Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Knightime

British Based Polish League Team?

Most people seem to be assuming you'd go straight into the Polish EL. Good luck. You'd have to start in the lower leagues and gain promotion. So in that respect it would be a nice trial as you would slowly build up, there second division is probably EL (as in old EL, not new Premiership) levels and then if you won that you could apply for their EL.

I wonder what the cost are of the Polish 2nd division? Looking at the difference in teams somewhere between not a lot and an awful lot seems to be the case! If you need 4 Brits though, it could be bloody expensive as the top 4 Brit know they can demand what they like. You would need Woffy in your team really, and he'd know it. Imagine having to go into a Polish EL meeting with 4 Brits other than Woffy, Lambert I'm sure would cope in the next year or two but after that? Harris, Nicholls, King, Bridger and Cook have all failed in the EL or are too old these days.

Most people seem to be assuming you'd go straight into the Polish EL. Good luck. You'd have to start in the lower leagues and gain promotion. So in that respect it would be a nice trial as you would slowly build up, there second division is probably EL (as in old EL, not new Premiership) levels and then if you won that you could apply for their EL.

I wonder what the cost are of the Polish 2nd division? Looking at the difference in teams somewhere between not a lot and an awful lot seems to be the case! If you need 4 Brits though, it could be bloody expensive as the top 4 Brit know they can demand what they like. You would need Woffy in your team really, and he'd know it. Imagine having to go into a Polish EL meeting with 4 Brits other than Woffy, Lambert I'm sure would cope in the next year or two but after that? Harris, Nicholls, King, Bridger and Cook have all failed in the EL or are too old these days.

It would be 4 Poles - on account of it being the Polish league :-)

There are many foreign clubs in Second League. I don't believe they have the same rule of 4 Polish riders?

I don't see how the BSPA can stop you affiliating with the Polish league. Would be naff all to do with them.

It is a rival to the BSPAs own leagues.They ain't going to allow that,just like they weren't going to allow someone to set up their own speedway series or allow someone to run pirate meetings.They just threaten any riders who ride to ban them from BSPA tracks etc

It is a bit different to Daugavpils,Debrecen or Prague who don't have a league or not one of any real worth entering.

Even if it was worth entering PZM/Ektrasliga would have to amend their own rules to allow it to happen, as otherwise any 'British' based team would be restricted to the Polish lower divisions.

After all, Daugavpils have won the lower league for the last two season but have been denied promotion, as to ride in the top league, you have to be based inside Poland's territorial borders and employ a minimum number of Polish riders. The latter would defeat the point of entering the league as a means of developing British talent.

Edited by moomin man 76
  • Like 1

Apart from anything else,Brexit might make it unlikely for a non-EU team to compete within th EU.But i don't think it would be allowed anyway

I definately think we need a Champions League of teams of similar strength. It may be tough to do that with the difference in leagues, not to mention riders who race for two teams. But you could have two groups of four, with 2 from Poland & Sweden and perhaps 1 from UK, Denmark, Czech and Germany. Semi Finals for Top 2 and a grand final in Torun day after the GP. It could be a cool thing!

It's interesting as it is possibly the only way you'd get British based immigrant Polish speedway fans going through the turnstiles here.

Our own domestic league doesn't bring them out.

I interview hundreds of Poles that have come to the UK for work, I always mention speedway, and nearly always get the same blank look I do from most Brits I interview for work!!!!!

"All Poles Love Speedway"

Huge Myth!!

• Like 3

It would be 4 Brits. Daugavplis have to have 4 Latvians. I believe the rule is 4 local riders.

It is a rival to the BSPAs own leagues.They ain't going to allow that,just like they weren't going to allow someone to set up their own speedway series or allow someone to run pirate meetings.They just threaten any riders who ride to ban them from BSPA tracks etc

It is a bit different to Daugavpils,Debrecen or Prague who don't have a league or not one of any real worth entering.

But the PZM is not a pirate competition, the PZM is affiliated to the FIM. The issue with pirate competitions is you can refuse to employ riders competing in it, good luck to the SCB/ACU/BSPA banning anyone riding in PZM meetings :D

I don't see how the BSPA can stop you affiliating with the Polish league. Would be naff all to do with them.

But they can stop a team riding in the UK because they hold the cards for all speedway in the UK.

Both partly right and both partly wrong...the BSPA's sole remit is the running of the leagues in the UK, on behalf of the SCB who in turn answer to the ACU who are affiliated to the FIM. AS ARE the PZM!

So the BSPA would be powerless but on the other hand the BSPA plus some referees plus one or two others make up the SCB, so it's a matter of off with one cap, and on with another, but it's pretty much the same people. So you can be pretty sure that the SCB will put the blockers on any such idea.

If the SCB put the blockers on, then it won't be recognised internationally by the FIM, so therefore the PZM, who also answer to the FIM, will be stuffed.

I disagree. Fans would travel to see Pedersen, Hancock, Sayfutdinov etc riding in the UK. I think the biggest challenge would be persuading the Polish teams to travel to England with all the equipment to race here.

They would, but promotions would be charging something in the region of £25 to make it pay.

But the PZM is not a pirate competition, the PZM is affiliated to the FIM. The issue with pirate competitions is you can refuse to employ riders competing in it, good luck to the SCB/ACU/BSPA banning anyone riding in PZM meetings :D

But this is exactly what the PZM want to do this season.That is ban riders who ride in too many leagues.It is what the British League done in the past by banning anyone who rode in the Swedish League.As i said if the BSPA aren't happy with the competition then they go to the FIM and tell them so and it wouldn't be allowed.You can't just open up and start an opposing competition without the home associations agreement.And why would the PZM want something like this?Nothing in it for them really.Why would the BSPA want something like this?Takes away from their own competitions.A no go.Just another wacky fan idea