British Speedway Forum

The wisdom of the Rye House team changes will be reflected in how they perform in their next away match, at Wolverhampton on Monday, July 10.

Nope not a true reflection. If you take that one meeting on its own and you believe the official word Edward was ill then night and scored zero. In fact he wobbled around for each of his rides never in danger of scoring a point.

Watching that meeting it was evident that we were nowhere near Wolves and i doubt the team changes will make one bit of a difference anyway.

Just not seeing it personally. At home Kennett and Perks are good for the best part of 17 points between them. Can you see Sedgmen and Barker doing that? OK Robbo will get a couple more so they need 15. Not going to happen. Now I know you'll argue that they may lose a couple at home but they'll gain a couple away but that then means that the 2 close home meetings they had become losses and the few big away losses become only slightly big away losses. I could understand if they kept scoring 44 or 41 away everywhere, they need a couple more point to get over the line but they're not.

Speedway, IMO, is about keeping your fans happy, that means winning your home meetings. Anything away is a bonus for the 3-4% of your fans that do go away from home.

Spot on. Perks was doing pretty well in the reserves races and any improvement from Robson won't be felt due to the loss of home points from Kennett. I think internal politics cost Kennett his place not a season average that at the end of 2017 would probably have been within a point or so of Harris. As for Perks the far superior reserve who will improve in time unlike his former partner.

It's a results based sport - if someone under performs they can expect to be released. Of course, if you don't want to win anything then you should have kept him :rolleyes:

If thats is so please explain getting rid of Perks other than it being a numbers game. They have kept Branford who is clearly under performing Perks is outperforming him not just at home but away as well.

Why would we?

His average is 4.08, lower than Riss on 4.34 so it's possible.

It's not a strengthener tho.

I was thinking as a replacement for Greaves Perks is classed as English but the numbers game wins again.

I was thinking as a replacement for Greaves Perks is classed as English but the numbers game wins again.

Ah ok, gotcha now.

:t:

At Swindon it was so apparent that this team was simply not up to it away from home and fans would have shouted that every other team have made changes but not us, well we have and who knows it might just pay off, at least we tried to roll the dice, how about getting behind the team and if it doesn't work, moan then.

fully agree - if we didn't want to get in the top 4 then we should have just carried on as we were (not an option for me I want to see us in the play offs) - I guess most people complaining wanted to carry on as before as nobody seems to have come up with any better ways to strengthen the team.

fully agree - if we didn't want to get in the top 4 then we should have just carried on as we were (not an option for me I want to see us in the play offs) - I guess most people complaining wanted to carry on as before as nobody seems to have come up with any better ways to strengthen the team.

No doubt Ellis Perks was unfortunate to lose his place, Edward Kennett was a shock as he's been a fixture in the Rockets side for many years.

I think many were surprised that the promotion/team manager made these changes. I certainly didn't see it coming.

Speedway is probably unique in having a regular team & individual element. Supporters get attached to certain riders and there's always the family element amongst them. Can't think of another sport where the participants are so nomadic and ply their trade amongst multiple teams.

I recall Somerset replacing a rider before the season had officially started a couple of years ago.

Pretty sure Perks will find a new top flight club very quickly, replacing someone else who'll be looking for a new side.

Not sure about Kennett though. Isn't he in full time work?

Maybe a drop down to the Championship would suit him better.

He's English full stop. Robbie and the family only moved out to Australia when he was young as work opportunities opened up for them.

Sent a tweet to BSPA, all these team changes are farcical. Under current rules, it really doesn't matter who's in the team at the start of the season and a rider could end up having ridden for multiple teams over the season. It's no wonder there's dwindling loyalty from riders nowadays and there's none from most promoters any more. Perks has been very poorly treated - I only hope they got him lined up elsewhere before they made the changes.

He's English full stop. Robbie and the family only moved out to Australia when he was young as work opportunities opened up for them.

Big like Woffy :t:

The problem with win at all costs is when you get the bill.

It just becomes a bunch of mercenaries, not a team.

I still cherish the Rockets' first league title back in 1980. I'd seen that team found and grown by the club, not just signed from whoever had been dropped by another team as part of a constant merry-go-round. That was real success. We knew the team as friends.

Progress?

Extra thought. The team that we had in 1999, the nomadic 'comeback' year will always be special to me. We were all up against it, fighting a league admin who didn't want us, fighting off the onlookers who wrote off our chances of running at all, seeing the white rocket on gold and blue halves back on track (if only that were the case today - heritage thrown away for corporate insensitivity) and just glad the club was once more alive.

We didn't win the league though so I guess we were failures.

Winning isn't everything and can be bought. Integrity is and can't be. .

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 3

BMR and changes seem to bite them in the rear end, they changed from VW to Subaru in the BTCC, what a disaster that has been, Barker for Kennett is even worse, there's more to that than is common knowledge, one is a 100% Team man, immaculate machinery, great Team around him, and good at helping other Riders, and the other is ?

BMR and changes seem to bite them in the rear end, they changed from VW to Subaru in the BTCC, what a disaster that has been, Barker for Kennett is even worse, there's more to that than is common knowledge, one is a 100% Team man, immaculate machinery, great Team around him, and good at helping other Riders, and the other is ?

a hundred percent trier home and AWAY!
  • Like 3

The problem with win at all costs is when you get the bill.

It just becomes a bunch of mercenaries, not a team.

I still cherish the Rockets' first league title back in 1980. I'd seen that team found and grown by the club, not just signed from whoever had been dropped by another team as part of a constant merry-go-round. That was real success. We knew the team as friends.

Progress?

Extra thought. The team that we had in 1999, the nomadic 'comeback' year will always be special to me. We were all up against it, fighting a league admin who didn't want us, fighting off the onlookers who wrote off our chances of running at all, seeing the white rocket on gold and blue halves back on track (if only that were the case today - heritage thrown away for corporate insensitivity) and just glad the club was once more alive.

We didn't win the league though so I guess we were failures.

Winning isn't everything and can be bought. Integrity is and can't be. .

The race jacket design is irrelevant. I was a fan of the 'traditional' design but you have to move with the times. Man Utd don't play in the same kit they had when they were founded for example.

Speedway is still a sport ultimately and fans want to see a winning team. The promotion are trying to give them that whether you agree with the changes or not (I'm not convinced). Having a happy to be here attitude doesn't have a place at the highest level of a sport.

3.68 away average for a number 1 says it all and that's when hes available and not long tracking or what ever (oh and don't forget the great home rider bombed in heat 13 and 15 in the big boys races in our home defeat against Belle Vue). Sedgman won three heats AT Kings Lynn this year. How can this be a crap decision?

Im fed up of having a team of "nice riders" who fold like a pack of cards away time and time again

What average is Barker coming in on? Can't see that he fits with Sedgie!

Barker and Harris in the team spells trouble it did at Coventry ask Scott