British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

I would be more concerned why your team keep getting the wooden spoon voice of reason lol

What team would that be Liam?

Some of us would give anything to see our teams one more time, win or lose.

When they have gone we still love our sport, so if we can we go to the most convenient team and develop some passion towards them. None of us want to see that club close as we know the pain that comes with closure. So when we see a promoter, showing such contempt for fans, spouting nonsense and ultimately making decisions which reduces the fans base, it outright annoys some of us.

Edited by KevtheRev

When they have gone we still love our sport, so if we can we go to the most convenient team and develop some passion towards them. None of us want to see that club close as we know the pain that comes with closure. So when we see a promoter, showing such contempt for fans, spouting nonsense and ultimately making decisions which reduces the fans base, it outright annoys some of us.

Leicester

That would be our idiot promoter who thinks if anyone doesn’t agree with what he thinks means they are either stupid, biased or both.

The idiots are those who don't bother tho actually read what he said but would rather listen to those who mis quote him.

Cook has his faults and one of them is sometimes speaking without his brain in gear first, but just as bad are those that pluck a few words out of a sentence then twist it to suit their own agenda.

• Like 1

Examine the facts more closely and you might find its not necessarily entirely in Cooks hands. I am not going to defend his ability (or lack of) as a communicator but the plain facts are that the AGM was moved forward last year, to a date to early to commit to anything because the stadium owners had not got their stock car fixtures sorted . What was Cook to do?Commit to the top league "blind" and then risk losing the £30,000 bond because he couldn't fulfill his commitment at a later date ? These decisions are easy for those on the outside that don't risk losing thirty grand if it all goes wrong.

The picture seems to be changing now becsuse from what I hear from the people renting the shops at the stadium is that they are taking less because of smaller crowds and they in turn are complaining to the stadium owners about the rents they pay when their income is less . It seems the stadium owners are beginning to realise that they, and the shops need the income from Speedwáy more than they previously realised. As with any business, there are many factors those not involved are not necessarily aware of.

• Like 1

As suspected, wrong answer.

O sorry I saw him posting meeting reports on the supposedly Lakeside fans forum, or was it just the one report then gave up after he knew they was getting another wooden spoon lol

If Lakeside are allowed to jump 2 leagues because they fancy it then that makes the whole sport an even bigger joke, and the whole of the 2017 season has meant nothing. Cook should be rounded up with another half dozen or so dodgy promoters and stripped of any licences they hold.

Lakeside have always had dire crowds and the are not going to improve now.

Jon Cook clearly thinks he is bigger then the sport, and it won't wash for me.

If Lakeside are allowed to jump 2 leagues because they fancy it then that makes the whole sport an even bigger joke, and the whole of the 2017 season has meant nothing. Cook should be rounded up with another half dozen or so dodgy promoters and stripped of any licences they hold.

So what is the issue with another team bolstering the numbers of the top league!!!

Surely the more teams coming to the tapes the better...you have a really blinkered and narrow minded view teaboy :nono:

It doesn't. The nature of Speedway here is that teams ride in the league they can (at least try to) sustain racing in. With leagues built to differing strengths then it is unlikely that a second tier team would actually win their two legged play-off. So basically it's no more than two token meetings. If there was straight up and down relegation then fine, there's no reason there shouldn't be if promotion and relegation are to be persisted with but then that should also encompass the standalone NL sides really.

As a Rye fan, Lakeside in the top flight too gives us a local derby which is fine by me.

But it was ok for them to drop two leagues?

Lakeside already have a license to run top flight speedway. It was put on ice at the end of last season.

You got their before me...was just going to post that but read the thread first.

It was a similar situation to that Eastbourne, where their Elite League licence was put on ice for a year while they went NL.

Of course, we now know that Eastbourne didn't go back to EL racing.

As a second point, people complain about Jon Cook not communicating. Putting stuff in the Speedway Star has to be a good start, surely. Put it on the club's website, as they appear to have done....what else do people want? A personal visit to their home from Jon Cook to inform them?

That's what it appears like.

Speedway fans have a habit of complaining that they are kept in the dark when the story is on the club website and often been picked up by the media.

You got their before me...was just going to post that but read the thread first.

It was a similar situation to that Eastbourne, where their Elite League licence was put on ice for a year while they went NL.

Of course, we now know that Eastbourne didn't go back to EL racing.

As a second point, people complain about Jon Cook not communicating. Putting stuff in the Speedway Star has to be a good start, surely. Put it on the club's website, as they appear to have done....what else do people want? A personal visit to their home from Jon Cook to inform them?

That's what it appears like.

Speedway fans have a habit of complaining that they are kept in the dark when the story is on the club website and often been picked up by the media.

Good post. As has been said many times before, half the trouble is people not reading things properly, or not reading them at all then complaining they were never informed.

Congratulations though to Mr Alfie Bowtell, seventh in the NL riders championship. Great improvement from him this season.

We have the first leg of the PO semi v Belle Vue this Friday, 29th September.

• Like 1

May be I was a bit harsh on the lack of communication its only that

I do the club and suppose needed to know it is safe and moving to new premises

by the sound of it happy days. re the playoff on Friday decent guest at no 1 and should

take a lead to belle vue next week.and lets hope all the moaning minnies on here

turn up on Friday an put their money where their mouths are COYH.