British Speedway Forum
Alex2000

Eastbourne 2017

I was thinking exactly the same thing, and considering most teams either didn't finish or just finished their meetings last season, you would have thought it would have been started earlier

As things have gone a little quiet on here i thought i would start a little friendly debate (stir up)

The Eastbourne side this year has been built around a strength in depth basis and if all riders are firing i think it will inflict some heavy defeats on some teams however........it also includes Baseby, Dugard, Coles & Powell who can all go missing from meetings / suffer huge drops in form out of nowhere so are any fans concerned that this could be the worst season since dropping into the NL?

The only rider I'd be concerned about is Baseby he's been around the longest and is still only at this level. From the way Connor came across in the press release about Kelsey he will be on his case and if form drops I'm sure he will 'rest' him.

To be honest if we'd had Perks or Hughes at 1 this would be my perfect team for this season.

Just a shame we won't be trying out your theory against you eh Sings4Kings.

You have to say the Eastbourne management have a knack of getting a team together that pulls in the same direction.

You should never under-estimate the value Martin Dugard adds when it comes to riding advice/mechanical know how etc.

Perks turned his season round at Eastbourne last year and I think The Master of Arlington had a heck of a lot to do with that.

The other thing is that the Dugards are not afraid to change the team, if needs be.

• Like 1

As things have gone a little quiet on here i thought i would start a little friendly debate (stir up)

The Eastbourne side this year has been built around a strength in depth basis and if all riders are firing i think it will inflict some heavy defeats on some teams however........it also includes Baseby, Dugard, Coles & Powell who can all go missing from meetings / suffer huge drops in form out of nowhere so are any fans concerned that this could be the worst season since dropping into the NL?

I imagine quiet because we're all fairly content at the moment seeing the other teams. We have a few faults as fans (not many I grant you! ) but I think generally we all like to give the riders chosen by the Dugards a go without bitching before the season starts. As has been said, the Dugards aren't shy of making changes if it doesn't work, but hopefully it will .Ko cup is always a good possibility with our massive home track advantage and top four in the league then who knows. Crikey I've talked myself into our best season yet not forgetting the NL trophy!!! Edited by gazzac

I don't know enough about Coles but I have no fears about Kelsey, think he will have a really good year now he is back home and Charley Powell

was getting to grips with things as the year went on despite a broken collar bone. He was not my original choice as I wanted Kyle Hughes and a 3 pointer but I am sure Charley will continue to successfully make the conversion from grass this year .

My big concern is Mark Baseby who looked useful when here with IOW but certainly not the No 1 we are used to.

It could well be our worst NL season because there is such a high standard to live up to but it should still be a good season and don't write off the impact that Tom Brennen will have. You also have to factor in that anyone not earning his keep can be dropped. I think the Spillers will be available in July after Exams.

Factor in our home record and we won't need many away points to get in the top 4 and there are some pretty weak teams beginning to developed.

Don't forgot Georgie, who has improved every season and was putting in No1 performances at the end of the season.

Which is why the club said the team was being built around him as I expect Georgie to be at No1 this season

• Like 1

not so sure Mark can improve his average but as long as it doesn't drop against some of the no.1's he'll be racing against he won't be doing badly . i can see the other 6 all improving . worried ? i'm always worried that we could have a start like last season .

Don't forgot Georgie, who has improved every season and was putting in No1 performances at the end of the season.

Which is why the club said the team was being built around him as I expect Georgie to be at No1 this season

Think you could be right, and Mark at 5 would probably suit him better.

I have no doubt that this Eastbourne side could go out and conquer all but it could wobble a bit?

Baseby - Capable of beating the best riders in the league when applied but can go missing & will go down at the slightest touch

Dugard - Potential has been evident for years but progress has been slower than expected

Coles - Super quick when in the mood but machinery is often a problem (Dugards ma be the answer) will he have one eye on PL meetings the following day though?

Extance - Bargain average if he returns to anywhere near his potential. Could be first out the door if he doesn't set the ground running.

Wood - A natural motorcyling talent from a young age. Could well have the number 1 jacket by season end but temprement a concern.

Powell - Still awkward on a bike. Lacks speedway basics but has plenty of speed. A potent threat but also a potent hazard.

Brennan - Similar build up as Kelsey. Ability is evident, will be monitored and restrained by the Dugard family which is a plus. May lack size to cope with grippy tracks?

All of the above are opinions not fact.

• Like 1

I think I agree with you on this sings most likely the team with highest potential but also with the most risk

• Like 1