British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

And the circle keeps going on and on! Sure if it's left alone Gustix will move on from the subject as well.

That is your opinion,but facts seem to show otherwise.He has certain subjects that he keeps repeating year after year,not only for a few days or weeks.He never moves on,so gets the same response time after time

As the old song goes

Will the circle be unbroken By and by, by and by? Is a better home awaiting In the sky, in the sky?

I’ve never been a fan of Arena Essex when they’ve been in the top league. Strange isn’t it I just couldn’t get on with EL speedway at Arena. However I enjoyed second division racing there and also when they raced 3rd tier only a good few years back. So despite me not going to Arena at all last year, I will return at least for their opening meeting and probably a few others throughout the course of the 2017 season.

Despite the so called ‘best riders’ riding in the EL, I found Arena wasn’t the most entertaining track to watch these so called ‘big boys’, but the NL I think will produce a lot more passing. Yes it’ll probably be due to rider errors in some cases but Arena is a tight track and could well be a learning curve for many.

In relation to the team, I’d take this team if they could race in Hackney’s Waterden Road Stadium! Hang on, David Mason did! In all seriousness Arena need support to try and find a new home. If this season is the last one at The Arena Essex Raceway I think like many tracks, it’ll be confined the record books, just like Hackney.

So back to the team, Morley will be outstanding as he was last season at this level. I am surprised he’s not riding in a higher league although I’m sure that’ll probably happen.

Zach Wajtknech should do well, but after that the tail is extremely long. George Hunter I hope will be calmed down by the Tatum influence, otherwise he’ll be injured more of the season than fit.

Alfie Bowtell’s 3rd season in the sport and after a good start with Rye in 2015 didn’t perhaps live up to expectations at Mildenhall in 2015.

Nick Laurence will probably pick a few points up here and there judging by some of the team line-ups I’ve seen thus far and especially around Arena.

David Mason obviously still enjoys riding a speedway bike competitively. All though getting a lot of stick on here will be good for a few points both home and away. Yes the teams not got the look of a Belle Vue Colts team perhaps but as I stated earlier, I’d jump at the chance to have that team [or any other team for that matter] racing at The Wick!

Despite what Jon Cook has stated regards the availability of the track in 2017, I believe it goes a lot deeper than that. I see the main team sponsors Vortex seem to have departed and wonder if Stuart Douglas [and his financial input] has gone to, despite he’s still showing on the website as promoter.

As already stated cost of admission will make many people either go or stay away. They had a great programme in previous seasons but it needs to be a realistic price and probably changed to a less classy proggy. £15 including a programme I think would be the max. £12 admission and £2 for a basic programme would for me, be about right.

My biggest fear for the survival of Arena are will the crowds take from watching AJ to watching NL speedway.

Race days of course are always going to be issue. Whatever day of the week it’ll not please everyone. Location wise ideal but the M25, Dartford Crossings and the A13 argh……..

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 2

The trouble is John the last time Lakeside put on a fixture of NL standard they wanted £13 and it was only a challenge match against the Kent Kings, and I think that was 2015 so I can only see the price increasing but as others have said £12 plus £2 for a non flashy program is reasonable but I think they will expect £14 or 15 plus another £3 from an overpriced program, the Lakeside one is good but it's simply not worth £3 when you compare it to some football programs.

I think Sunday's would be a bad idea also as the M25 can have its moments late afternoon/evening, the only day the M25 really is not a risk is Saturday.

The Program at Lakeside was terrible.

Apart from the race card, what did you get:

1. A page of JC comments.

2. A page with Tatum's comments.

3. A fixture list and handful of photos that you can get online

4. Pages and pages of adverts

Not good value whatsoever

• Like 2

I have raised this query before - when would they stage home meetings? On alternate Sundays, the stadium owners stage their stock car meetings, while fairly regular Saturday night meetings are staged by another car racing group 'Rolling Thunder Show.'

Obviously, Lakeside will have to liaise with both car promotions to find the dates they are not staging meetings, then have their fixtures slotted in around the dates they then have on offer?

It all looks rather complex but I am positive that in the end this question of available dates can be resolved.

Like many London area speedway followers I sincerely hope the Lakeside Hammers will be on parade for the 2017 season even at National League level.

But what puzzles me is what day will they race on bearing in mind that two stock car promotions hold fairly regular weekend meetings - on some Saturday evenings and alternate Sundays?

What puzzles me is what day will Lakeside Hammers race on bearing in mind that two stock car promotions hold fairly regular weekend meetings - on some Saturday evenings and alternate Sundays?

These Saturday dates have already been booked by the Rolling Thunder Show. On alternate Sundays the stadium promoters as Arena Essex stage their stock car meetings.

This is the Rolling Thunder Show schedule for 2017 car racing meetings:

http://www.rollingthundershow.co.uk/Race-Dates.htm

Stadium owners stage their stock car meetings on alternate Sundays.

The Rolling Thunder Show who operate on Saturdays also have plenty of free dates on that night so there should be no problems in Lakeside Hammers scheduling a full 2017 speedway season. Here's the RTS fixture list:

At the moment it's a case of sorting out fixtures dates so as not to clash with the two car promotions at Arena Essex who are both active on Saturday and Sundays.

