British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

But still no doubt the 'happy clappies' will continue to support Mr. Cook.

Not to mention subsequntly attend anothe fans forum at some Essex hotel function room; and hang on to every word of further lies and bullsh!t that's going to be spun them.

By the way, not having social media myself, can someone ask the club about the 14th home meeting that hasn't been delivered?

You obviously have Internet, why can't you email it yourself?

I think VOR means facebook, they used to have an active page on that but I don't use facebook anymore so can't confirm whether it's still going.

Daytripper, very interesting comments.

1. Agree with you. Jon was OK when he had Stuart and his Business Acumen to steer the club. Post Stuart at Lakeside he's got even worse than he was at Eastbourne.

2. Agree the sport is in a mess. However, clubs like Somerset, Glasgow, Rye House and Eastbourne seem to generating enthusiasm and are taking their clubs forward.

3. If it's a small minority of fans, then it really isn't a problem for the club.

Also, standing up at a Fans Forum is not the answer. Vote with your feet and do not attend is the only true way, which is what a majority have done.

Glasgow and Rye House been bought by men with very deep pockets, which is a good thing in one sense, but Glasgow have hardly seen a massive increase in their crowd base and Rye House have those year been running a very expensive team without success. Whether the owners of those clubs will want to carry on at the present rate when the money starts to run out remains to be seen. We had trouble in the so called "winter of discontent " 2010/11 two promoters thyought they could buy success and nearly brought the sport to its knees as a result. I still maintain that if Stuart Douglas' business plan for the sport had been adopted then, the sort would be in much better shape than it is now. But if wasn't so we are stuck with a sport that needs serious improvement if it is to survive.

If fans want to vote with their feet I have no problem with that. They are the customers and as in any business are entitled to look for the best deal. What I don't get is those that don't like the club as it is but instead of finding somewhere else just hang around moaning. Moaning never solved anything. As I said before, I have to have a long think this winter about whether I go back next year, but if I don't, I'll just leave, I sure hell won't be one of the moaning Minnie's that hang around complaining that it's not like the old days

Edited by Daytripper

Why should I bother contacting the club via email?

- At the end of the day, I'm not the promoter.

- At the end of the day, I'm not the guy who still hasn't given a valid reasen for Lakeside's withdrawl from the K.O. Cup.

- At the end of the day, Jon Cook is the guy who has criticised Friday racing - yet continues to primary run on errr.........Fridays.

- I'm not the guy who had previously committed to 14 meetings, yet delivered only 13.

- I'm not the guy who double-tags himself a 'Manager', yet only turns up at away fixtures that purely suit himself.

- I'm not the liar that has said he is looking for an alternative location when, in reality, he's probably done absolutely sod all to identify an alternative track.

So, far be it from me to email the club.

How about, for once, Jon Cook comes on HERE and answer the points that I have raised?

• Like 1

Why should I bother contacting the club via email?

- At the end of the day, I'm not the promoter.

.....and neither are you a paying customer and haven't been through the turnstiles at Lakeside for years.

- At the end of the day, I'm not the guy who still hasn't given a valid reasen for Lakeside's withdrawl from the K.O. Cup.

.... but you are apparently the guy who hasn't read the reasons given on the website.

- I'm not the guy who had previously committed to 14 meetings, yet delivered only 13.

?

......and you are not the guy who has bought a season ticket, either, so it's very little to do with you. I am sure the season ticket holders can and will speak for themselves at the end of season meeting in the Tavern on 27th October.

- I'm not the liar that has said he is looking for an alternative location when, in reality, he's probably done absolutely sod all to identify an alternative track.

No, you are just the guy who doesn't attend fans forums, doesn't meetings and therefore doesn't hear the interviews with Cook on race nights and doesn't know what's going on.

How about, for once, Jon Cook comes on HERE and answer the points that I have raised?

How about for once you attend the fans meeting on 27th October and put your points to Cook face to face, same as everyone else has to ?

Maybe we will get some clarification of what is happening next season at the meeting ,hope so..I guess there could also be a fair attendance of disgruntled season ticket holders,,that could be interesting to say the least...

