British Speedway Forum
Alex2000

Eastbourne 2017

Playing devils advocate here but at this stage of the season why is the NL meeting more important? Wouldn't Eastbourne take satisfaction out of knocking their local rivals out of a trophy competition that if the result goes Kent's way at Arlington then they'll probably win the whole thing. Plus seeing as Eastbourne will make the play-offs regardless of the league fixture result and if they slip up and Kent make the play-offs too it could make for 2 very attractive meetings!

I suppose one they have a chance of winning, the other no chance, but I'm sure Eastie won't want to lose their unbeaten home record this year especially to Kent even if it's in the NT.

• Like 1

The NT match is now the 26th Aug, with the NL one as you say on the 16th Sept.They always try to avoid double headers if possible,and as its a bank holiday weekend wonder if Eastie have any grass track clashes with some of their riders,hence leaving the more important league match to the 16th when they have a full team.

Well it looks like they will have no choice but a double header because they are riding every Saturday from next week until cut off date which I believe is Sept 25th. We still have to fit in the rained off fixture with IOW. It seemed logic to me to make it Kent for the obvious reasons rather than two different teams. The only reserved date is Sept 30th if they extend the deadline but if that fixture is not met in time it could make the difference between finishing 1st or 2nd and having choice of Semi opponents.

Well it looks like they will have no choice but a double header because they are riding every Saturday from next week until cut off date which I believe is Sept 25th. We still have to fit in the rained off fixture with IOW. It seemed logic to me to make it Kent for the obvious reasons rather than two different teams. The only reserved date is Sept 30th if they extend the deadline but if that fixture is not met in time it could make the difference between finishing 1st or 2nd and having choice of Semi opponents.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Isle of Wight fixture at the end of October when the play-offs and cups are done.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Isle of Wight fixture at the end of October when the play-offs and cups are done.

You could be right, I still think BV will come top anyway, so wouldn't make any difference if Eastie come 2nd/3rd or 4th, as BV will probably not pick us in the semi's anyway.

It still annoys me every year that we get to this point and already are worrying about getting fixtures in having had so few over the summer. Got all the KO cup fixtures, playoffs to fit in, only takes a wet September/October, and we'll be keeping fingers crossed that the 31st October is dry.

You could be right, I still think BV will come top anyway, so wouldn't make any difference if Eastie come 2nd/3rd or 4th, as BV will probably not pick us in the semi's anyway.

It still annoys me every year that we get to this point and already are worrying about getting fixtures in having had so few over the summer. Got all the KO cup fixtures, playoffs to fit in, only takes a wet September/October, and we'll be keeping fingers crossed that the 31st October is dry.

It annoys me as well but lots of clubs end up in the same situation every year! Yet others never do.

Two Saturdays are ruled out in August because of stocks cars at the stadium.

Also, you wouldn't want to run on the third Saturday of the month because it is Eastbourne air show today. Chaos across a wide area around the resort this morning and will be even worse when it ends.

Such traffic jams would put people off from going to speedway and many fans could well be down at the seafront, in any case.

Two Saturdays are ruled out in August because of stocks cars at the stadium.

Also, you wouldn't want to run on the third Saturday of the month because it is Eastbourne air show today. Chaos across a wide area around the resort this morning and will be even worse when it ends.

Such traffic jams would put people off from going to speedway and many fans could well be down at the seafront, in any case.

Use an occasional Sunday?

So why where not the Good Friday challenges against Lakeside League Matches? They often were in the Elite days.

Stock cars have always been there and in Elite days they had either 14 or 16 home matches plus a KO Cup or two before the end of September.

This year we have only 10 NL plus 2 NT and 1KO over the same period.

• Like 1

Use an occasional Sunday?

In August, there is a limit to Sundays. Doubt you would get the place turned round from stox on Saturday night and air show runs on Sunday as well.

Our first home league match was April 29th, so the potential problem really starts at that point, would have thought we could have got in a couple of league matches by that time which would help the situation later on in the season, the weather was pretty good in April as well if I remember correctly.

• Like 2

Our first home league match was April 29th, so the potential problem really starts at that point, would have thought we could have got in a couple of league matches by that time which would help the situation later on in the season, the weather was pretty good in April as well if I remember correctly.

I wonder if its to do with crowds. I never miss a home match if I can help it but certainly remember some cold March matches with not much of a turn out, wishing I was at home!!

I wonder if its to do with crowds. I never miss a home match if I can help it but certainly remember some cold March matches with not much of a turn out, wishing I was at home!!

Whimp!!! Nothing that a warm coat and a hip flask wouldn't combat!

Whimp!!! Nothing that a warm coat and a hip flask wouldn't combat!

I have the warm coat but unless the hop flask has coffee in it, I have the drive home to consider.