British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

So what are you saying? Jon Cook is loaded and he will pay for a new stadium? money will have to come from somewhere if the Hammers are to carry on long term, does not matter whether we are getting 500 or 5000 fans.

It can't be done without help from the local council, as in the case of Belle Vue. I can't reiterate all that has been done so far but it's all in the public domain, or on this forum for those that care to look.

In a nut shell, everything seems to be on hold until a decision is taken about where to locate the new Dartford crossing ( or more precisely the Thames crossing ) Until that decision is made, and with what decisions follow on road building et lots of potential investors on all kinds of matters , not just Speedwáy, are biding their time. It looks like Speedwáy will now be at Arena for the short term future, but beyond that nobody really knows.

I would suggest that Nigel Pearson (and maybe some others) need to check out accounts held by Companies House then Liam.

It's all in the public domain; and (one would hope) a tad more accurate than 'tweets' made by Lord Shoutalot.

Considering he is joint owner of a club and knows other owners well who get online abuse I would say he knows what he is talking about.

So what are you saying? Jon Cook is loaded and he will pay for a new stadium? money will have to come from somewhere if the Hammers are to carry on long term, does not matter whether we are getting 500 or 5000 fans.

I am saying he is not loaded and runs the club because he is passionate about the sport and most probably makes very little from doing so. I am all for change but I dont see a long queue of people waiting to buy speedway clubs, look how many have been lost over the years. In my opinion if Cook decided enough was enough I think Lakeside would be the next club to join that list. Edited by liam

I thought Stuart Douglas held the purse strings at lakeside. Is jon Cook employed by the club or does he have a financial stake in the hammers.

New stadiums do not come cheap. A person investing money to build a stadium for Speedway would have to be a big enthusiast and be able

to suffer the financial cost.. This is not impossible as enthusiasts of all kinds spend their money on unlikely schemes. However it is highly

unlikely, so stop dreaming, start supporting your club while it is still there. Face the Facts...use it or lose it. Simple.

• Like 2

New stadiums do not come cheap. A person investing money to build a stadium for Speedway would have to be a big enthusiast and be able

to suffer the financial cost.. This is not impossible as enthusiasts of all kinds spend their money on unlikely schemes. However it is highly

unlikely, so stop dreaming, start supporting your club while it is still there. Face the Facts...use it or lose it. Simple.

Well said mate.

Stadiums do not come cheap, but it was Cook who said he was looking for one, or a place to build one.

As for supporting your club, why continue to hand over money to the man who is running it into the ground.

Even since Stuart stopped his day to day involvement the place has gone downhill year after year and the decision to drop down has been a disaster.

Better to not attend and hopefully he will leave and somebody else will come in to run the club. If not and it closes, well, it is going to happen anyway.

• Like 1

Stadiums do not come cheap, but it was Cook who said he was looking for one, or a place to build one. Having recently spoken to a Hammers official, that work is still going on in the background.

As for supporting your club, why continue to hand over money to the man who is running it into the ground. ​Or keeping the sport going in the absence of anyone else doing so.

Even since Stuart stopped his day to day involvement the place has gone downhill year after year and the decision to drop down has been a disaster. ​Alternately, Stuart is maximising his income stream in order to keep the Hammers in operation - dropping down gave the promotion a breathing space to sort out various issues.

Better to not attend and hopefully he will leave and somebody else will come in to run the club. If not and it closes, well, it is going to happen anyway. ​What a pessimist you are.

There is always an alternate viewpoint and the end of season event is virtually fully subscribed (only 3 spaces left at the time of posting)..

Stadiums do not come cheap, but it was Cook who said he was looking for one, or a place to build one.

As for supporting your club, why continue to hand over money to the man who is running it into the ground.

Even since Stuart stopped his day to day involvement the place has gone downhill year after year and the decision to drop down has been a disaster.

Better to not attend and hopefully he will leave and somebody else will come in to run the club. If not and it closes, well, it is going to happen anyway.

What a fantastic comment, dont go and if it closes then so what its going to close anyway. Wow. Admin of the Lakeside hammers fans forum everyone. Thankfully I have never come across another fan in any sport I follow who thinks like this. Edited by liam

I’m behind Kev The Rev, neither of us want to see the club close but I suspect both want to see the club moved forward, whether that is with the current administration or another.

As it stands there are a lot of unhappy fans, even some who used to back the club vehemently have in more recent times been critical of certain elements and then you have the ones who are never seen or heard from again, are they gone for good? Who knows?

But let’s get one thing straight, no one is going to put up with something they are not happy about, sure the likes of myself, Kev and Vor could dissapear into the ether never to be seen or heard of again, does that help the Hammers?

Its called sticking by your team through thick and thin, unfortunately you have to go through some lows at times to have the highs. Its a difficult time for the club but if people stick by the club then hopefully it will lead to having a new home and maybe in the future a new promoter will come along who can take the club forward, but as things stand only Jon Cook / Stuart Douglas are putting there money on the line for the club.

• Like 1

It would take a brave man or a lunatic to take the hammers on. A stadium with a short shelf life, an ever dwindling fan base and the obvious problems that affect the area on a race night. Like him or loathe him, jon cook might be the only option.

What a fantastic comment, dont go and if it closes then so what its going to close anyway. Wow. Admin of the Lakeside hammers fans forum everyone. Thankfully I have never come across another fan in any sport I follow who thinks like this.

Thank you for your high praise, but do you think I'm the only one who no longer attends having had enough of the perceived issues and not prepared to hand over my well earned cash.

Yes I am admin of the forum, but as I have made clear I now attend Rye House and have no inclination to go back to Lakeside. Perhaps I should just close the forum, but that would be rather inconsiderate - like the owner of the previous forum. remind me who that was again!!!

Thank you for your high praise, but do you think I'm the only one who no longer attends having had enough of the perceived issues and not prepared to hand over my well earned cash.

Yes I am admin of the forum, but as I have made clear I now attend Rye House and have no inclination to go back to Lakeside. Perhaps I should just close the forum, but that would be rather inconsiderate - like the owner of the previous forum. remind me who that was again!!!

Yes I know you go Rye House and they treat you really nice there, I am pleased for you. I wouldnt close the forum as you say that would be really unfair, especially to the two or three actual Lakeside fans that use it. You seem to care more about closing the forum though than you do about the club actually closing. If Lakeside do close at least you can just change the forum name Kev but for some of us that will be us done with speedway. Edited by liam

Surely kev , it would be more appropriate to contact the owners of Lakeside , or members of the forum to get someone else to look after it, positive attitude is what is needed throughout the country.

Hi Mark, I'm more than happy to continue with the forum and enjoy the varied opinions and occasional banter. I only opened it because the old was was taken away from us rather pathetically. What I don't like is people making judgements about how I should think just because I am the admin. My opinion is no more important that any one else, so why should I have to think a particular way.

I don't want the club to fail, I don't want any club to fail, but if I don't like how it's being run I am not going to part with any money, especially when I have an alternative.

• Like 1