British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pete cc

National Development League Agm

Why so long.?

Sorry,that sounds like a Chinaman.

Maybe to give Bv, and Lakeside time to sort themselves out..

Have the agm and invite Lakeside and BV, then give them a date (say Dec 31st) to declare thier intentions to run. I am sure the same facility was offered to IOW between 2013 and 2014 when air fences became mandatory.

Maybe to give Bv, and Lakeside time to sort themselves out..

Whilst every opportunity has to be given to bring both sides to the tapes in 2017, you can't make the other clubs sit in limbo waiting for them.

• Like 1

Have the agm and invite Lakeside and BV, then give them a date (say Dec 31st) to declare thier intentions to run. I am sure the same facility was offered to IOW between 2013 and 2014 when air fences became mandatory.

Whilst every opportunity has to be given to bring both sides to the tapes in 2017, you can't make the other clubs sit in limbo waiting for them.

Whilst i understand where you are coming from especially if Clubs want to sell season tickets prior to christmas, the problem could be would the Points building limit be the same for Example 10 Teams, as if the League has 12 Teams, i mean that is a 14 rider difference, and last season Teams were struggling to find available riders..

• Like 1

Whilst i understand where you are coming from especially if Clubs want to sell season tickets prior to christmas, the problem could be would the Points building limit be the same for Example 10 Teams, as if the League has 12 Teams, i mean that is a 14 rider difference, and last season Teams were struggling to find available riders..

I think the main problem is when riders get injured that there's such a scarce number of Ryder's that don't get team places at the start of the season, that if a heat leader gets injured then it's very difficult to replace him. It's not like the upper leagues when they can recruit a random foreigner or gamble on someone who's doing well in the lower league.

Last time it went into the 30's the league suffered imo and also there were many riders without a club that year that have faded away from the sport.

A 40-42 (40 being my choice for 2017) window allows higher average riders to stay in the league, whilst also pushing the top boys up and making room at the bottom for the next generation.

The key is the NL is meant to be a development league and therefore the rules should be encouraging teams to have more young riders and not fill up with experience in order to win the title.

you need some experienced riders to pass on knowledge to the young ones.

A low team average encourages development of the younger riders.

Leave it at 40, seems to be a fair figure to build to. Ideally should have been set for 2 years at least last year then you'd have none of the waiting for the agm to start serious team building.

The key is the NL is meant to be a development league and therefore the rules should be encouraging teams to have more young riders and not fill up with experience in order to win the title.

Quite right. How about some kind of weighting on the averages, so that a rider gets a 10% "discount" on his average for every year that they are under 20 and a 5% premium for every year that they are over 21?

Thus a 16 year old rider with a 6.00 average is discounted by 40% (= average of 3.6 for team building purposes) whereas a 28 year old rider with a 6.00 average would be loaded by 35% (= 8.10 for team building purposes) And if the"oldies" don't like it, then they can look for a bargain basement place in the Championship with the other big boys. The NL needs to move away from being a retirement home for the under achievers, and focus on being a nurturing ground for the young and aspirational.

• Like 1

Wouldn't that make Tony Atkin's average 7.16 x 2.45 = 17.54

• Like 1

Quite right. How about some kind of weighting on the averages, so that a rider gets a 10% "discount" on his average for every year that they are under 20 and a 5% premium for every year that they are over 21?

Thus a 16 year old rider with a 6.00 average is discounted by 40% (= average of 3.6 for team building purposes) whereas a 28 year old rider with a 6.00 average would be loaded by 35% (= 8.10 for team building purposes) And if the"oldies" don't like it, then they can look for a bargain basement place in the Championship with the other big boys. The NL needs to move away from being a retirement home for the under achievers, and focus on being a nurturing ground for the young and aspirational.

You come out with some stuff... So JPB should be on a 4 point average 'because he's young' and Ayres should've been saddled with a 7 point average in his second season (when he actually started on 4.24) because he's not so young. Then the likes of Atkin, Bowen and Wilson should all be on 12 point averages leaving teams with no number 1 because they can't fit them in under the points limit!