British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sandman

changes good and bad

Dont mean to take up too much space with my waffling, but was wondering what people view as good and bad changes to the sport in the last few decades. For example, even though they are a necessity, silencers are a downer, as are dirt deflectors. Not touching the tapes, and the general tightening up of all rules. Speedway used to be a pleasure for the working class, have the riders distanced themselves too much from the supporters? I remember Bob Kilby being a part of the whole and even buying everyone a round of drinks in the bar after a good night. Every one of the riders driving Cortinas or similar with bike racks. I know this goes back some but would be interested in everyones opinions. The sport has progressed tremendously, so much faster, so much colour and a bit of glamour, but wonder if there is anyway to improve on it. Thanks, Sandman

get standardised dirt deflectors for a start instead of having to pay a bomb load for a Briggo one!

Good call Nora.... £150 just for a Briggo deflector is ridiculous.

Bad changes a few years ago was when they were trying to slow things down and kept changing the type of silencer and the carb sizes.

When I first bought a bike I could use a 38mm carb, then the rule was changed to 36mm and then 34mm. Carbs are not cheap.

Another thing was tyres. We had Pirelli tyres and a few had Dunlop.

I used to buy my Dunlop from Bob Humphreys for a couple of quid after he had done a couple of rides on each side, then Briggo (who else?!) started getting the Carlisle tyres from America that were meant to be the muts nuts, but they were so expensive. I think someone in the Control Board must have got jealous as we then had the rule where everyone had to use Barum

are you saying the regs now are for 36mm carbs??

nope now its 34mm, it seems north of the border this information has yet to filter through tho.

I just don't think there is enough dirt on the tracks now. It seems to me that as the bikes have got faster and faster, the tracks have got slicker and slicker.

And as a result, too many tracks have just one racing line making it very difficult to pass.

nope now its 34mm, it seems north of the border this information has yet to filter through tho.

Just what do you mean by that comment Nora :?:

Just what do you mean by that comment Nora :?:

dunno, maybes someone should check the machinery of some of the Berwick lads more carefully.

it seems north of the border this information has yet to filter through tho.

maybes someone should check the machinery of some of the Berwick lads more carefully

Berwick, north of the border?

it seems north of the border this information has yet to filter through tho.

maybes someone should check the machinery of some of the Berwick lads more carefully

Nope it's in Northumberland - maybe it's just a problem in tracks located in this English county :P

Returning to the thread, one very good thing has been the introduction of air fences in modern times - anything that improves rider safety without detracting from the spectacle deserves praise.

And a very nice place it is too. Stayed at Alnwick last year so did quite a bit of touring round Northumberland, even made it to Edinburgh and Newcastle as well as Berwick.

False dawn.....You'll have to excuse Nora Batty, poor old gal, because her life just revolves around a ten mile radius of Newcastle. :D

I just don't think there is enough dirt on the tracks now. It seems to me that as the bikes have got faster and faster, the tracks have got slicker and slicker.

And as a result, too many tracks have just one racing line making it very difficult to pass.

Totally agree with that. I think back to the 50's on J.A.P. bikes with 35 to 40 horsepower, and trying to race on deep tracks with 22" rear wheels, no wonder they had big handlebars. New safety fences great too, rather hit one of those than a chain link with light stands.

sandman: Set "Always allow BBCode:" to Yes in your profile and the quotes will appear as you expect.

never mentioned any good things previously.... but if you're talking about safety, the cut-out was a good thing.

used to see the bikes do an extra half lap with no rider but the cut-outs soon stopped that