British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moomin man 76

Cradley Heathens 2017

Not sure on the tariff but clubs get fined for uncompleted fixtures.

£5 per meeting perhaps? Bear in mind that the head honcho of the BSPA will have to fine himself this time too.

Well, they must be expecting the fans to stay loyal to them because I notice that on the British Speedway Propaganda Association website thingy, it says that they will be holding a season ticket sales night on Thursday December 15 at the Cradley Heath Liberal Club.

If you are fancying buying one of these season tickets, I might be inclined to offer two pieces of advice:-

1. Get some kind of written guarantee of how many meetings you might expect to see in exchange for your hard-earned dosh, in the light of speedway's end of season magic trick of making meetings disappear.

2. I would try and get to the venue pretty early. I can't imagine that a modern day Liberal Club would be much bigger than a telephone box in light of the party's popularity ratings which have gone down faster than an unsinkable boat that has just hit a bit of an iceberg (unless you live in some snobby place called Richmond Park).

Be careful out there.

:t:

Cradley Heathens have always completed there fixtures in the NL era, as for season tickets Cradleys are usually pretty good value, and usually Play Offs are included in this unlike some.

Whilst The old Dudley Wood was pretty primitive, the New Liberal Club in Cradley Heath is pretty modern having been relocated due to recent road improvement schemes, the real reason you maybe need to get there early is because there are Queues to get these season tickets, as i believe record numbers were sold on the first sales night for the 2016 season.

Not sure on the tariff but clubs get fined for uncompleted fixtures.

And so they should.

I notice that the British Speedway Propaganda Association do post up the outcome of disciplinary action they have taken from time to time.

I'm not sure that I have spotted their posting where they announced what fines were being imposed on the clubs who short-changed their supporters by conveniently dropping meetings that they couldn't be bothered to put on.

Perhaps, for the sake of good housekeeping, they post all this information at the end of the year in their annual report to speedway supporters and if so, I look forward to seeing it.

:t:

​Are there any realistic hopes of speedway ever returning to the Cradley Heath area?

No sadly - Dudley Council are probably the least proactive council in the UK when it comes to leisure activities and amenities.

Dudley is the largest town in England with no railway station and with no professional sports clubs. Yet the Council's Head of Sport keeps telling the local press that they are "passionate" about sport. You could have fooled me Mr Ahmed!

• Like 1

Dudley is the largest town in England with no railway station and with no professional sports clubs. Yet the Council's Head of Sport keeps telling the local press that they are "passionate" about sport. You could have fooled me Mr Ahmed!

They have Sky installed in the council offices :)

​Are there any realistic hopes of speedway ever returning to the Cradley Heath area?

No.

No

No sadly - Dudley Council are probably the least proactive council in the UK when it comes to leisure activities and amenities.

They have Sky installed in the council offices :)

Are there any other major sports' clubs in the area - rugby union, cricket, hockey? Surely it's not a town without some top class sporting attraction? :sad:

Yes it is gustix, for a town as big as Dudley and its history it's unbelievable the lack of sport and leisure. The town is basically full of charity and pound shops. Back in the day it had all the big shops. It's typical of the if you don't invest you don't move forward. Very sad

Are there any other major sports' clubs in the area - rugby union, cricket, hockey? Surely it's not a town without some top class sporting attraction? :sad:

The reality of Dudley is this - the town centre consists of a mixture of charity and pound shops, while the bypass conveninetly allows you to avoid the centre as you travel on your way to the out of town Merry Hill Shopping Centre, which was built on the former Round Oak Steel Works in the late 1980s.

In terms of sporting attractions, there is not a single major sporting team playing within the boundaries of the borough of Dudley that are competing on a national level. There is Stourbridge FC, who are playing the 2nd Round of the FA Cup today, who play in the Northern Premier League and two rugby clubs, Dudley-Kingswinford and Stourbridge who play in Midlands 1 West and National 2 North respectively. That is pretty much as good as it gets.

As I said in my earlier post, it would be difficult to find a borough council with a less proactive attitude to sport within the borough. Any free land that is earmarked for development is invariably for housing and nothing else.

I think you will find that Stourbridge RFC and Dudley Kingswinford RFC are actually located in south staffs and not Dudley, which proves your point even more strongly!

Dudley used to have high quality sports clubs like Dudley Town FC (never a League Club but they've had their moments in Non League circles) Dudley Cricket Club (top of the Birmingham League when they lost their ground - one step below County level) and of course the Speedway.

Now it has nothing and they are even talking of bulldozing the three remaining leisure centres because they have fallen into disrepair (same story as Coseley and Brierley Hill Swimming Baths).

When it comes to Sport they are useless!

Until old limestone workings collapsed beneath the cricket pitch Dudley used to host Worcestershire County Cricket matches from time time. Elsewhere in the borough, Stourbridge also regularly staged county and one day matches, as did nearby Kidderminster in north Worcestershire.

Dudley borough has a number of current and former non-league football clubs, including Stourbridge, Halesowen, Dudley Town, Brierley Hill, Gornal Athletic and Lye Town, with Dudley Town currently playing at a ground in the Brierley Hill area. Football clubs in the borough have plenty of competition for support from Wolverhampton Wanderers and West Bromwich Albion, within 6 miles to the north and east of Dudley respectively, as well as Aston Villa and Birmingham City (within 12 miles).

I understand that there is a proposal to build two new leisure centres and then demolish the three existing ones which otherwise need extensive refurbishment. Maybe it is about time that we had a law that required the provision of new alternative sites or facilities to replace any sport or leisure site that is to be redeveloped for housing or commercial purposes if the existing provision is used by a specified number of people.