Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
damosuzuki

Glasgow 2017

First announcement for next season is the much rumoured move to A Saturday evening @7pm.

I think the track will benefit from nightime racing, and hopefully the crowds are good. A lot of moaning on social media, but this brings us into line with the Clan and their success is something I believe the Facennas want to emulate. At the end of the day it doesn't affect me going, but we'll just need to see. Does however keep us free of clashes with BV.

Don't care about the Clan and their night but maybe fans of both sports will have a conflict of interest when dates clash, also the overlap with football season. Just hope for sake of the speedway that they can replace fans who stop coming with more new comers than they lose, no use replacing ten old supporters with ten new ones.

any evening racing suits me better, I work in NHS and if I am early shift then I dont finish until 3pm, which means I have to request it off, It should be easier for me to work an early shift on Saturdays without having to request day off. It is not definite that we will get Saturday night however, I believe it is subject to a vote at the AGM

That it will suit some and not others is obvious. It doesn't suit me so I'll just have to live with it or not as is the case.

Edited by tyretrax

A great night at the end of season dance. All tables named after past tigers captains and continuous showing of speedway highlights from 2016. Quality 🐯🐯🐯 Saturday nights if everything goes to plan, must be better than 3pm on a Sunday 👍

I'm pleased about this announcement but the brightness of the floodlights will need to be a lot lot lot lot brighter.

The quality of the racing last Monday was fantastic but the lights were not great.

Although I'm sure they must meet a minimum standard.

Comparison with the Clan is not appropriate. They play indoors in a beautiful, warm, well-lit arena with no wind to affect comfort. Also car parking is possibly safer at Braehead than in Possil. Regular night-time racing may work in balmy southern England but not for me in Scotland.

This proposal will be a big inconvenience to fans with children, those relying on public transport, the elderly, and fans and riders who have to travel long distances home after meetings. Imagine what time Danny would have reached home if this had been in place this year.

I've been a great admirer of everything the Promotion has done since the Facenna's take-over, but this is a BIG mistake imo. I'll certainly not be there at the start and end of the season so they'll need to find one new fan just to stay at the same crowd level !

I hope and pray that the Conference refuses the application.

• Like 2

Comparison with the Clan is not appropriate. They play indoors in a beautiful, warm, well-lit arena with no wind to affect comfort. Also car parking is possibly safer at Braehead than in Possil. Regular night-time racing may work in balmy southern England but not for me in Scotland.

This proposal will be a big inconvenience to fans with children, those relying on public transport, the elderly, and fans and riders who have to travel long distances home after meetings. Imagine what time Danny would have reached home if this had been in place this year.

I've been a great admirer of everything the Promotion has done since the Facenna's take-over, but this is a BIG mistake imo. I'll certainly not be there at the start and end of the season so they'll need to find one new fan just to stay at the same crowd level !

Many tracks run on a night time and elderly fans still turn up so it won't be that much of an inconvenience, I agree that it will affect certain fans but they are trying to change race nights so they can sign riders that ride in Poland on a Sunday I guess, can't blame them for trying to do something. As for Danny, yeah he would get home late after a meeting but that's a part of speedway, he doesn't have to sign for Glasgow next year then he won't have to do that travel, but just imagine what time he had to set off on a Sunday morning to make Glasgow for like half 12/1 o'clock, it's a bit harsh that you praying the conference reject it just because you don't like the idea, I bet it would benefit more fans that it would ruin, and the team should be stronger with riders that ride in poland Edited by BenR195
  • Like 1

.........and the team should be stronger with riders that ride in poland

I first thought about this opportunity too but how practical would it actually be for riders to finish at Ashfield 10pm(?) Saturday and ride in Poland the next day?

Doable of course but how attractive, I don't know.

• Like 1

I first thought about this opportunity too but how practical would it actually be for riders to finish at Ashfield 10pm(?) Saturday and ride in Poland the next day?

Doable of course but how attractive, I don't know.

happens all the time JBA rode Denmark Wednesday, Redcar Thursday, Denmark Friday then back to UK on a Saturday if we had a meeting, same with elite lads, Monday night uk, Sweden Tuesday, Wednesday UK

Sounds a good move to a Saturday. Im sure the owners will have undertaken a sensitivity analysis and worked out it benefits more people than it inconveniences. It will clash with Braehead Clan but only really in September & October. The Clan dont always play on a Saturday at home anyway, I've already been to a Friday match and they do have periods on the road when arena is being used for something else on a Saturday.

Public transport wont be an issue for the train anyway, the service remains every half hour from Queen Street and back on a Saturday with the last train from Ashfield at 23.34.

I think we are getting a bit desparate quoting riders travel departure times. By moving to a Saturday we are hopefully increasing the number and scope of riders potentially available to sign. However the biggest hurdle may be getting it voted through the AGM. Wonder how our near neighbours would vote!

Sounds a good move to a Saturday. Im sure the owners will have undertaken a sensitivity analysis and worked out it benefits more people than it inconveniences. It will clash with Braehead Clan but only really in September & October. The Clan dont always play on a Saturday at home anyway, I've already been to a Friday match and they do have periods on the road when arena is being used for something else on a Saturday.

Public transport wont be an issue for the train anyway, the service remains every half hour from Queen Street and back on a Saturday with the last train from Ashfield at 23.34.

I think we are getting a bit desparate quoting riders travel departure times. By moving to a Saturday we are hopefully increasing the number and scope of riders potentially available to sign. However the biggest hurdle may be getting it voted through the AGM. Wonder how our near neighbours would vote!

It's an interesting one , Saturday night is really breaking new ground for us , Saturday night in Possilpark lol , really interesting haha

I assume a Sunday afternoon will be our alternative race day for clashes with Berwick , Worky and Rye House

Edited by Paulco

Plenty negatives here don't see any positives though can't please all the people all the time i am afraid i take it you are speaking from a personal point of view here.

In terms off refusing the application i suspect this has been thought long & hard and i at a guess expect this proposal to be voted through without much difficulty.

Edited by Gazc

There is one thing foe sure , it is much easier to maintain a good track surface at night rather than mid afternoon on a hot summers day !!!

I do hope that it is ratified

Edited by KIRKYLANE
  • Like 1

Plenty negatives here don't see any positives though can't please all the people all the time i am afraid i take it you are speaking from a personal point of view here.

In terms off refusing the application i suspect this has been thought long & hard and i at a guess expect this proposal to be voted through without much difficulty.

I doubt if there will any complaints from other tracks about a change to Saturday nights. On what basis can they complain. Edinburgh are not competing against them on that night and they could be satisfied that their Friday night is not now being challenged. Other tracks like Berwick and Worky are way outside the protection of the 35 mile radius, so nobody could have a challenge IMO. It does leave us then as the senior Sunday track so less racing on our off night of Monday.