British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Tony Mole Retirement

From the SGB website:

LONG-SERVING Birmingham promoter Tony Mole has confirmed the 2017 season will be his last in the sport.

Mole brought speedway back to the Second City in 2007 at Perry Barr after a 20-year absence, and also stepped in to salvage the Brummies two years ago having initially sold the club.
He said: “I have been a licensed speedway promoter since July 1986 at a variety of tracks.
“However, 2017 will be my final season as a promoter after the insolvency of the last promotion in June 2014, and I will have completed three seasons in charge.
“We have not been invited to join the Premier League, so it is most likely we will continue in the National League in season 2017.”
British Speedway vice-chairman Rob Godfrey clarified: “Every club has the right to apply to join a different league, it isn’t a case that they must be invited.
“At this stage there has been no application from Birmingham to join the Premier League, although I’m positive that if one were to be received, it would be looked at favourably and that they would be welcomed into the PL.”

Edited by Guest

It will be a very sad day for Speedway when Tony finally hangs up his Promoters Licence.

He has been a real credit to the sport over the last 30 years and instrumental in rescuing many casualties. He even took on Dudley Council in an effort to bring Cradley back and that is determination beyond the call of duty!

Very best wishes for a long and happy retirement.

• Like 1

Sad day when Tony does retire from the sport. He has always been there to help speedway, when many others could or did walk away. A genuine guy, who unfortunately will probably not be followed on by his son, who i believe does not have the same interest. Tony will be a massive loss, going about his business in his usual quiet and caring way.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 4

I talked to Tony Mole regarding the return of Speedway to Sunderland. It did not happen - but that was not Tony Mole's fault. I found him always very courteous to talk to and very knowledgable about Speedway and business too. I admire him very much and wish him a very happy retirement.

Speedway will miss him very much.

Just a thought - people talk about an Independent overall head of Speedway in this Country - would Tony not be a very good candidate for this Post?

Just thinking...........

• Like 2

I talked to Tony Mole regarding the return of Speedway to Sunderland. It did not happen - but that was not Tony Mole's fault. I found him always very courteous to talk to and very knowledgable about Speedway and business too. I admire him very much and wish him a very happy retirement.

Speedway will miss him very much.

Just a thought - people talk about an Independent overall head of Speedway in this Country - would Tony not be a very good candidate for this Post?

Just thinking...........

TWK, isn't the point of him pulling out of Birmingham to give himself the chance to retire?

Tony Mole has been brilliant to speedway. How do we go about getting him an MBE?

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

Sad day that Tony Mole leaves the sport, we certainly need the likes of him coming into the sport.

TWK, isn't the point of him pulling out of Birmingham to give himself the chance to retire?

Tony Mole has been brilliant to speedway. How do we go about getting him an MBE?

All the best

Rob

Fair comment I suppose ls - I was just pondering....

One of the best promoters. Saved and brought back too many teams to mention and I can't think of any controversy surrounding him. The sport needs more Tony Moles!

Always be grateful to Tony for stepping in at the last minute to save Long Eaton in 1991.

We enjoyed some great entertainment under his stewardship through to 1997.

He knows his stuff, both speedway-wise and in business and has done a great service to Speedway. And he hasn't needed to shout about it either. Actions speak louder than words and other current promoters could do worse than follow his lead (fat chance).

In terms of getting him a (well-preserved) honour, our best chance is to suggest he has been the driving force behind the English synchronised swimming team for the past 30 years! Mention services to Speedway and he's guaranteed to be overlooked.

Enjoy your retirement, Tony.

Edited by TeamBouchard
  • Like 1

Without question one of the all-time great promoters.

Wherever you live in the country, whichever league you follow, the chances are you have watched a team that has been saved by Tony Mole at some time.

And he doesn't just throw money at clubs. He turns them around and makes them viable for someone else to take over.

He also seems to remember the track staff at every track he's ever owned and often stops for a chat with ex-staff when he revisits those tracks.

It'll be a sad day when he quits promoting.

• Like 3

And he doesn't just throw money at clubs. He turns them around and makes them viable for someone else to take over.

Couldn't have put it better. Will be a huge miss to the sport.