite DJ on the backside in Gothenburg four months later.

And then there are Simmo's book revelations.

I read your 1981 OF example with interest - and would love to know of other instances, that may have slipped under the radar, where favours were done.

just going back through some old stars. none other than mr Rising referred to that t20 of the 81 overseas final as "speedway's version of nepotism came into force". 

and then reference also to "strange happennings between signals and eriksen " in heat 19 of the IC final which saw Eriksen secure a reserve spot for the final having fallen and recounted, but still finishing 2nd ahead of signals who "fell" and lee who fell earlier in the race.

obviously common, as a week later in the embassy internationale it is mentioned that Olsen allowed Nielsen to pass him in a "somewhat dubious" heat 9, helping ensure Nielsen's victory (scarcely needed in the end, Nielsen finishing with a max 15, 3 ahead of the runner up)

Edited by waiheke1

I taped the 1990 final at bradford which me and my son went to watch, after standing in a good spot on turns 1 and 2 from 3pm at 6.30 we were all asked to move forward to let the late comers in , a few thousand  voices said NO or words to that effect ? When got home went to watch the tape set from 6.55 for 3 hrs an hour of tractor racing and delays as per jonsson and shawn moran drop the clutches in the run off the tape stops , still got it lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/16/2019 at 11:04 AM, geoff100 said:

I taped the 1990 final at bradford which me and my son went to watch, after standing in a good spot on turns 1 and 2 from 3pm at 6.30 we were all asked to move forward to let the late comers in , a few thousand  voices said NO or words to that effect ? When got home went to watch the tape set from 6.55 for 3 hrs an hour of tractor racing and delays as per jonsson and shawn moran drop the clutches in the run off the tape stops , still got it lol.

Jonsson won Geoff. .. :D