British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pete cc

National Development League Agm

Yes, I thought that was a bit handy!

Hopefully, the Buxton v Stoke meeting can also be used to decide the Air-fence Challenge or whatever it might be called this year.

There are only so many times that you can watch repeats of repeats.

Instead of pointless challenges put on an individual meeting that includes some of the young hopefuls and mix it all up a bit.

Throw in a veterans race and some old skool stuff and I' d pay a couple of quid to watch that!

not sure that can happen can it ? surely the idea is that all the money goes to a new or up-keep of the old fence. riders ride for nothing as they benefit from it , can't see that happening in a lge or cup meeting. i like the individual idea as i've got a dvd of tony atkin winning the afc from buxton from a few years ago so jayne has done that before , perhaps it didn't make the same amount as a home & away friendly .

not sure that can happen can it ? surely the idea is that all the money goes to a new or up-keep of the old fence. riders ride for nothing as they benefit from it , can't see that happening in a lge or cup meeting. i like the individual idea as i've got a dvd of tony atkin winning the afc from buxton from a few years ago so jayne has done that before , perhaps it didn't make the same amount as a home & away friendly .

I hear what you are saying.

But surely, there must be variations to a theme?

I think sometimes supporters might like to see something a bit different either in the way of riders, machines or format.

Perhaps one element could be an Oldies v Young 'uns challenge

I know at the velodrome, they sometimes used to put a team of Talent Team youngsters up against the old hands and it was pretty good entertainment.

How about putting an Academy Team up against some more experienced riders?

Surely, that would be good experience for them.

Sometimes, I do wonder if speedway needs to think a little bit more out of the box and not just plonk for the same old format every single time.

• Like 1

From the SGB website:

THE draw has been made for the 2017 National League Knockout Cup:

Round 1:
Coventry-Belle Vue v Lakeside
Plymouth v Isle of Wight
Eastbourne v Kent
Stoke v Buxton

Round 2:
Coventry-Belle Vue/Lakeside v Cradley
Mildenhall v Stoke/Buxton
Plymouth/Isle of Wight v Birmingham
Eastbourne/Kent v King’s Lynn

Groups have also been made for the 2017 National Trophy:

Group 1: Eastbourne, Kent, Mildenhall
Group 2: Isle of Wight, Plymouth, Swindon

Just a thought: is the use of the word DEVELOPMENT in the league title a handicap rather than of benefit? I used the title when chatting with a National sports journalist the other day and we briefly mentioned speedway. I refreshed him on the structure for the two top sections, then added a third as the National DEVELOPMENT League.

He felt the title reflected that the competition was just a training league and not REAL speedway. I impressed on him that was not the case but don't think he really accepted my view.

​Refresh my memory anyway: why is the competition known as the National DEVELOPMENT League? The title perhaps does reflect it is not mainstream speedway but just a training competition - and we all know that view is far from being accurate.

Very valid point although i do not envy the task of explaining the sport to an outsider at any level.

How could you possibly differentiate between the National development League & the Midland Development league and reflect the genuine differences?

The National Induction League? Although that doesn't always apply as the likes of Bewley / Bickley are being offered immediate berths in the higher leagues. Ultimately its only a matter of time before a new rider bypasses the NL altogether.

Agree with gustix, when telling new folk about speedway I just refer to us as the National League or third tier ( although with so much doubling up it is hard to argue that there is 2 tiers above it anyway)

No-one uses the word 'development' anyway, other than the regulations & Kent PR. It may as well just be dropped and referred to as the NL.

Even on their website the SGB only refers to - correctly IMO and according to the quotes - the competition as the NATIONAL LEAGUE.

http://www.speedwaygb.co

​Study of the quotes will show that I was very much against using the word DEVELOPMENT in the title for the National League. Indeed I was delighted when subsequent comments late indicated that the league would in future be known as just the National League.

However, comment elsewhere now indicates that DEVELOPMENT should continue to be used in the league's description. To outsiders the description NATIONAL LEAGUE indicates the league as being a competition embracing the highest structures in the sport where it is involved.

Sadly, the current National League is far from that. It is by its own admission restricted largely to the development of young riders for their later involvement in higher rated leagues. That confirms it as being basically a training league and far from being a competition similar to the original National League in which many of speedway's most famous international stars competed.

The original league featured just to name a few greats like Ove Fundin, Jack Parker, Vic Duggan, Ronnie Moore and many others. The present competition is far from equal to that class. So, let's again revert to the current competition's real description as the National Development League.

Edited by Guest

​Study of the quotes will show that I was very much against using the word DEVELOPMENT in the title for the National League. Indeed I was delighted when subsequent comments late indicated that the league would in future be known as just the National League.

However, comment elsewhere now indicates that DEVELOPMENT should continue to be used in the league's description. To outsiders the description NATIONAL LEAGUE indicates the league as being a competition embracing the highest structures in the sport where it is involved.

Sadly, the current National League is far from that. It is by its own admission restricted largely to the development of young riders for their later involvement in higher rated leagues. That confirms it as being basically a training league and far from being a competition similar to to the original National League in which many of speedway's most famous international stars competed.

The original league featured just to name a few greats like Ove Fundin, Jack Parker, Vc Duggan, Ronnie Moore and many others. The present competition is far from equal to that class. So, let's again revert to the current competition's real description as the National Development League.

Clueless...totally clueless.

• Like 1

Just had a look at the teams in the Football League Division One....Scunthorpe United, Fleetwood Town, Milton Keynes Dons.....surely there are better teams in England than those?

Remember when Stanley Matthews and Tom Finney played in Football League Division One? They played for the top teams not lowly teams like MK Dons and Scunthorpe.

Football has really gone downhill.... In those days we had Manchester United, Tottenham, Arsenal in League division one.....now we have Fleetwood and MK in league one.....terrible.

Oh no, of course....I'm jesting

No one would be stupid enough to confuse the Football League division one (top flight) of Matthews' and Finney's day with the League one (third division) of today, no more than anyone would be stupid enough to confuse the Speedway National League of 1950s (top league) with the Speedway National League of today (third division).... would they?

You'd have to be pretty dim not to know that the division one in Football that Matthews and Finney played in is now called the Premier League, and the National League in Speedway that Fundin and Duggan rode in in now called the Premiership.

Edited by John Leslie
  • Like 1

I'll be fair to the National Development League. I would grade it as being comparable to the old Southern Area League of the 1950s which developed many riders who went on to better things with major clubs in the sport.

Among these were Mike Broadbank, Ivan Mauger, Alby Golden, Bob Andrews, Jimmy Heard, Ernie Lessiter, Brian Brett, Colin Pratt, Gerry King, Al Sparrey, Vic Ridgeon to name a few. There were more.

Edited by Guest