British Speedway Forum
Alex2000

Eastbourne 2017

I remember when the Isle of Wight signed Saunders about 5 years ago. I think he rode in 1 home meeting and looked useful but then never did again.

Interesting signing by the Eagles. Wood and Powell both from grasstracking backgrounds so worth a go. Need someone at permanent reserve by the cut off. Hopefully he'll ride Saturday.

Depends on their strategy. May only use him for three league matches plus cups to preserve his 3.00 for next year like they did with Charley and Tom. As we have 10 League matches to go I would have thought home to IOW was one to miss as we should not need him. Give Matt Saul a ride.

Depends on their strategy. May only use him for three league matches plus cups to preserve his 3.00 for next year like they did with Charley and Tom. As we have 10 League matches to go I would have thought home to IOW was one to miss as we should not need him. Give Matt Saul a ride.

we dont know how good he is no reason to preserve him if he is good as he will still fit in the team bext season... ill reserve judgememt

Surely that's cheating if you pull riders out of meetings just to preserve his average for next season.We are still in July for gods sake.

we dont know how good he is no reason to preserve him if he is good as he will still fit in the team bext season... ill reserve judgememt

But if he is any good we would need to preserve him so that we could fit him into the team next season on a 3.00, not say 4, 5 or 6.

That is why Tom was only given 3 league matches last season after he turned 15, any more and his average would have been around 5.00 to start this season, using up another 2 of our valuable 39 point limit.

Tom actually rode 11 meetings but 8 were cup and play off which are not included in CMA. The same can happen with Saunders but it is all speculation because we are not party to their strategy.

Surely that's cheating if you pull riders out of meetings just to preserve his average for next season.We are still in July for gods sake.

Only really applied the last 2 or 3 years since they changed the averages to first 4 league meetings instead of rolling averages and has already been used for other clubs riders like Jordan Jenkins.

I imagine it suits the rider as well because there are only 7 weeks left to league cut off date and if rides 4 fixtures or more and gets an average in excess of 3.00 then it can well be more difficult to get a team place for his first full season.

In an attempt to maintain competitiveness the sport has become a matter of numbers with inevitable complications.

Cheating! certainly not and in the case of Saunders not 'pulled out of meetings' but no doubt arranged with him to leave out fixtures to accommodate his Grass Track meetings already committed to like Charley Powell in 2015.

• Like 1

Saunders "could" be a huge signing. a few years ago he was head and shoulders above Baseby, Wood & Powell on the grass. However track time & behind the scenes changes have limited his progression. From what i recall im not 100% sure his style will suit the shale but if he can adapt he is one hell of a motorcyclist.

so jamie bursill is still listed for saturday...

Terrific effort by Mattie Bates and Tom Brennan yesterday, totally committed. I think Jake and Georgie might have been a little too committed, unusual to see Jake fall twice but we want a team that give it their all and we certainly have one. If Saunders had been there instead of Leek we might well have still won but if's count for nothing.

My concern is the run-in, if Mark Baseby has broken his arm his season is probably over. As I understand it we have to use r/r every match unless a second rider is missing. That is pretty harsh when you lose your 2nd best heat leader first match after the re-declaration date. We shall be relying on Mattie for the rest of the season so they had better make sure his equipment does not let him down which has been his problem in the past.

They should already be pretty safe for play off qualification and the way Saunders went on Saturday he could play an important part so all is not lost, just more 'challenging'.

If Baseby is ruled out its a big concern for Eastbourne as his form both home & away has been excellent for Eastbourne coupled with a poor weekend for Wood and things could look troubling but the promotion are smart enough to deal with it. However RR for Baseby means everyone can take one of his rides including Knight or Powell will get a lot busier outside of Speedway meaning RR for him & Mr Ayres guesting a lot.

Georgie is looking good when motoring but mechanical problems at both weekend meetings which I am sure Martin Dugard will address during the next 3 week break.

No speedway again until the 26th and then probably a packed September/October?

I thought injuries meant you could bring someone in? That used to be the rule even after the cut off i thought... which brings me on to joe jacobs whats his average is it still 8.6 something

I thought injuries meant you could bring someone in? That used to be the rule even after the cut off i thought... which brings me on to joe jacobs whats his average is it still 8.6 something

As I understand it the cut off is only the late September date for completed matches to determine the play off competitors. At the last main AGM there was a new rule introduced stating that there could be no re- declarations after July 31st . (I believe this was to stop some of the former Elite short term manipulations for the play off's Hancock/Poole, Woffendon/Wolves Etc.

I don't recall any announcement relating to the NL but I think they are operating to it. Jayne at Buxton will know more than me so she might give us an informed answer if we ask her kindly.