British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

Sure it's not _ _ V_ _ _ _ S_ _ ?

Oh, now i'm doubting myself :rofl:

Oh, now i'm doubting myself :rofl:

If they just name one of the 3.00ers, or nab Nathan Stoneman, this is going to be the worst game of hangman ever

David Mason and Nick Laurence have signed

Edited by eaglesno1

LAKESIDE HAMMERS PRESS RELEASE

:::::::::

LAKESIDE’S 2017 team is taking shape after they snapped up David Mason and Nick Laurence ahead of the new National League season.

The Vortex Hammers are preparing for an exciting new era after making the switch to the third tier and have bolstered their talented side with two experienced performers.
Mason, 40, holds the National League track record at the Arena-Essex Raceway and joins on a 6.54 average after spending last season with Kent.
Meanwhile, 26-year-old Laurence will slot in at reserve on a 3.00 average following some impressive appearances for Eastbourne last season.
Team boss Kelvin Tatum is pleased to welcome two more new additions to their side alongside Zach Wajtknecht, Ben Morley, Alfie Bowtell and George Hunter.
Said Tatum: “David Mason is an experienced rider, and he fitted very nicely into the third heat-leader slot for us.
“We’re pleased to have him and I think he’ll be very valuable. He’s a reliable scorer, but I think he’ll also have a positive impact on the younger riders off the track.
“Nick is a bit of an unknown quantity to a lot of people. He’s been in and out of the sport but he’s very excited to have a team place with the Hammers and I think he could surprise a few people.
“At this level especially, teams are always looking for riders who can come in on a low average and increase it significantly and I think Nick could do just that.
“The team is shaping up quite nicely. We have some people in mind for the final place, and myself and Jon Cook will keep monitoring things before making a decision.
“We’re very happy with the six riders we’ve signed, and now the New Year has arrived we’re looking forward to the season getting underway.”
The club are pushing ahead with plans for the new season and will be holding a fans night at the end of this month on a date to be confirmed shortly.

Edited by Guest

The last straw for me. Almost every fan you speak to over the last couple of years has been saying Jon Cook is losing the plot. This just about confirms he has lost it.

A great signing in the eyes of the attention seeking Gustix who never actuall pays to go through the turnstiles, but a 40 year old gating tart in decline is not going to provide the excitement that makes people part with their cash.

Rye House it is for me then, and it seems for a fair number of others as well

Not looking good at Lakeside.

After plummeting 2 divisions, I'd have expected Lakeside to build an exciting young team to challenge for the play-offs, not the wooden spoon.

LAKESIDE HAMMERS PRESS RELEASE

:::::::::

LAKESIDE’S 2017 team is taking shape after they snapped up David Mason and Nick Laurence ahead of the new National League season.

The Vortex Hammers are preparing for an exciting new era after making the switch to the third tier and have bolstered their talented side with two experienced performers.

Mason, 40, holds the National League track record at the Arena-Essex Raceway and joins on a 6.54 average after spending last season with Kent.

Meanwhile, 26-year-old Laurence will slot in at reserve on a 3.00 average following some impressive appearances for Eastbourne last season.

Team boss Kelvin Tatum is pleased to welcome two more new additions to their side alongside Zach Wajtknecht, Ben Morley, Alfie Bowtell and George Hunter.

Said Tatum: “David Mason is an experienced rider, and he fitted very nicely into the third heat-leader slot for us.

“We’re pleased to have him and I think he’ll be very valuable. He’s a reliable scorer, but I think he’ll also have a positive impact on the younger riders off the track.

“Nick is a bit of an unknown quantity to a lot of people. He’s been in and out of the sport but he’s very excited to have a team place with the Hammers and I think he could surprise a few people.

“At this level especially, teams are always looking for riders who can come in on a low average and increase it significantly and I think Nick could do just that.

“The team is shaping up quite nicely. We have some people in mind for the final place, and myself and Jon Cook will keep monitoring things before making a decision.

“We’re very happy with the six riders we’ve signed, and now the New Year has arrived we’re looking forward to the season getting underway.”

The club are pushing ahead with plans for the new season and will be holding a fans night at the end of this month on a date to be confirmed shortly.

​It's wonderful to see David Mason is still in the sport. It reminds of the 'great days of speedway' when riders like Jack Parker, Wilbur Lamoreaux and Ron Johnson were among many 40-year-plus riders dominating speedway in the late 1940s early 1950s.

And then riders like Tom Oakley and Harold McNaughton started riding in their late 30s - both were 38 year olds - but went on to ride at National League Division One level and both were capped for England at Division Two level when riding for clubs at that division.

And my classic age memory is when 50 year olds Geoff Pymar and Wal Morton were top scorers for Bradford in the early 1960s Provincial League - they once even partnered each other in a 100-years plus duo. Morton and Pymar both had speedway careers spanning more than 30 years.

There is too much emphasis on 'bringing on young kids' these days. My best wishes to David Mason for a successful 2017 season with Lakeside Hammiers.

Edited by Guest

David Mason will do a job at home at least ,, i hope his health holds up ,as he tends to miss several away meetings..However Nick Lawrence has been around for years struggling to get in any side because of his lack of ability , very poor signing you need improving youngsters at reserve,,,, I can live with Mason,,,But two old hands not what was required to keep the fans at Lakeside,,.

Edited by waco
  • Like 3

I think the signings have further implications than just the already documented shortfalls of each rider. With this two included it means that both Bowtell & Hunter will have to start the season in the main body of the team and with only 3.44 to play with there are limited options for a rider to use up those points or its sign another flat 3 pointer and end up almost half a point short of the team building limit.

Edited by Sings4Kings
  • Like 2

Nick is 26 and has been around for years, yet is still on a 3.00 average. I think that says it all.

Mason will do alright at home, albeit not in an entertaining manner. But away I would'nt be surprised if he often gets outscored by Bowtell or Hunter. Not a great team really.

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 2

David Mason will do a job at home at least ,, i hope his health holds up ,as he tends to miss several away meetings..However Nick Lawrence has been around for years struggling to get in any side because of his lack of ability,,,,Two old hands not what was required to keep the fans at Lakeside,,.

I have been critical of the Kent team building for this year but one good move was leaving Mason out.

You want to go to Speedway to be excited with what you see (the riders).

Trouble is you know what you will get with Mason.

Steady job at Home,struggle away,OK when gates infront but will not doing anything from behind.

Do not blame him for doing what he feels comfortable with at his age.

• Like 1

However if Mason does poodle around the track for 4laps I imagine like a Eastie, Mason will get pulled aside and told you either race properly or your out