British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

It is pretty evident that there is no easy answer (speedway in general) and, for Lakeside in particular, geographical location is a major issue.

I agree, everyone has the option to 'vote with their feet' and, if enough do, the problem will be solved - no more speedway. Owning their own stadium, having bottomless pockets is a big plus for some (but not many) and virtually all the initiatives both past and future will, generally involve a financial risk of some kind. The latter is particularly relevant given that running/owning a speedway club more often than not has a negative impact on one's profit and loss account.

All that said, hopefully the authorities that be will come up with a refreshing new approach over the closed season - past experience however dictates that expectations are low.

• Like 2

Too right, Speedway is a sport governed by self interest. when it comes to the crunch, promoters will always look after number one.

• Like 1

Too right, Speedway is a sport governed by self interest. when it comes to the crunch, promoters will always look after number one.

In a sense they are driven by fans. The days are long gone when the majority of fans would get behind their team come what may. From.early in the season, as soon as a rider has a few bad rides we start getting comments on here like "Get rid of ride x" or "Come on promoter y, get your cheque book out" and teams hit a bad spot and crowds drop much more than they used to. On the one hand some promoters have a very narrow outlook, but the attitude of a lot of fans does not help. We criticise promoters with a "win at all costs attitude, but a big percentage of fans seem to have a similar outlook.

Being an ex Wimbledon fan I don't have these problems. As a neutral I just want to see decent racing on a well prepared track.

I don’t agree that if people vote with their feet a club will close, first thing that the current promoter does is place the club up for sale to try and recoup loses, if and only when a buyer doesn’t come forward is there a danger of a club closing.

A new ownership could be in the form of an individual, a small group or even a collective of fans, just because one management structure can’t make it work, doesn’t mean others won’t be able to.

I dont agree that if people vote with their feet a club will close, first thing that the current promoter does is place the club up for sale to try and recoup loses, if and only when a buyer doesnt come forward is there a danger of a club closing.

A new ownership could be in the form of an individual, a small group or even a collective of fans, just because one management structure cant make it work, doesnt mean others wont be able to.

Who is going to want to buy a club with fears if the club will have a track to race at and hardly any fans because everyone has voted with there feet so the club will be losing money? Think you are dreaming to be honest
  • Like 3

So are you saying there is no point because we are going to lose the raceway sooner rather than later?

So are you saying there is no point because we are going to lose the raceway sooner rather than later?

No point in what? Voting with your feet?

I thought they were sourcing a site for a new track; should Arena Essex sell-up.

That should be an interesting update (at the 14th Home Meeting). ;)

If the current promotion shut down there is nothing to stop someone else finding a site in Essex and running, obviously that can’t be done now because so long as Lakeside are running another licence would not get approval in the same county.

But and it’s a big but, if Arena Essex is doomed and there isn’t another place in Essex to stage speedway then all this talk and debate is for nothing.

So we are looking for someone to come in and buy some land to build a track for a club that doesnt make money. Sounds like a good investment.

So we are looking for someone to come in and buy some land to build a track for a club that doesnt make money. Sounds like a good investment.

How do you know that Lakeside doesn't make money Liam?

How do you know that Lakeside doesn't make money Liam?

I thought only Poole made a profit when Lakeside was in the Elite league and Nigel Pearson was only tweeting less than a week ago saying not a chance of making a living being a promoter of a club in the top league. A few fans would do well to read his tweets about the subject to be honest.

I thought only Poole made a profit when Lakeside was in the Elite league and Nigel Pearson was only tweeting less than a week ago saying not a chance of making a living being a promoter of a club in the top league. A few fans would do well to read his tweets about the subject to be honest.

I would suggest that Nigel Pearson (and maybe some others) need to check out accounts held by Companies House then Liam.

It's all in the public domain; and (one would hope) a tad more accurate than 'tweets' made by Lord Shoutalot.

So what are you saying? Jon Cook is loaded and he will pay for a new stadium? money will have to come from somewhere if the Hammers are to carry on long term, does not matter whether we are getting 500 or 5000 fans.