British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedball

King's Lynn Young Stars 2017

Tomorrow's meeting at Lynn has been called off.

Sadly it's time for the Young Stars to withdraw from the league. Ther aren't any riders available to sign and they are going to get hammered everywhere they go.

I've just been told that the Eastbourne v Young Stars meeting on Saturday has been called off too, although neither club nor the BSPA have mentioned it on their websites.

I've booked a hotel for 4-days down there, so as to take in the meeting, and it was non-refundable as from midnight last night!!

Nathan Greaves

Joe Jacobs

Adam Roynon

Oliver Greenwood

Max Clegg

Brendan Johnson

Not taking into account averages or Kings Lynn's NL Budget- but they are riders that come to mind.

Greaves is a shout but he's still a Warrior! Roynon probably doesn't not want NL, Clegg isn't eligible and Greenwood & Johnson have retired.

I've just been told that the Eastbourne v Young Stars meeting on Saturday has been called off too, although neither club nor the BSPA have mentioned it on their websites.

I've booked a hotel for 4-days down there, so as to take in the meeting, and it was non-refundable as from midnight last night!!

Eastbourne announced it a couple of days ago.

Edited by Islander15

I saw it somewhere yesterday, either twitter or on here. Think they cited lack of medical cover.

I've said before the official Lynn site is poorly updated and this proves it. Fans it seems don't need to know such information. Hopefully you can still enjoy a nice break.

At the start of the season, the team assembled was pretty decent. Was never going to win the league but it would at least be competitive.

Losing Hughes before a wheel was turned was a blow and I fear the injury to Phillips is the proverbial straw that has broken the camel's back. The side has been decimated and I just don't see any realistic options to come in and strengthen the side.

The Young Stars have always had a philosophy of developing the next generation of riders for the Stars team. In the past few years we've seen Kerr, Rose, Lambert and Bailey all come through the ranks. They were never on big money but they always had a clear career path.

Trouble is now, the league isn't really a development league any more. It's now a fully fledged 3rd division with some clubs chucking money at riders in order to clean up. I was told last year by someone who would know (and I trust) that one of the standalone clubs were paying a £600 guarantee to their top rider last season. He turned down PL spots because the money he was on was better and easier than riding in a higher league. Just plain wrong.

Sport is about competition but it needs to be a level playing field. The NL pay scale is pretty much out of the window nowadays. Think the league has to decide what it's there for. If it's going to continue on it's current path, I fear for the future of not just the Young Stars but Buxton as well.

• Like 3

Gave up booking hotels for speedway at least 4/5 years ago!!

At the start of the season, the team assembled was pretty decent. Was never going to win the league but it would at least be competitive.

Losing Hughes before a wheel was turned was a blow and I fear the injury to Phillips is the proverbial straw that has broken the camel's back. The side has been decimated and I just don't see any realistic options to come in and strengthen the side.

The Young Stars have always had a philosophy of developing the next generation of riders for the Stars team. In the past few years we've seen Kerr, Rose, Lambert and Bailey all come through the ranks. They were never on big money but they always had a clear career path.

Trouble is now, the league isn't really a development league any more. It's now a fully fledged 3rd division with some clubs chucking money at riders in order to clean up. I was told last year by someone who would know (and I trust) that one of the standalone clubs were paying a £600 guarantee to their top rider last season. He turned down PL spots because the money he was on was better and easier than riding in a higher league. Just plain wrong.

Sport is about competition but it needs to be a level playing field. The NL pay scale is pretty much out of the window nowadays. Think the league has to decide what it's there for. If it's going to continue on it's current path, I fear for the future of not just the Young Stars but Buxton as well.

Exactly so those calling for the end of the Young Stars are harsh and premature. They've developed good riders in the past that have progressed into the main Stars side and there's no reason why they can't do that in the future with some of the ones starting out now.

• Like 1

Exactly so those calling for the end of the Young Stars are harsh and premature. They've developed good riders in the past that have progressed into the main Stars side and there's no reason why they can't do that in the future with some of the ones starting out now.

Very true although it does make me wonder why they have cut their MDL side this season? When you think that Bailey, Kinsley, Whitmore, Hampshire etc progressed through this route where are the future young starts going to come from?

• Like 1

Greaves is a shout but he's still a Warrior! Roynon probably doesn't not want NL, Clegg isn't eligible and Greenwood & Johnson have retired.

Clegg would be eligible as his new Championship average is 3.10

"Speedball" gives his opinion about pay scales in the National League, quoting that it's wrong to pay a rider a £600 guarantee. Now I do NOT believe in paying riders

guarantees as it is against the spirit of the sport as an entity imo...BUT, as I see it, the National League is a business just as much as the senior leagues and so promoters

are entitled to do ( within the rules) whatever they wish to enhance their business. If that means paying a rider over the odds, it is only the same thing that happens in

the upper leagues, so who should criticise ? But frankly I do NOT believe that ANY promoter at this level finds it necessary to pay guarantees of the kind quoted and I have

friends among some top riders who confirm my thoughts.

That's a Birmingham road to go down and off topic tbh. That rule has been applied every year as a starting average and not a current average. Until Carr, but now he's been dropped and conveniently the date he couldn't ride NL was until he got dropped so make of that as you do.

Clegg or Adam R would be good either choice either or Richard Hall .

Or Shane H would be a good move.

If Max Clegg is allowed back in the NL his final av from 2016 would have to be used which is 10.8

Liam Carr Has slotted into Birmingham's team on his 2016 av with Coventry 7.11 which is lower than Danyon Hume's 2016 av 7.33

Chris is fine this morning a little bettered after his smash last night which caused him to have to withdraw from the meeting.

Thanks all for asking

Edited by TMW
  • Like 1

Get yourself a touring caravan. Thousands of lovely sites all over the country, many near speedway tracks, and you will pay around £20 a night including all facilities and an electric hook up for the van. Pay per night as you go, and if plans change, hook up and come home. Job done!

Any more news on the condition of Danny Phillips? I was at Mildenhall when he had his crash, and it was a nasty one.

Edited by Superstars

Danny is now home that is all i know but he was cleared to go home.

• Like 1