British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

You know the fact BT Sport are going to show the promotion/relegation play off makes me wonder if they are taking it that seriously then its not going to look good on them if next year they have to explain how other teams have leapfrogged there way into the top division without earning it.

I want the Hammers racing at a higher level but it must not be at the expence of destroying the sports credability anymore than it already has.

I would be happy with the second division and loose derbies with Ipswich and continue the progression of riders like Ben, Zach and Alfie.

• Like 2

I think plenty of the fans would be happy with a competitive championship league with its regular racing and reduced costs all round.compared to the1st division,,.i think Cook is and always was interested only in Premier league racing and why he appeared to show little interest in the National league this year

Edited by waco

With Ipswich probably moving up, the championship would be an awful league for the hammers. Hardly any local derbies, no away fans and the majority of the teams up north. Regionalisation has already started in my eyes.

• Like 1

A regional league would make more sense, matches against Ipswich and Rye House have always been good for crowds, they could even bring back the three team tournament.

In my view Speedway is not best suited to a promotion/relegation scenario. The cost of participating varies widely across the three levels and each promotion has to decide which financial scenario best suits their pockets. Not much point in being promoted and going bust as a result!

• Like 1

I am all for a big north and south regional league ,,With the top teams facing one another for the championship,,i really think it is the way to go to save british speedway

I am all for a big north and south regional league ,,With the top teams facing one another for the championship,,i really think it is the way to go to save british speedway

The danger is that the North will be the Championship + Belle Vue & the South will be the Premiership + P'boro/Ippo. Whilst logistics would be a lot easier & attract travelling supporters there is a danger that the mentality of the stronger / more experienced at higher level clubs could strangle the other sides?

I am talking about one big league built to the same points limit. ,then split into north and south sections with a play off featuring the top two in each section.....the team strengths being between championship and premier level..

Edited by waco

So Lakeside don't make the final.

Therefore, I wonder what the minimum 14th Home Meeting (as promised by the Promotion pre-season) is going to be?

Over to you Jon Cook and Kelvin Tatum.

P.S. Has anyone got Facebook, etc. to ask them?

I am talking about one big league built to the same points limit. ,then split into north and south sections with a play off featuring the top two in each section.....the team strengths being between championship and premier level..

The trouble is there are not enough riders to go round in one big league, unless there is doubling up with certain riders riding in both leagues, which of course would be a nonsense but doubling up between the two present leagues doesn't make a great deal of sense anyway.

In principle I like the idea of two leagues, North and South, with the top two in each league contesting the play offs but there are a lot of details to be sorted out including race nights. It's pretty clear the difference between Premier and Chapionship leagues is getting narrower all the time probably with a view to combining the two, but we'll have to see what happens at the AGM. What is clear is that we have probably seen the end of highly paid foreign stars, not that there were many left anyway

Because of all the question marks about the Chanpionship or Premiership leagues, and the high cost of running at either level, I would

prefer our team to stay in the National League. With a season's experience behind both Jon Cook and Kelvin Tatum will be able to spend

the winter putting together a more balanced team likely to produce better racing. Having said that, we have been one of the top 4 clubs in the

league this year which isn't bad first time round, and I have enjoyed the racing some of which has been top drawer. I suspect that if we were

to go in the Premier League as Jon Cook has indicated, we would niot be able to afford the better riders so would most likely be cannon fodder.

Because of all the question marks about the Chanpionship or Premiership leagues, and the high cost of running at either level, I would

prefer our team to stay in the National League. With a season's experience behind both Jon Cook and Kelvin Tatum will be able to spend

the winter putting together a more balanced team likely to produce better racing. Having said that, we have been one of the top 4 clubs in the

league this year which isn't bad first time round, and I have enjoyed the racing some of which has been top drawer. I suspect that if we were

to go in the Premier League as Jon Cook has indicated, we would niot be able to afford the better riders so would most likely be cannon fodder.

What better riders? Its pretty much Championship standard anyway with a couple of top class riders like Doyle.

So any news yet of the 14th Home Meeting then?

Since Kelvin Tatum's note on the website last Friday (which allludes to the fact that the season is now over), Jon Cook seems very quiet.

Whilst I know that he couldn't be bothered going to Belle Vue (despite being Lakeside's Promoter) you'd at least think he'd find time to communicate via the clubs' website - or indeed its' wonderful social media?

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

Indeed, and whilst of course the fact Kings Lynn pulled out is beyond the control of the club they did nonetheless pull out of the Koc which further deprived season ticket holders of another match they had already paid for.

The fans at Lakeside are treated very badly and it’s one of the key reasons I have not been able to grab any enthusiasm to go this season, it’s literally the first time in 30 years I have not been to at least a few meetings during a season, most of of those 30 years I went to all the home meetings or at least 90% of them.