British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

West Ham Stadium Street Signs

I've just read an article on the speedway plus website about newham council erecting new street signs commemorating the site of west ham stadium. Not only is there detailed signs of the hammers riders, but also a wall plaque devoted to the stadium itself. Seeing as custom house is still my all time favourite track, I think the council deserve a big pat on the back for not forgetting their heritage.

• Like 5

I agree with you cityrebel. I always recall going to West Ham in 1967- I was working a summer job in Basildon. Every Tuesday I would go from Laindon station to Barking and then on to Plaistow. I would have a Wimpy's near Plaistow station(or maybe Barking) then would walk down to Custom House to save the bus fare. As I remember I would go down Plaistow High Street , then Greengate Street and then Prince Regents Lane. I had a buddy who lived in Gwendoline Ave(off Harold Road) near Plaistow station. Great people (Bill Fullick and family)-true cockneys who lived in tough circumstances(don't we all)!! Many years later after the demolition of the stadium , and for old times sake, did the trip to Plaistow and then the walk I always remembered. Could have been a mistake-the demographics of the neighbourhood had changed unbelievably-feral youths hanging about-felt most uncomfortable.-walked on down to Victoria Dock Road(I think) then caught a bus to the DLR station and then back to West End.

After this trip felt quite depressed-where did all the working class families go, the salt of the earth East Enders. The history of the East End has gone, so I'm glad the roads have been detailed to commemorate West Ham speedway. Maybe we should bring back the Kray brothers to sort it all out(just kiddin' folks)

• Like 5

Absolutely spot on about changing London's East End. In their younger days my grandparents lived on the Isle Of Dogs. Total poverty and a desperate struggle to get off the Island, but nevertheless a strong close-knit community. Look at Docklands now...a soul-less monument to greed and avarice.

• Like 3

They do deserve a pat on the back from the 'heritage' perspective but how about them ever honouring the commitment Newham made as a council back in the very early ['70s to find land for a replacement Speedway track in the borough (which I understand they made when allowing the redevelopment of the Custom House Stadium..?

Ironically all their problems and surely soon to grow in terms of expense, supporting WHUFC's move to the Olympic Park could have been saved if they'd allowed Speedway (which is infinitely more suited to the space) to take place in the OS..

• Like 2

Custom house stadium was doomed the day midland sports stadiums sold it to the GRA in 1966, to finance the new grandstand at brandon. I was very fortunate to see speedway at west ham, my first visit was in May 1970. Thanks to my old man I got to see 17 meetings at custom house, including the last ever.

Custom house stadium was doomed the day midland sports stadiums sold it to the GRA in 1966, to finance the new grandstand at brandon. I was very fortunate to see speedway at west ham, my first visit was in May 1970. Thanks to my old man I got to see 17 meetings at custom house, including the last ever.

...who, if I'm correct, also sold Blackbird Road to developers to upgrade Brandon.

West Ham was a great track and a great stadium. Fortunately I went to their first meeting of the re-opening in 1964 and then went practically every week until the last meeting in 1971. I have very happy memories of Tuesday evenings in the East End. And, yes, Newham are to be applauded in their enterprise in remembering speedway and what it meant to the area.

• Like 1

West Ham was a great track and a great stadium. Fortunately I went to their first meeting of the re-opening in 1964 and then went practically every week until the last meeting in 1971. I have very happy memories of Tuesday evenings in the East End. And, yes, Newham are to be applauded in their enterprise in remembering speedway and what it meant to the area.

I think of all the tracks I would have liked to have visited but didn't would have been Custom House. It closed the year I started gong to speedway.

Other tracks would have included New Cross, Southampton and Norwich.

It's a pity we never met and got talking Norbold. We would have got on famously.