British Speedway Forum
Cj69

Consecutive Seasons

Every season since 1966 when I went to my first ever meeting at West Ham.

• Like 1

Been going since 1972 solid until 1990.A handful of meetings a year since.

Dad,58 seasons,he was a teenager when Sheffield reopened in 1960.

Me,40 seasons,I was a young'un when I first went in 1977.

First meeting ever, was I think Leicester Lions v Newport Wasps or Coventry Bees....

Remember the riders in white helmet and yellow and black had "Wasps or Bees" on their race jackets... Never missed a home Leicester meeting from around 1976 to 1983 when Blackird Rd closed..

I also got involved with marshalling at Leicester, the same season as Tony Steele started marshalling at Leicester, and got involved marshalling at Kings Lynn and Peterborough as well..

I them switched my allegiance to Long Eaton until they closed..

Then only went to British Finals, the odd Lions select v whoever during the Leicester barren years, oh and started going th Cardiff from the get go..

I am now involved with track prep, flagging, machine examining, mostly at Leicester, + I now flag at Cardiff, and machine examine at the UK rounds of the SWC....

Interesting times ahead, mostly worrying though....

I first went in September 1976 but don't really count it as I didn't like it. But I went again a year later and became hooked. So next season will be my 40th full season. Hoping for a fixture on September 15th :D

God we are a seriously aging fan base looking at some of the previous posts!

When are they going to get it right to attract a new younger generation for the sport to continue?

I started going in the mid 70's even before I went to football, can't remember my first meeting, been asleep since then. Still got hooked though.

First meeting in 1949, but seriously started when Newcastle reopened in 1961 in the Provincial League, Diamonds versus Wolves 38-40 I think.

Been going every season, but unfortunately for me I was doing other things in my life during Joe and Tom days, so missed most of the glory days at Newcastle.

Family, and my own sports careers, took preference, but I always attended the first meeting on Easter Monday and a handful after that.

1975 Wimbledon aged 10

1982-6 Wimbledon

1987-1990 Belle Vue

2004- date. Just over 700 meetings in that time.

My first Meeting was in 1964 - Sunderland 'Saints' v. Newcastle 'Diamonds'.

I remember a defeat for the 'Saints' (32-44) - it didn't put me off though. :)

open licence 64/65 at Cleveland Park - cried because it was too noisy.

1968 onwards though completely obsessed

i once estimated I'd been to 500 or so meetings

never saw one overtake (just kidding I saw 3)

First away match WCQR at Brough Park (was the track red? - it is in my memory) Barry Briggs won, Jim Airey second

open licence 64/65 at Cleveland Park - cried because it was too noisy.

1968 onwards though completely obsessed

i once estimated I'd been to 500 or so meetings

never saw one overtake (just kidding I saw 3)

First away match WCQR at Brough Park (was the track red? - it is in my memory) Barry Briggs won, Jim Airey second

The track would have been red.(and lovely and smooth). ;):P

• Like 1

My earliest memory of speedway was when I was about 5 years old (circa 1959). I went with my family to Brandon and stood on the back straight. It's funny, I don't remember the racing. The one thing that is clear in my mind was one of the home team celebrating a win. He came down the straight waving to the crowd with both hands. I was amazed anyone could ride a motorbike not holding the handlebars. Strange how the mind works eh?

Wind forward a few years to 1970. My older brother and his girlfriend were looking for somewhere to go one Saturday when my Mum said, "Why don't you go to the speedway?". Well bless them, they took her up on the idea and doubly bless them they opted to take me despite the fact that I was 7 years their younger. Well the rest is history, a lot of it. Trips to Wembly, White City, Wimbledon and countless home and away meeting for the Bees.

And we're still there. Gaps to go to university for me, but faithfull fans through Nigel Boocock, Ole Olsen, Hans Nielsen, Tommy Knudsen, Brian Andersen, Bomber and a miriad of stars in their own right. Who can forget the sparking metal shoe of Gerhard Ulenbrook, the outside sweeps of Little Boy Blue at Exeter, the team riding of Ole especially with Alan Molyneax or that classic occasion when PC came to Brandon on his new Weslake 4 valve when Ole was stuck on his works 2 valve Jawa? Or that last meeting at Wembley in 1981? There was hardly standing room with close on 100k spectators and we saw perhaps the most gifted rider ever win the World Champs.

If my Brandon career is coming to an end I will be most sad. But life goes on. Speedway is bigger than one venue, bigger than one fan. I'll still be there.

• Like 1

My first meeting was at the old Hyde Road, Belle Vue v ???? I can't remember much about it as I was only 6 weeks old. Have supported Belle Vue ever since.