British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

Bloody hell you lakeside fans are going on like Mason is a novice, not exciting signing but not the worst either. Support your riders!!

Seems to me the moment Ben Morley and Zach were confirmed as heat leaders, the make up of the team would always have a third heat leader the likes of David Mason. As Lakeside were a fairly late addition to the league, most of the other 6 point plus riders were probably already in place or been approached by other clubs. I remember David Mason coming in at reserve at Eastie year's ago due to an illness to one of the riders on the day, literally stepping into to an Elite league match with an hour's noticed.Think it was in the day's of John Cook being promoter, so he has known David for many year's. Although he may not add to his average this year can't see it dropping by any really .Although I prefer the ethos of the Dugards bringing in riders who look capable of upping their average, even we were prepared to give Ben Hopwood a go last year on an 8 at the start of the season because of his experience, but unlikely to increase it,thing's didn't work out through no fault of his own at that time, but we were happy to give it a go. Give this team a go and see what happens!

• Like 2

As mentioned earlier with the likes of Jack Smith & Rob Shuttleworth already signed for Glasgow & Workington respectively in the CL, this would have involved a lot of travelling for both as well as probably running R/R when missing. Nathan Stoneman would have been a good choice & might of been asked but declined , we will never know also I'm sure if Shane Hazeldean was fully fit for the start of the season he would have been an option but these are the circumstances & Dave Mason is the promotions choice with the average that was available. One thing for sure is that many visiting riders including their heat leaders will be taking their first laps around Lakeside & won't find it to easy to negotiate one thing Dave Mason won't need to worry about.

• Like 1

Well, from an Eastbourne point of view it will be great to cross swords with Lakeside again.

Got to be a reasonable bet that we will go back to Good Friday home and away. Hope so.

Be a good way for both clubs to get the 2017 season off to a start. You can almost guarantee decent crowds at both tracks that and it means the promotions get some money in the coffers from the off.

Roll on Easter.

How about an Easter triangle with Kent thrown in ?

Meetings Saturday, Sunday & Monday or one on Sunday and two on Monday.

Shall we let the season get underway before we get too judgmental Daytripper? BTW it also depends if its an opponent or a team-mate in fourth place surely?

A third place in a crucial last heat decider for a 4-2 with an opponent 'on your back wheel' behind you can be most valuable. And Mason would have the experience to keep his place to advantage.

It isn't just Heat 15 decider rs though is it. Mason finished third in almost half his races for Kent last season. He finished first in less than one out of every five races he started. That might be acceptable for a 20 year old second string on the way up but it doesn't inspire confidence on a 40 year old heatleader on the way down.

It is becoming obvious that David Mason was the only rider available that fits the bill regarding average,,Lakeside will suit his style and i expect him to more than hold his own round there especially as has been pointed out many visitors will have no experience round the track..i just hope he can up his game away and indeed he is well enough to compete in them.....

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

having smashed himself up in 2015 , he was probably still getting his confidence to come back in 2016 , at 40 he's not going to shrug it off like a 20 yr old . for what it's worth , i say give him a chance and i don't think he'll let you down.

It is becoming obvious that David Mason was the only rider available that fits the bill regarding average,,Lakeside will suit his style and i expect him to more than hold his own round there especially as has been pointed out many visitors will have no experience round the track..i just hope he can up his game away and indeed he is well enough to compete in them.....

It is. It's also becoming obvious that he wasn't first choice, otherwise he would have been among the first announced, not tacked on almost as an after thought and one of the last announced. We have got the wall flower nobody else wanted.

We don't want someone who can only hold their own around their home track. Most of the youngsters should be able to do that. We need someone who can score big points away- something David Mason has shown himself singularly unable to to on a regular basis.

The clue is in the job description- "Heatleader" not "Heat hold you owner at the home track"

• Like 1

In those races, who finished behind him and who finished directly in front of him? The important aspect is especially relevant from what team was the rider who finished directly ahead of him - a team mate or an opponent. If a team mate was ahead of him, no problem as it would have been team riding with an opponent behind him. And at the other end, if it was an opponent in the fourth place - that's what a race is all about surely? :rolleyes:

It is the heatleaders job to win races, not finish third in a 4-2 or 3-3, Whichever way you break it down he is not a great signing as a heat leader .

• Like 1

I can appreciate what a lot of posters are saying about Dave Mason not being possibly a heat leader standard nowadays & that he is not the greatest of travellers. But I cannot see many of the posters coming up with other possible names that's left at the average that was available. Also looking further as the season progresses I can see that Dave Mason will be a good back up 2nd string when either George Hunter or Alfie Bowtell up their average & become the 3rd heat leader.

I can appreciate what a lot of posters are saying about Dave Mason not being possibly a heat leader standard nowadays & that he is not the greatest of travellers. But I cannot see many of the posters coming up with other possible names that's left at the average that was available. Also looking further as the season progresses I can see that Dave Mason will be a good back up 2nd string when either George Hunter or Alfie Bowtell up their average & become the 3rd heat leader.

It would be pure speculation to suggest Stoneman, Smith or Hopwood. All would have been better.

Those being critical have a point - signing Mason, purely in terms of attracting fans, is a disaster. A 40 year old gater with a 6 point average is not what you need

and will actively discourage people from attending at a point when the fall from EL to NL will undoubtedly have some thinking (for right or wrong) about it anyway.

It contrasts spectacularly with the reaction of Mildenhall supporters to the signing of Armstrong. The difference being that Armstrong is of true heat leader standard, is likely to improve his starting average, is anything but a gater and is well known for his willingness to assist other members of the team.

That is precisely what an NL side and its fans want from a senior rider and Mason has none of them.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I very much doubt the signing of Mason will stop fans going, a good percentage of fans including myself have no idea who most of the riders in the National league are. Also I don't think their is a rider at this level that will pull punters through the gates, people will either enjoy this standard of racing or they won't in my opinion. I will give it ago but I'll be surprised if I go back much if it's like last time.

Edited by liam

I very much doubt the signing of Mason will stop fans going, a good percentage of fans including myself have no idea who most of the riders in the National league are. Also I don't think their is a rider at this level that will pull punters through the gates, people will either enjoy this standard of racing or they won't in my opinion. I will give it ago but I'll be surprised if I go back much if it's like last time.

If fans are a bit naive to NL racing then if they're going to have heard of anyone over the years it would be Mason because he's been in the bottom tier so long!

There are lots of names that I'm sure fans go to NL meetings solely to watch due to the hype and anticipation around them. For example expect neutral fans to watch Mildenhall meetings for Jenkins, BV last season with Bewley, BV this season with Bickley, the IOW or Eastbourne when they had Ellis, Birmingham with the 2 Jacks and KL with Robert Lambert. Fans want to watch the next big thing and it's the NL where the begin.

• Like 2