British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Form An Orderly 'q'.....

Hmm, well reminded by the very helpful replies (thanx!) that I certainly did see the aforementioned Jimmy Squibb, Colin Farquharson & Hasse Holmqvist ride - I 'searched' again [not sure what I did wrong the first time!) and found them obviously, plus the following:

Christer Lofqvist (who is of course a blindingly obvious one!) plus from recent touring parties the rather more obscure John Marquez and Robin Bergqvist; and totally obscure indeed a second halfer from Crayford in '76 called implausibly, Stuart Farquar..

It's not exactly hundreds though is it! And certainly none beginning with 'Q'...!

I seem to remember a junior rider called Steve Quick in the 80s (Wolverhampton/Cradley possibly?). Someone please tell me he isn't a figment of my imagination?

This is what I like about this forum-to know that there are other folks besides me who keep all sorts of statistics. When I was in school people would give me a hard time as being a stats nerd and loner and I often felt like I was the only one-glad to see I'm not and that at last I have found a home with like-minded people!!! Its a big deal to me actually!

BTW from my bastion of advanced nerdism -didn't Cyril Quick also ride for Poole and Wolverhampton as well as Bristol??? This is an example of why people hated me-pass my anorak please!!

• Like 1

Guest compost

This is what I like about this forum-to know that there are other folks besides me who keep all sorts of statistics. When I was in school people would give me a hard time as being a stats nerd and loner and I often felt like I was the only one-glad to see I'm not and that at last I have found a home with like-minded people!!! Its a big deal to me actually!

BTW from my bastion of advanced nerdism -didn't Cyril Quick also ride for Poole and Wolverhampton as well as Bristol??? This is an example of why people hated me-pass my anorak please!!

I've got Cyril rode for Bristol 47-48, Poole 48-49-50, Oxford & Yarmouth 51, Wolves in 52. Poole & Wolves in NL3 the rest in NL2.

If you want riders with a 'q' in their name then there was Carl Squirrell back in the late 70's/early 80's

Not forgetting ex Pirate and Panther Rod Colquhoun.

Guest compost

An F Quarmby rode in Junior races at Wombwell Sports Stadium in 1929 and a Jack Quarmby rode in junior races at Barnsley Lundwood also in 1929 (can't see that they would be the same person but a real coincidence having the same, unusual, surname). Note : Jack might be the 'Jim' that arnieg listed as riding at Barnsley in 1930.

The Audenshaw 1929 researcher file says C Quirk rode in the first meeting of that season.

Edited by compost

Hmm, well reminded by the very helpful replies (thanx!) that I certainly did see the aforementioned Jimmy Squibb, Colin Farquharson & Hasse Holmqvist ride - I 'searched' again [not sure what I did wrong the first time!) and found them obviously, plus the following:

Christer Lofqvist (who is of course a blindingly obvious one!) plus from recent touring parties the rather more obscure John Marquez and Robin Bergqvist; and totally obscure indeed a second halfer from Crayford in '76 called implausibly, Stuart Farquar..

It's not exactly hundreds though is it! And certainly none beginning with 'Q'...!

Bizarrely some scribes insisted on Holmqvist being spelt Holmkvist! I never went with that version personally.

Bizarrely some scribes insisted on Holmqvist being spelt Holmkvist! I never went with that version personally.

Personally I believe that you were right not to.

• Like 1

Personally I believe that you were right not to.

I even saw Lofqvist as Lofkvist once! Very weird...perhaps something lost in the translation?

In the Swedish language the letter 'Q' is now rare. I understand it was common in ordinary words up until the late 19th century, when it was replaced by 'K'. The exception was that many proper names kept their 'Q' despite the change made to common words. I remember looking into this in the 1960s when Wolverhampton's Hasse Holmqvist and Cradley Heath's Tommy Bergqvist were occasionally spelt with K instead of Q. Unless a proper name was chosen to be changed from Q to K it should be spelt with the Q, so Holmqvist, Bergqvist and Lofqvist would be correct. There were also some occasions on which programmes, magazines and newspapers replaced the V with a U, but that's another story.

• Like 3

In the Swedish language the letter 'Q' is now rare. I understand it was common in ordinary words up until the late 19th century, when it was replaced by 'K'. The exception was that many proper names kept their 'Q' despite the change made to common words. I remember looking into this in the 1960s when Wolverhampton's Hasse Holmqvist and Cradley Heath's Tommy Bergqvist were occasionally spelt with K instead of Q. Unless a proper name was chosen to be changed from Q to K it should be spelt with the Q, so Holmqvist, Bergqvist and Lofqvist would be correct. There were also some occasions on which programmes, magazines and newspapers replaced the V with a U, but that's another story.

Many thanks for that! Was always a mystery to me!

I even saw Lofqvist as Lofkvist once! Very weird...perhaps something lost in the translation?

I must admit I never ever saw that. I did see the Holmqvist with a 'k' a couple of times though.

Thank you BL65 for your explanation - much appreciated. I thought that the 'k' was a typo to be honest.