British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sandman

changes good and bad

Sorry I messed up the reply text, am new to all this. Sandman

The best things have already been mentioned, touching the tapes rule, air fences, dirt deflectors, cut outs, etc., but the riders themselves look so much better these days with all the colourful kevlars and team suits.

Most riders years ago just wore black leathers, with a few notable exceptions like The White Ghost, Red Devil, Little Boy Blue which made them stand out from the rest.

Sandman...Don't worry about messing up the quotes. You will soon get used to everything.

Welcome to the forum. You have done some very interesting postings so far. Well done. :D

Thanks Gemini, I seem to catch most of my speedway on television now, and my first impression was how fast it has gotten. These fellows just fly. However, with the advent of the little handlebars everyone tends to have the same style. It is almost as if everyone tried to copy Shawn Moran. The problem is Shawn was 5'3 or 5'4 so he made it work. Before even if Ole Olsen was covered in mud you could tell it was him. I also think with the horsepower available now they would have no problem with lots of dirt. Case in point, World Team Cup at Peterbourgh. Heavy deep track, I guess thanks to rain, and some of the best ever racing I have ever seen. I dont mean to sound crass because I have a deep respect for all riders past and present, those little bars make them... how do I say it... Monkey up on the bikes. Sandman P.S That is why I like Long Track, poetry in motion man!

it seems north of the border this information has yet to filter through tho.

maybes someone should check the machinery of some of the Berwick lads more carefully

Berwick, north of the border?

Berwick is where the trend begins - then it moves further north...

Nope it's in Northumberland - maybe it's just a problem in tracks located in this English county :P

Returning to the thread, one very good thing has been the introduction of air fences in modern times - anything that improves rider safety without detracting from the spectacle deserves praise.

If people from Berwick don't want to be Scottish, then why do they put on those obviously fake Scottish Accents - is it just one huge joke to them?

Really dont mean to change the subject, but since we are hours away from war, wouldnt it be better to have a test match instead, say Saddams 7 versus Rest of the World? Pray for our troops, Sandman

Am getting ready to sign off, but got to thinking I know of no other sport where so many over the years have been injured, crippled and killed. These new crashwalls are such a blessing and wonder why it hasnt been thought of before. So refreshing, even though it is all a part of racing, and the risks will always be there, to know there are still forward thinkers out there. Good night..... Sandman

Nope it's in Northumberland - maybe it's just a problem in tracks located in this English county :P

Returning to the thread, one very good thing has been the introduction of air fences in modern times - anything that improves rider safety without detracting from the spectacle deserves praise.

If people from Berwick don't want to be Scottish, then why do they put on those obviously fake Scottish Accents - is it just one huge joke to them?

And here was me thinking that Geordies all sounded like they came from Berwick :P