British Speedway Forum

Good to hear that Charles Wright has recently become a Poole Asset!! :-)

Shame about BWD...was thinking about sponsoring him this season, but heard through the grapevine he wasn't going to be riding for Somerset. Whether this transpires to be true or not, is another thing. Certainly put me off the idea though.

Must be the case for a lot of riders chasing sponsorship...not easy when you don't know where you'll be riding each season. Should imagine it puts off a lot of local potential sponsors if a rider is going elsewhere.

• Like 1

What a bizarre one. Just shows how pointless the asset system is too.

• Like 3

Shame about BWD...was thinking about sponsoring him this season, but heard through the grapevine he wasn't going to be riding for Somerset. Whether this transpires to be true or not, is another thing. Certainly put me off the idea though.

Must be the case for a lot of riders chasing sponsorship...not easy when you don't know where you'll be riding each season. Should imagine it puts off a lot of local potential sponsors if a rider is going elsewhere.

Have said for a long time that both fans and local sponsors do not want riders changing clubs. What is the point of Freds Garage next to the Somerset track paying a rider to advertise the garage in Glasgow.

National sponsors would be different but how many of those are there.

• Like 1

Recently? That was sorted near the start of the season, wasn't it?

Tungate was much better away from home last year in the top division, so he should score more at home as he's good at Somerset & hopefully keep up his good away scores!

Have said for a long time that both fans and local sponsors do not want riders changing clubs. What is the point of Freds Garage next to the Somerset track paying a rider to advertise the garage in Glasgow.

National sponsors would be different but how many of those are there.

I know of a local company in Ipswich that sponsored Chris Louis one year for all his clutch bills, with the company name on his fork covers. Trouble is he put the covers on his Polish bikes after a few weeks and hence that offer was never repeated. Local companies want local exposure, and this guy was left scratching his head and lost to speedway...

• Like 3

I know of a local company in Ipswich that sponsored Chris Louis one year for all his clutch bills, with the company name on his fork covers. Trouble is he put the covers on his Polish bikes after a few weeks and hence that offer was never repeated. Local companies want local exposure, and this guy was left scratching his head and lost to speedway...

I have seen the same with fans where their children follow a certain rider, who the parents then support with a few quid. You would often see the children with the riders caps and even a speedway bib at meetings, but now with riders moving on after one year the fans do not support them as much.

• Like 1

Can't remember if it was 2015 or 2016, but in one of the close seasons he was made a Somerset asset.

Fair play to Somerset on keeping the majority of the title winning team and then adding Hougaard as Sam Masters has made it clear where he wants to go and these days being an asset means very little apart from a loan fee.

not the team i was thinking somerset would put together . well . pl riders still in the pl. good luck with that . hope the fans still support your team seeing the same riders and paying a bit more for a totally different result .

as i said , good luck in 2017 .

Just sharing what it says in the paper!!

• Like 1

Have they released the prices for next season yet?

Is entrance fee and programme costs going to go up? Is parking going to increase?

Not sure how it could be justified, as it's just Premiership by name...quality of rider is just the same as last season imo.

• Like 2

All this talk about Holder coming to us I really do think it was never on due to all the reasons given. The guy I think who would have revelled at our place would have been Chris Harris. A notoriously poor gater he would have loved the chase as would the supporters. Fairly local lad as well.

I'm ok with our team though and looking forward to this new challenge.

I reckon bombers gonna struggle at rye, he would have loved the ota

• Like 3

Must be the case for a lot of riders chasing sponsorship...not easy when you don't know where you'll be riding each season. Should imagine it puts off a lot of local potential sponsors if a rider is going elsewher

If you are thinking of sponsorship, would you not rather put it into a ENGLISH rider, say Lambert ?