British Speedway Forum
Alex2000

Eastbourne 2017

Not sure I agree with the 'Win at all costs' analogy.

I get what you mean and it may seem that way sometimes but speedway is a business and has to make money and the fact is, if the team aint winning the attendance figures drop off and you lose money. People like you and me may always go whatever but there are fewer and fewr like that. Many fans are noiit interested if the team is not doing well.

So its almost the other way. Its not a case of spent the money as we must win. Its if we dont win we will lose money! so, you have to spend the money and win.

Does that make any sense at all??

Not sure I agree with the 'Win at all costs' analogy.

I get what you mean and it may seem that way sometimes but speedway is a business and has to make money and the fact is, if the team aint winning the attendance figures drop off and you lose money. People like you and me may always go whatever but there are fewer and fewr like that. Many fans are noiit interested if the team is not doing well.

So its almost the other way. Its not a case of spent the money as we must win. Its if we dont win we will lose money! so, you have to spend the money and win.

Does that make any sense at all??

Speculate to accumulate.

Seems to me that all we read about on this forum, no matter what team is being discussed, that promoters are constantly looking to change

their riders. It causes some undesirable problems such as the fact that no riders today have any loyalty to their team simply because their

management have no loyalty to them. It is the "Win at all costs" syndrome rather than to enjoy the racing and HOPE your team win rather

than condemning them if they don't.

Why should Speedway be any different to other sports. Do you think Man Utd management and fans were happy to 'enjoy the football' without getting in the top four last season. And during the summer you will see the 'all costs' to them of trying to win. Between £100 and £300 million no doubt.

All sports are much the same but just because we want to win does not mean that we disappear if they don't, at least most of us. Nearly all sport is now professional and the desire to win is what motivates the successful sportspersons regardless of whether they are Owners, Managers Supporters or Participants.

The only concession is that 'all costs' must be within the predefined rules.

It used to be the case that the majority of fans would attend, win or lose. It doesn't happen any more. People want to see a winning team.

The consensus was that if you win at home, the crowds will hold up but in the end, I think the dire away form of the Eagles away from home in the final Elite League years weighed heavily and could be seen at the gate.

It used to be the case that the majority of fans would attend, win or lose. It doesn't happen any more. People want to see a winning team.

The consensus was that if you win at home, the crowds will hold up but in the end, I think the dire away form of the Eagles away from home in the final Elite League years weighed heavily and could be seen at the gate.

I think the big problem was the lack of a star No 1 to keep us competitive away. We had Martin Dugard and then 5 years of Nicki Pedersen who had cult status. after that, one year of a fading Scott Nicholls then an odd assortment of Bridger, Watt, Bjarne and Kilmakorpi. Nothing inspiring and often bad away from home. Since dropping to the NL we regained some of the aura with BWD and Adam Ellis which is why I have been the keenest to get Jake back. Tom and Georgie are big favourites but the demands of No 1 are such that whilst we enjoy seeing the occasional surprise at home (Morley, Zach and Boxall all beaten) we cannot compete at no 1 away.

We will see on Saturday but what an ask of Tom against Bowen.

I think we have a very good all round side but we will usually be vulnerable if we don't have an 8 point lead after 12 heats away from home against the main 5 challengers for the play off.

agree with the above post, crowd gates suffer when a team are rammel, not enough diehards to go round.

I think the last hopes of the rumours being true are filtering away. But it still begs the question who has he signed for

I think the last hopes of the rumours being true are filtering away. But it still begs the question who has he signed for

I keep asking myself the same question but time is passing and I can see no logical reason why his new team has not announced him. Looking at his new bike covers I just cannot match them to any side, particularly with the Union Jack.

Perhaps Mildenhall 1965 can throw some light after his reliable source said Connor Coles had been released.

Was it just a wind up?

• Like 1

I keep asking myself the same question but time is passing and I can see no logical reason why his new team has not announced him. Looking at his new bike covers I just cannot match them to any side, particularly with the Union Jack.

Perhaps Mildenhall 1965 can throw some light after his reliable source said Connor Coles had been released.

Was it just a wind up?

I keep beginning to join the dots but then something comes up which makes it all wrong, with the new averages it's hard to see who would go. The only one you can do a straight swap for is Georgie but that would be bonkers, and not strengthen the team.

The fact he had a team wasn't but I reckon the Eastbourne return is.

Edited by Al3x200

You've all got your answer. Knight is back alongside Spooner! So presumably the hold up was due to Lakeside wanting Spooner for a weekend?? It also meant that Brennan stayed at reserve for as long as possible.

Edited by Islander15

Great news to have Jake back. Real pleased.

Obviously not sure about Spooner but we always knew we would have to do something like that to get Jake in.

Shame for Kelsey, I assume its him making way with Connor?

Double change for IT First Eagles as of 9AM Today (Thursday) the Eastbourne IT First Eagles have had to make changes to their squad.

Stepping aside will be Connor Coles and Eastbourne Asset Kelsey Dugard. Club Team Manager Connor Dugard explained "I do feel sorry for both riders especially Colesy. He hasn't put a foot wrong and he gives 110% effort wherever he goes. Unfortunately it's a numbers game and it's fair to say that Kelsey hasn't been performing particularly well. He shows glimmers of hope like when he beat Steve Boxall last week then he crashes again and again and this time he's actually injured himself and is awaiting a scan later next week to see the full extent of the damage and with average and line up changes it could mean that I would have to use MDL equivalent riders at reserve for Kelsey."

The two riders stepping in are 2016 IT First Eagles Captain and KO CUP winner Jake Knight who missed the start of the season and immediately regretted it, joining him is Alex Spooner who will take the number 6 position.

Both riders will make their debuts at Arlington on Saturday Home to Kent in the KOC second leg!

Well they made us wait again for that change, shame about Kelsey but you can see that his effort is not enough at the moment but again that may change, Connor coles has done well to up his average but again he never looked very happy at the Arlington bowl.

Cant wait to see them all at the next meeting rock and roll everyone, will jake come back as Captain?

Pre season i thought coles was a good signing, he has been very poor really. Eastie want to win trophys so changes had to be made.

The knight signing will take the pressure off baseby wood and brennan a bit