British Speedway Forum
Alex2000

Eastbourne 2017

Hopefully the eastbourne team have a spare bike still, I mean advantage is that all the riders are having their oil sponsored for them so at least he will be burning the right stuff from his engine.

Bates seems like a rider who hits a good vein of form and then gets injured.

Pretty much the norm for all speedway riders in all leagues unfortunately. Just the nature of our dangerous sport.

is there any practice this week and will bates make it. i did see he was on facebook in Florida wonder if he will get any practice before the season starts.

The joy of a couple of competitive challenge matches to start off with.

Speedway legend Lee Richardson is remembered on Good Friday when the Eastbourne Eagles begin their 2017 campaign.

The IT First Eagles take on the Lakeside Hammers home and away for the Lee Richardson Memorial Trophy.

Lee, from Hastings, rode for both clubs and lost his life in a speedway racing crash in Poland.

The meeting at the Eagles’ Arlington Stadium, just off the A22 at Hailsham, begins at 7.30ppm.

The first leg at Lakeside’s Arena Essex track, near the Dartford crossing, gets under way at 1pm.

Eastbourne will be a full strength and led by new captain Georgie Wood. Newcomer Mark Baseby takes the number one race jacket with support from Connor, Coles, Mattie Bates, Kelsey Dugard, Tom Brennan and Charley Powell.

Lakeside, who dropped to the National League this season, have a power-packed top two in Ben Morley and Zak Wajtknecht.

Support is from former Eagle David Mason, Alfie Bowtell, George Hunter and Nick Laurence. The final team member is due to be announced 24 hours before the meetings start.

IT First Eagles chairman Martin Dugard said the two Easter matches were a fitting tribute to Lee, who was loved by fans at both tracks and across Europe.

“Lee was as good as the best on his day. He was a great professional and a perfect ambassador for speedway.”

Eastbourne team manager Connor Dugard said the club had high ambitions this year and wanted to win the league, having finished second in 2015 and 2016.

“We have made it clear what the targets are and we want to get off to the best possible start by putting one over our old rivals.

“This used to be the traditional Easter fixture for both clubs and it is great to have back on the calendar.

“Our boys are ready and can’t wait to start racing.”

Great to have the speedway fix sorted must say I was covered in dust at lakeside but Eastbourne was ok - guess that's the benefit of the evening meets. Roll on the summer

Mattie Bates missing at IOW last night because of injury. Does that mean he is not at Plymouth tonight? I have heard nothing about it.

Mattie Bates missing at IOW last night because of injury. Does that mean he is not at Plymouth tonight? I have heard nothing about it.

I guess we'll find out tonight. The Dorset Echo said he missed last night with a knee injury.

What a great little rider tom brennan is,very impressed by him tonight at plymouth👍

Bates taken to hospital, hope he's ok. Great performance by the team tonight, never in doubt from heat 3 onwards, Boxall unbeatable and a class above.

Says on the club website he was taken as a precaution as he couldn't feel his toes after banging his back. Hopefully just a temporary thing, but a bit worrying for him . Speedy recovery and hope he's back soon fit and well as he's been a revelation really considering his previous lay off.

Bates is fit enough to ride tomorrow at Mildenhall, Jack Parkinson-Blackburn will guest for Connor Coles who is riding for Newcastle and Charley Powell is unavailable as he is riding grasstrack.

Hadn't seen that, great news, and a great guest.