British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedball

King's Lynn Young Stars 2017

Interesting that Jayne says that the pay in the 3rd tier is listed at £10pp. To be frank, if riders are expected to travel all over the country, maintain

their machinery and vans, they can not possibly do it at £10 per point unless they have wealthy parents. So she should not criticise those that pay more,

they are simply living in the real world. My club, Lakeside, have just employed Paul Hurry and I cannot see him riding for £10 a point. Does not make

Cook and Tatum villains. The league has moved onwards and upwards and is now a semi-professional league that provides excellent entertainment to

all of us. Don't expect that for nothing. Also, the standard of riders moving upward into the more senior leagues is better than ever.

• Like 1

So sad :(

Interesting that Jayne says that the pay in the 3rd tier is listed at £10pp. To be frank, if riders are expected to travel all over the country, maintain

their machinery and vans, they can not possibly do it at £10 per point unless they have wealthy parents. So she should not criticise those that pay more,

they are simply living in the real world. My club, Lakeside, have just employed Paul Hurry and I cannot see him riding for £10 a point. Does not make

Cook and Tatum villains. The league has moved onwards and upwards and is now a semi-professional league that provides excellent entertainment to

all of us. Don't expect that for nothing. Also, the standard of riders moving upward into the more senior leagues is better than ever.

Is it not £10 a point plus expenses paid? Like petrol and methanol? Just a guess...

Tell that to the supporters of the tracks that close. Of course while there have been very real risks, closure is something that is alien to Belle Vue fans, and I'm really pleased that you have been spared that awful reality.

My track closed 43 years ago.

It still hurts.

Badly.

Understand that Rob. But the reasons for the demise, in the main, just transfer from one team to the next...

Teams drop down or go bust mainly because they cannot compete financially or simply there are not enough riders to go round to make them competitive...

You can also then add the self inflicted issue of a poorly performing team not being able to improve their lot (even if they have the money to do so) due to some not fit for purpose average system. Meaning they continue to suffer as disgruntled crowds dwindle...

Why should a team four months into the season, if they want to change riders, still have to measure up to the starting average when other teams in the league have spent four months making a complete mockery of it? .

Simply there are too many teams with not enough riders to go round. Hence tracks will always struggle until the supply and demand equation is reversed..

When clubs can dictate race nights to draw the best crowds, rather than when their 'employee' can appear..

When clubs can dictate salaries rather than the employee knowing he is bomb proof and will get the same or more elsewhere..

And when clubs have excess riders 'waiting by the phone' desperate for a team place...

Then, and only then can the sport move forward and businesses be ran properly...

Too many tracks delivering 'poor value' actually impacts the overall brand detrimentally, so sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind and look after the many not the few...

Less tracks means more riders available, more riders available means less 'no other choice but to pay' salaries are paid out and riders will have more pressure to perform for the club and fans to retain a team place. Which can only improve the competitive nature of the racing surely?

Speedway, until it faces up to this will continue its ever increasing in speed 'race to the bottom'...

On the plus side, when it does reach there, the only way is up!!

Edited by mikebv

As Dandelion says it's £10 per point plus expenses. Whilst I agree that £10 is too low for current times, the rules say £10 maximum so Cook & Tatum should pay £10 maximum until they advocate the rules get changed at the AGM.

My team Norwich closed at the end of 1964 and haven't been back since. When you've experienced that at your track and at a track that was well supported you'd understand more!

If we followed Mikes theory then when Eastbourne, Birmingham and Lakeside dropped out of the EL they were instantly banished to closure!

IoW, Stoke, Mildenhall and Plymouth all dropped out of the 2nd Division in the last 10 years, they too would be banished to closure as well!

I've long maintained that the more tracks the better as more interest is manipulated and from many who otherwise wouldn't be interested in speedway. I suspect that a sizeable % of a tracks hardcore support would stop going if the track ceased operations!

Whilst King's Lynn's Young Stars demise isn't good news, at least they weren't a standalone team which would mean that speedway would lose a track.

In present times the current NL has to many teams caused by the often unsustainable nature of the top 2 Divisions, combined with less riders available meaning that lower end NL teams are struggling big time.

Buxtons big win yesterday proves that their is possibly light at the end of the tunnel!?

• Like 1