ROLLIMG THUNDER SHOW

ARENA ESSEX car racing

http://www.arena-essex-raceway.co.uk/graphics/fixture/2016_fixture_list.pdf

Saturdays have plenty of free dates - of which I am sure the Lakeside promotion is aware. The other long-term user on Saturdays is the Rolling Thunder Show whose 2017 fixture list is as follows:

Just in case anyone thinks gustix moves on when no-one comments,here is a little sample just from this thread,in case someone has missed the message :rofl:

• Like 3

Plymouth have announced there admission charges £10 adults,nothing for kids under 12 and I think £5 for teens I think that's pretty fair for national league racing.

• Like 4

Plymouth have announced there admission charges £10 adults,nothing for kids under 12 and I think £5 for teens I think that's pretty fair for national league racing.

That is what should be charged for NL Speedway.

It is a development League with some riders finding it hard to do 4 laps.

Plus older VERY experienced riders.

Well done Plymouth.

• Like 1

I don't know what you have been watching the past two seasons AJ, as once the season gets going mostly all the riders can get round 4laps quite easily.

You see just as many falls or crashes in CL or Pl ads you do Nl racing

• Like 1

ARENA ESSEX 2017 STOCK CAR FIXTURES

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

15844342_1266447813434627_22371908587996

Here we go again. Mr Cut-and-Paste Machine with nothing constructive to add to the discussion.

The Speedwáy fixture list is the only one people are interested in.

• Like 2

I still think Fridays are the most likely nights to run...Even with the cars running sats and sundays,it is running against Rye House on sats .i can not see that happening ...No more than 10 to 12 pounds to get in and 2 pound for a programme tops,,Any more and i can see many fans staying away..I hope they get it right and do not get greedy....

• Like 4

I'm pretty new to this site but why does gustix get so much grief guys what has he done wrong,so I no for the future.

I still think Fridays are the most likely nights to run...Even with the cars running sats and sundays,it is running against Rye House on sats .i can not see that happening ...No more than 10 to 12 pounds to get in and 2 pound for a programme tops,,Any more and i can see many fans staying away..I hope they get it right and do not get greedy....

Personally, I wouldn't quibble over the difference between £12 and £13, as long as the entertainment is good. If it's boring and processional in every race I wouldn't even want to pay £5

People say. NL racing has a particular attraction of its own . I am still undecided I'll probably give it a go with an open mind. I am prepared to accept lower skill level and get behind young riders making progress even if they fall off a bit, but I still don't see where David Mason fits into the bit picture.

As for the programme, I have always had one and to me it's part of the entertsinment. I enjoy reading the promoters notes etc and filling the scorechart in is part of the interest, but at this level I wouldn't want to pay much for one.

For a variety of reasons a lot of people I talk to have been slowly getting disenchanted with Jon Cook over the last year or two. The promotion have to make 100% effort to get the product right and engage the fans more this year otherwise it is just not going to work.

• Like 1

(i) I thought that Mr. Cook's decision to leave the higher echelons of professional Speedway were due, in no small part, to the apparent decrease in crowd numbers due to Friday night traffic? Supported by the sob stories of how he has to eat his dinner in the car on the M25; and that it takes Lord Tatum 5 hours to drive a few miles. If he now decides to run NL racing on Friday's, that proves he was therefore talking out of his rear end all along.

(ii) Anything more than between £10-£12 to watch this level of racing would be a complete rip-off.

That is what should be charged for NL Speedway.

It is a development League with some riders finding it hard to do 4 laps.

Plus older VERY experienced riders.

Well done Plymouth.

Isle of Wight's £12, £9 & children under 16 free is better.

Thing is Plymouth haven't offered a concessionary rate and I have known people to refuse to go for that reason alone. Bizarre but true. £2 isn't going to stop an adult, £10 for two teenage sons might.

Personally, I wouldn't quibble over the difference between £12 and £13, as long as the entertainment is good. If it's boring and processional in every race I wouldn't even want to pay £5

People say. NL racing has a particular attraction of its own . I am still undecided I'll probably give it a go with an open mind. I am prepared to accept lower skill level and get behind young riders making progress even if they fall off a bit, but I still don't see where David Mason fits into the bit picture.

As for the programme, I have always had one and to me it's part of the entertsinment. I enjoy reading the promoters notes etc and filling the scorechart in is part of the interest, but at this level I wouldn't want to pay much for one.

For a variety of reasons a lot of people I talk to have been slowly getting disenchanted with Jon Cook over the last year or two. The promotion have to make 100% effort to get the product right and engage the fans more this year otherwise it is just not going to work.

Thing is that's no different to PL or EL racing - value for money doesn't just apply to the NL.

NL racing can be as good as anything served up by the other leagues and its far more about the track than the riders. I see no reason why the high standard of racing I have seen at Purfleet will change.

NL programmes are usually cheaper but I am not quite sure why that is the case. They all do pretty much the same thing regardless of what standard the team is.

Birmingham and Eastbourne have made a very successful transition to NL racing, with attendances at Alexander Stadium apparently higher than they were at EL level. No reason why Lakeside can't do the same in future seasons, their late entry handicapping them a bit for 2017.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

The Program at Lakeside was terrible.

Apart from the race card, what did you get:

1. A page of JC comments.

2. A page with Tatum's comments.

3. A fixture list and handful of photos that you can get online

4. Pages and pages of adverts

Not good value whatsoever

I still have my programme from 17th September,v Swindon. It contains the items you mention plus the match report and details of our earlier fixture, an interview with Lewis Kerr, an introduction to Swindon including rider profiles, BSPA news, EL table and record of all results, an interview with Andy Young and news from around the EL tracks. In other words, as much or more than you get from any other programmes I have seen.

• Like 4