Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Hope I'm wrong, but I think this is going to be tougher than most seem to think.

With everyone bar Doyle taking extra rides to cover Ellis.

Grondal,BWD and Bellego could hurt us.

• Like 1

Could swap Watt and Robson for Schlein and Wells would make us far stronger

• Like 1

Strikes me as a no-brainier. Watt was a risk worth taking but Robbo was always an odd signing. Now Watt has proved he's not up to it other options have to be looked into.

I hope this promotion will make the tough decisions that need to be made for the good of the club otherwise our season could be over before its started.

Unfortunately Watt and Robbo aren't up to it at this level anymore, harsh but true!!

• Like 2

That would be a great move..... But let's hope not before stars home and away 😝

• Like 1

RYE HOUSE PRESS RELEASE: By CRAIG SAUL

:::::::::

ROCKETS’ CUP SETBACK
After last week’s euphoric opening win over defending champions Wolverhampton, the BMR Rockets were brought back down to earth by Swindon in the Knock-Out Cup, the Robins’ 49-41 victory in Hoddesdon leaving them an uphill climb to make further progress in the competition.
While Scott Nicholls continued from where he left off against the Wolves with another 12 points here, it proved more of a mixed night for fellow heat leaders Edward Kennett (8) and Chris Harris (7+1). The trio provided five of the Rockets’ six race wins, with Ben Morley – ultimately appearing as a guest after all following a BSPA management committee’s ruling on Rob Branford’s team prioritisation – taking the other in Heat 2 but failing to add to that three points tally.
On the plus side, there were more encouraging signs from Ellis Perks, who soldiered to another 5 points.
While Kennett and Morley propelled Rye to a positive start by winning the first two races – the captain over World No.5 Jason Doyle and the Southender by less than half a bike length over Emil Grondal in a thrilling encounter – the warning signs were on the wall as early as Heat 3 when the fast-emerging Bradley Wilson-Dean and David Bellego outpaced Harris and Davey Watt for the 5-1 that put the Robins in front, at 10-8.
Nicholls and Perks quickly levelled the score by finishing either side of Nick Morris, but after the sides had exchanged further 4-2s, Grondal’s victory over Nicholls in Heat 7 helped nudge Swindon back in front - 22-20 - and the Robins never looked back.
Doyle’s stunning surge past Nicholls to win Heat 11 brought another 4-2 to push Swindon to 35-31, and even through the Brit gained revenge in a return encounter with Doyle in Heat 13, a 5-1 from Grondal and David Bellego in the penultimate race ensured the Wiltshiremen would take a first leg lead back to Blunsdon this coming Thursday.
A further 4-2 from Morris and Doyle over Nicholls and Harris in the finale made a difficult second leg task for Rye that much trickier, and emphasised Swindon’s all-round fire-power on the night, with every Robin bar Zach Wajtknecht bagging at least two paid race wins.
As Rye House captain Edward Kennett admitted afterwards, “We lost tonight out of the gate and in the first bend. You’ve got to be so sharp and on the ball, and we just weren’t.
“It’s frustrating; very frustrating. A couple of riders had an off-night, and we’ve just got to look to next week. We’ve got a busy week ahead – we’re riding three days in a row (at Swindon and King’s Lynn, and then at home to Lynn on Easter Saturday – which is good because riders like Robbo (Stuart Robson) and myself only ride in one league. We’ll just see how we get on.
“This tie is not over yet. Yes, it’s going to be tough to pull back the eight points but we’ve got to head to Blunsdon with an open mind. Anything can happen, and we’ve got riders in the team – myself included – who enjoy going to Swindon. So you never know – as the saying goes, it’s not over until the fat lady sings.”
BMR Rockets:
Scott Nicholls 12 (5 rides), Edward Kennett 8 (4), Chris Harris 7+1 (5), Ellis Perks 5 (5), Stuart Robson 3+2 (4), Davey Watt 3 (4), Ben Morley (guest) 3 (3).

Swindon:
Nick Morris 14+1 (6 rides), Jason Doyle 11 (5), Bradley Wilson-Dean 9+1 (5), Emil Grondal 8 (6), David Bellego 7+2 (5), Zach Wajtknecht 0 (3), Adam Ellis R/R.
Edited by Guest

Robson and watt were always likely weak links but it's only been a couple if meetings. I expect Schlein is on many peoples' wanted list as at least he can pass when behind. Harris will be disappointed with only 7 from the easier No3 berth.

Robson and watt were always likely weak links but it's only been a couple if meetings. I expect Schlein is on many peoples' wanted list as at least he can pass when behind. Harris will be disappointed with only 7 from the easier No3 berth.

The dry, dusty track didn't help him at all. Two of Watts three points were gifted to him in heat 10 after Grondal was excluded and Harris fell. The only rider he "beat" on the night was Ben Morley

Edited by Shads
  • Like 1

The second strings were going to make or break this side but were always a gamble. Robbo probably scoring as expected but Davey clearly still struggling.

Most sides will be looking at bringing in the same riders so it will be a mad scramble for who reacts first. Rye cant really afford to wait until averages change whereas some clubs may have to.

Rye need to change whilst Watt is still carrying that 7.56 average and Robson 7.09. Hope the management don't wait until it's too late.

• Like 1

Watt is a terrible signing. He was useless for Poole who got shot of him to Leicester where he was even worse. Rye will get rid by the time Wimbledon starts at the end of June you mark my words.

Told you lot.

• Like 1

How was the crowd compared to last week, did they all come back?

I though it looked down on last week, but still pretty good compared to recent years. Didn't see as many away fans this time.

The decent weather forecast for the weekend, combined with school holidays, probably saw a few taking a couple of days away.

On a positive note, good to see the promotion install a food outlet behind the third bend (no idea what was on offer) and an ice cream van situated behind the second bend.

Told you lot.

Could be something as simple as machinery problems, but he's certainly not started the season well.

I suspect he's the kind of guy who will dwell on it, which won't help

Edited by Shads

I was hoping for Thomas Jurgensen and Richard Lawson when team announced but they are now at Saturday tracks.