Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Comet Dan

Workington 2017

Agree ...

The only difference is all those riders have been at a higher level than Mason ... so a dropped average for those boys is more understandable given they have Heat 13 and 15 to deal with. Mason has yet to reach those levels yet ... which I think is where a lot of worry comes in.

Yep me too ... I'm glad the Comets mgt are persevering and speedway is "on" again ... just waiting for the season to start now ... I can almost smell the bikes ha ha ha ha

Agree ...

The only difference is all those riders have been at a higher level than Mason ... so a dropped average for those boys is more understandable given they have Heat 13 and 15 to deal with. Mason has yet to reach those levels yet ... which I think is where a lot of worry comes in.

Yep me too ... I'm glad the Comets mgt are persevering and speedway is "on" again ... just waiting for the season to start now ... I can almost smell the bikes ha ha ha ha

Something tells me that Mason Campton has in fact spent less time at reserve than Hansen has in Comets colours. Hansen has been riding for years and 10x the experience of Mason. But yet he was the biggest let down in Comets colours last year.

You have to remember Campton has had the Visa issues haven't helped meaning he has only had 3 full seasons in England (spending only 1 month at reserve at Glasgow and 2 meetings for Workington).

What did Roynon do last year that Campton didn't? I don't believe Roynon performed well. If Campton was poor all year, Roynon would have been in the main team much earlier, giving Campton time to build his confidence. But it didn't happen and nobody questions him. Think it's very harsh on Campton.

I could well be wrong on this ... I don't remember Hansen ever being in a reserve birth for Comets? Apologies if this is not the case.

With the level of injuries sustained by Roynon ... I think it's incredible he rides at all ... can't knock that

I could well be wrong on this ... I don't remember Hansen ever being in a reserve birth for Comets? Apologies if this is not the case.

With the level of injuries sustained by Roynon ... I think it's incredible he rides at all ... can't knock that

2015 he rode at reserve in June after many abysmal performances the same as 2016 although the didn't go to reserve.

Yes I do agree with you there but you have to remember Campton broke his collarbone in the first meeting and rode through the pain barrier while it was still broken. Roynon should not be judged any different.

I think Kong is right about making a comparison between Roynon and Campton and Campton getting all the flak is unfair.

I totally agree that it id remarkable that Roynon still rides but, in picking a successful team, that cannot be a relevant factor. A club that chooses its team members on a sympathy vote is headed for the bottom of the league.

Not that Workington have done that. However, in my view, there is as much pressure on Roynon to perform as Campton and, indeed, I think they hold the key to Comets success or failure this season.

• Like 1

That's bang on HT ... Roynon and Campton as 4th and 5th average classified riders in the Comets line up ... they do hold the key to Comets success or failure this season for sure.

nice bit of debating from you guys . a change from all the p== you normally read about workington . looking forward to the Cumberland sausage as well ..

What about being positive you still have speedway not to mention cc and tj

• Like 4

people will always find a negative , even if their teams were filled with the top riders . as you say , we are happy we are running and we have managed to pinch tj away from berwick .

i have to say , berwick look really useful and will surprise a few so called great teams. everything looks good at berwick with the new guys in . hope you have a good season, but worky have a great season .lol.

• Like 1

people will always find a negative , even if their teams were filled with the top riders . as you say , we are happy we are running and we have managed to pinch tj away from berwick .

i have to say , berwick look really useful and will surprise a few so called great teams. everything looks good at berwick with the new guys in . hope you have a good season, but worky have a great season .lol.

So no money running out comment for Berwick or do you just save that for us frequently. Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

do berwick have money to start with ?

i dont SAVE the money running out comment for anyone , its first come , first served lol.

• Like 1

You'r right about the optimism at Berwick, Scott Courtney was like a breath of fresh air last year, bringing a lot of enthusiasm to the team as manager and hopefully that will continue now he is promoter.

As for Workington, if I was a fan I would think of a few things to look forward to this season. Firstly you have one of, if not the, top rider in the league. Then you have TJ, who I would really liked to have seen back at Berwick. You want entertainment, you'll get it with him. You also have a very decent set of reserves. Williamson will improve and Shuttleworth is a non-stop trier.

It won't make many headlines, but the deal the promotion done in the off season with the landlords regarding getting income from food and drink sales will also bring in a lot more income. It won't make a difference on the track but it will give the promotion more financial security and hopefully ease worries about the future.

• Like 2

You have to remember Campton has had the Visa issues haven't helped meaning he has only had 3 full seasons in England (spending only 1 month at reserve at Glasgow and 2 meetings for Workington).

FYI, Glasgow is NOT in England and never has been. If you look at your school atlas, you'll see a line from Gretna across to Berwick. England is the bit below that line. But keep sending us more than our share of UK tax revenues !!

FYI, Glasgow is NOT in England and never has been. If you look at your school atlas, you'll see a line from Gretna across to Berwick. England is the bit below that line. But keep sending us more than our share of UK tax revenues !!

but not for long if sturgeon gets her way !

B.N.F.L. is not the initials of British nuclear fuels ltd , its But Not For Long .

you hang on to those English lads , one day they MAY win you the league L.O.L.

maybe donald trump could let us use the blueprint of the wall he is threatening to build BIGGER LOL,S

all in good fun .

Edited by jenga

You'r right about the optimism at Berwick, Scott Courtney was like a breath of fresh air last year, bringing a lot of enthusiasm to the team as manager and hopefully that will continue now he is promoter.

As for Workington, if I was a fan I would think of a few things to look forward to this season. Firstly you have one of, if not the, top rider in the league. Then you have TJ, who I would really liked to have seen back at Berwick. You want entertainment, you'll get it with him. You also have a very decent set of reserves. Williamson will improve and Shuttleworth is a non-stop trier.

It won't make many headlines, but the deal the promotion done in the off season with the landlords regarding getting income from food and drink sales will also bring in a lot more income. It won't make a difference on the track but it will give the promotion more financial security and hopefully ease worries about the future.

genrally i agree with what you say

but not for 1 minute do i think the income from the cattering will be a lot of money

yes maybe a few hundred quid now and then and also doing the catering for the rugby wil also bring in a few quid but cant see it being big money