When people who do not attend find time to moan about the promoter on this forum, they must lead very sad lives. Having in the past been

privileged to have known two or three quite prominent promoters and team managers, including Tommy Price at West Ham, I know a little about

the problems they face. So in general I am supportive of the men who put their money in. If you put yourself in their position, working hard to run

a speedway which is losing money, perhaps some of the criticism would cease. Instead of making comments like " I do not like N.L. racing" so

I won't go", such people should make the effort to support the club by getting to know the N.L.as I have done. They would be surprised at the

entertainment value.

• Like 3

The end of season meet up is only for limited numbers and I know from previous fans forums Jon does not like questions which have a negative undercurrent.

People can claim that those who are outspoken but don’t go must have sad lives but it would be even sadder to moan but then go anyway knowing nothing will change.

The only way to try and enforce change is to vote with ones feet and I don’t mean just Lakeside but speedway as a whole because it’s a mess in this country no matter the level of racing.

If your happy with the product as it stands and those things like irregular fixtures, guests etc don’t bother you then good for you, your obviously a very tolorent person but you are in a group of dwindling numbers.

But for purely all things Lakeside, if Jon will not stand down and allow a new owner to come in (if there is one) then he should at least bring in another promoter to help run the club and reinvigorate it, I don’t know what happened to Stuart Douglas but we really need him back, he is the one man who could talk me around, I trust him, I don’t want the club to close, I won’t it to be a pioneer, a leader and a example of how things can be done and done well, not half heartedly.

The negatives at lakeside are always going to be, the traffic problems and the lack of facilities at the stadium. The punters nowadays demand more for their money than standing on a grass bank. Unless Stuart Douglas has a magic wand, nothing is going to change.

• Like 1

Claret73, on 14 Oct 2017 - 1:18 PM, said:

The end of season meet up is only for limited numbers and I know from previous fans forums Jon does not like questions which have a negative undercurrent.

People can claim that those who are outspoken but don’t go must have sad lives but it would be even sadder to moan but then go anyway knowing nothing will change.

The only way to try and enforce change is to vote with ones feet and I don’t mean just Lakeside but speedway as a whole because it’s a mess in this country no matter the level of racing.

If your happy with the product as it stands and those things like irregular fixtures, guests etc don’t bother you then good for you, your obviously a very tolorent person but you are in a group of dwindling numbers.

But for purely all things Lakeside, if Jon will not stand down and allow a new owner to come in (if there is one) then he should at least bring in another promoter to help run the club and reinvigorate it, I don’t know what happened to Stuart Douglas but we really need him back, he is the one man who could talk me around, I trust him, I don’t want the club to close, I won’t it to be a pioneer, a leader and a example of how things can be done and done well, not half heartedly.

If John Cook doesn't like negativity, he shouldn't be involved in Speedway. Speedway at the moment is full of negativity and the only way forward is for Promoters to start listening to fans. If Cook actually faced up to the problems then perhaps he could turn a declining sport into a thriving one. Although this forum is full of differing opinions, the majority of people seem to agree on some of the major issues, so why don't promoters take on board what most fans are asking for and do something positive for once. For too long now, all that has been done is to paper over the cracks without any successful results. Now is the time to redecorate properly and re-establish the sport with credibility. There are still thousands of fans of Speedway, it's just about getting the product right and getting those fans back into the Stadiums. Sometimes you need to take a step backward to make 2 forward.

• Like 1

I have just checked the website and Jon and Stuart are listed as promoters, with Kelvin as Co-Promoter.

I don't think anybody is saying they are happy with the product as it stands today. We can rake over the coals of how it got into this state

but it wouldn't do any good. If asked 10 different fans you would probably get 10 different opinions. We can't change the past but the important question is where does the sport go from here. That is a question the promoters will have to answer when they shape the sport after the AGM, and the fans will have to decide whether to give their support, just as in any other business.

• Like 1

- I'm not the guy who double-tags himself a 'Manager', yet only turns up at away fixtures that purely suit himself.

Jon has never been a traveler, I think etiquette dictates that promoters are refrained from posting on this site..

The negatives at lakeside are always going to be, the traffic problems and the lack of facilities at the stadium. The punters nowadays demand more for their money than standing on a grass bank. Unless Stuart Douglas has a magic wand, nothing is going to change.

That is all true but remember also that Rick Frost invested a fortune in facilities at Peterborough and it still made very little difference to crowd numbers. Ultimately it is what happens on the track that will be the most important factor.

• Like 1