British Speedway Forum
Cj69

Consecutive Seasons

Now that this season is nearly over. Got me thinking that this was my 16th consecutive season watching/supporting Edinburgh Monarchs (including Scottish Monarchs).

I then thought about my grandad who started going before the war (1935 think his first meeting in glasgow). Then every season from 1947. Sadly he never made a meeting this season due to bad health and old man stubborness (despite living next door to armadale).

So what I really want to ask is how long you have attended speedway and what team (or teams) have you supported.

Been going to Poole since 1982. Had good, bad and indifferent years but my interest is sadly on the decline.

I Followed speedway between 1972 and 2004.

My Dad went to Oxford's first meeting (1949) and finished in 2004. I am happy that he is no longer with us to see the current plight of Cowley Stadium!

Now that this season is nearly over. Got me thinking that this was my 16th consecutive season watching/supporting Edinburgh Monarchs (including Scottish Monarchs).

I then thought about my grandad who started going before the war (1935 think his first meeting in glasgow). Then every season from 1947. Sadly he never made a meeting this season due to bad health and old man stubborness (despite living next door to armadale).

So what I really want to ask is how long you have attended speedway and what team (or teams) have you supported.

1960-present.

Edinburgh Monarchs

Coatbridge Monarchs till licence went to Wembley

Then

Berwick Bandits till present.

My first meeting was Belle Vue v Coventry in 1968, a 50-28 win if I remember rightly, been supporting the Aces ever since.

I started in the 50s at Belle Vue and Odsal. Later mostly Halifax but fairly regularly at most of the northern tracks and once or twice a year to London, Wembley and maybe the Internationale at Wimbledon.

First meeting was at Exeter on August BH Monday in 1975 v Reading. Went to pretty much every meeting until closure. Intermittently visited various tracks since, but nothing does it like following the Falcons for me. Maybe one day I will get to do so again.

I Followed speedway between 1972 and 2004.

My Dad went to Oxford's first meeting (1949) and finished in 2004. I am happy that he is no longer with us to see the current plight of Cowley Stadium!

Almost identical. Went to Oxford from 1974 until relocating to USA in 2000. My dad continued to go right up until they closed. Also went to White City every week when the Rebels relocated there. I believe that was 1976-1978. Edited by AlanF

Poole v Coatbridge April 1968, odd fossengens debut for Poole, I prefer Somerset now , elite league does nothing for me now

New Cross - Ackney 1963 first meeting, then they folded that year. Swindon 1968-2016 but with a 30 year break in between, with short spells following Wimbledon and Workington.

Poole v Coatbridge April 1968, odd fossengens debut for Poole, I prefer Somerset now , elite league does nothing for me now

Saw Odd ride in his last meeting at Cowley (1974) when he was involved in a nasty crash with Ulf Lovaas' bike breaking his leg badly. He never rode again.