British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

As a Lakeside fan forum member who does regularly attend meetings I have to defend Kev a little bit. On said forum he has been consistent with his point of view, and all criticism has been constructive with the long term well being of the Hammers and their fans at it's heart. The same is true of most others who post there. We may be few in number in terms of membership but at least we have somewhere to put our points of view across. The debate can be lively but it's nearly always respectful.

Personally I quite enjoyed our season in the NL when we had a meeting that is. Far too few fixtures in my opinion. Sadly the crowd numbers were pretty much halved by the change of league and on that basis NL may not be viable for the club going forward. Despite the current promotion's faults, they are the only game in town. I'd rather them than no speedway at all.

Wasn't you a member of Kev's forum once Liam - until you threw your toys out the pram one day: because you didn't agree with the point of view expressed by others?

No toys were thrown but it ended up being the same old stuff, hardly anything mentioned other than everything ending up in a Jon Cook rant. They forum used be good but over time all the good posters gradually started posting less and less. I mean its a Lakeside forum that does Rye House and Leicester meeting reports lol, I can use this forum for that. How many Leicester ones did you end up doing bal?

Hi Mark, I'm more than happy to continue with the forum and enjoy the varied opinions and occasional banter. I only opened it because the old was was taken away from us rather pathetically. What I don't like is people making judgements about how I should think just because I am the admin. My opinion is no more important that any one else, so why should I have to think a particular way.

I don't want the club to fail, I don't want any club to fail, but if I don't like how it's being run I am not going to part with any money, especially when I have an alternative.

Just for the record I have never said how you should think and have said more than once I am glad Rye have brought you more enjoyment. But to say people shouldnt bother going and if the club closes then so be it because it will anyway is a bit over the top. The comment regarding you being the admin is a light hearted joke. Edited by liam

No toys were thrown but it ended up being the same old stuff, hardly anything mentioned other than everything ending up in a Jon Cook rant. They forum used be good but over time all the good posters gradually started posting less and less. I mean its a Lakeside forum that does Rye House and Leicester meeting reports lol, I can use this forum for that. How many Leicester ones did you end up doing bal?

Just for the record I have never said how you should think and have said more than once I am glad Rye have brought you more enjoyment. But to say people shouldnt bother going and if the club closes then so be it because it will anyway is a bit over the top. The comment regarding you being the admin is a light hearted joke.

Without Kev this fans forum wouldn't exist as Jon Cook closed last one , awesome PR and yet another blunder by him to follow the numerous false promises and poor management by him of the club and letting down the Lakeside fans time after time. If people don't think he is an issue with Lakeside's decline fine but the numbers don't lie bringing the club to point of extinction since Stuart became no longer involved on day to day basis. I 100% agree with Kev on Rye where many of the fans have gone . As rank novices to Speedway they are running their business so much better and have a grip on the first item in business you need to study , respect, communicate , and look after your customers .

• Like 2

I agree with most of what Liam is saying. I'm not a fan of NL racing and didn't go to many meetings. I missed the adrenalin rush I enjoyed in previous seasons which came from caring so much whether or not the team won. But I would never, ever support another club. How is that possible? People can do what they like, support whom they like, they don't have to be as dedicated or as passionate as others are, but if you can so easily transfer your allegiance to another team, then you couldn't really have been a passionate fan of Lakeside. Which is fine, but do we have to keep on being told how wonderful Rye House is, how terrible Jon Cook is, etc? We've heard it, we get it, but it can be tiresome to keep on hearing the same things.

There's one more thing. Whatever anyone says about Lakeside, you can turn up 5 minutes before the start and a, get a decent parking space, and b, have a choice of places to watch from (whatever the size of the crowd) - two things very much lacking on the one occasion I went to Rye House. And I'm not knocking RH, good luck to them, genuinely, but it's not all about seats and fish and chips.

Edited by Prince Regent
  • Like 1

I agree with most of what Liam is saying. I'm not a fan of NL racing and didn't go to many meetings. I missed the adrenalin rush I enjoyed in previous seasons which came from caring so much whether or not the team won. But I would never, ever support another club. How is that possible? People can do what they like, support whom they like, they don't have to be as dedicated or as passionate as others are, but if you can so easily transfer your allegiance to another team, then you couldn't really have been a passionate fan of Lakeside. Which is fine, but do we have to keep on being told how wonderful Rye House is, how terrible Jon Cook is, etc? We've heard it, we get it, but it can be tiresome to keep on hearing the same things.

There's one more thing. Whatever anyone says about Lakeside, you can turn up 5 minutes before the start and a, get a decent parking space, and b, have a choice of places to watch from (whatever the size of the crowd) - two things very much lacking on the one occasion I went to Rye House. And I'm not knocking RH, good luck to them, genuinely, but it's not all about seats and fish and chips.

Spot on mate.

Spot on mate.

But it is about value for money , entertainment, professionism, connecting with the fans, and decent facilities.

I would not call the current facilities at Rye House as other than very basic. It used to have about 1000 seats around both bends before

the current owners took over and the grandstand by the Pits was also much bigger with lots more seats. The big Bar building has been

destroyed so the only bar is at the top of some very steep steps....oh yes..and what happened to the referees' box ? As to the car park,

well, if you can find a space ( which is unlikely) there's more pot holes than parking. So all those ex-Hammers who have transferred their

allegiance simply because they are in the top league can stop ranting about how wonderful things are there. As has been mentioned, at

:Lakeside we have a much much better car park which I happen to think is important as I don't like driving to a track and then having to

walk half a mile after parking. Personally I happen to enjoy the roughness of the National League and I hope that Jon Cook decides to stay

in that division. IMO a move back into the senior league would see the club close for ever.

• Like 2

But it is about value for money , entertainment, professionism, connecting with the fans, and decent facilities.

Lakeside will charge the same as any other club and the racing will be the same as what its been any other year Lakeside have been in the top league. Unfortunately the facilities is down to the owner of the stadium so nothing the promotion can do. Sorry I dont get all this connecting with the fans cobblers, can someone tell me what this involves once in the stadium or what the other promotions do to connect with fans? Edited by liam

Nothing to do with the promoters ,i do not think the Premier league will be viable at Lakeside ,its a numbers game

So the most important thing about speedway is the car park!!

How any Lakeside supporter can call Rye house facilities basic is crazy. Lakeside is so cold and bleak.

Your miles from the track and not a seat in sight. Even though they have taken down the seats on the bends, there is still plenty of seating at Rye house. Lakeside has nothing - diddly squat.

Nobody is ranting about how good it is there, just stating the plain fact that it is better. Plus also it was cheaper to watch than Lakeside was in 2016.

As for loyalty I think many peoples heart as with teams no longer with us - Hackney, West Ham etc

• Like 2

Rye House was probably cheaper in 2016 as Lakeside was in the Elite league and Rye was in the Premier league.

Edited by liam

He meant that 2017 Rye House charged less for top division matches than Lakeside did in 2016.