British Speedway Forum
Speedway28

Mildenhall 2017

Observations on today's season opener...

Hard to judge off the first meeting but once Jenkins moves up into the top five, could be difficult against the best sides. Saying that, Verge, Ruddick (after first two races) and Woods all looked steady. Hopefully they'll improve throughout the year. Jenkins looks a class act, defeating Stoneman twice, I think he'll average around 7.50-8.00 this year. Halsey looks good, Armstrong and Mountain down on pace but sure that'll come. Good to see Mountain back and hope he's not feeling too sore after the bang to the back he received in his fall.

Some good moments today, But about75% of races had to be re-run through falls accidents ,tape infringements .A ref who failed to keep the meeting moving at a decent pace resulting in the whole thing dragging on.the track did not help which was poor in my opinion I would think twice about attending another meeting here this year.

Edited by waco

Some good moments today, But about75% of races had to be re-run through falls accidents ,tape infringements .A ref who failed to keep the meeting moving at a decent pace resulting in the whole thing dragging on.the track did not help which was poor in my opinion I would think twice about attendig another meeting here this year..

Agreed. Very disappointed with the track. The standard response of blaming the heat will be the club's excuse but it is reasonable as a paying spectator to expect to not see a blue groove after six heats every meeting. I'll give it a couple more attempts but if the track doesn't improve, Sunday's could be spent at Peterborough instead.

A long dragged out affair .countless falls ,,.exclusions ,, the ref failed to keep things moving at a good pace ,on a poor track ..There were one or two decent races,but the most enjoyable thing about the afternoon was the fish and chips the best in speedway ;Sorry thought i had lost my first post when editing

Edited by waco

A long dragged out affair .countless falls ,,.exclusions ,, the ref failed to keep things moving at a good pace ,on a poor track ..There were one or two decent races,but the most enjoyable thing about the afternoon was the fish and chips the best in speedway ;Sorry thought i had lost my first post when editing

How did Stoneman do Waco.

Shame to hear that Mildenhalls track was poor again.

Agreed. Very disappointed with the track. The standard response of blaming the heat will be the club's excuse but it is reasonable as a paying spectator to expect to not see a blue groove after six heats every meeting. I'll give it a couple more attempts but if the track doesn't improve, Sunday's could be spent at Peterborough instead.

Big shame as the fans at Mildenhall are some of the best but the track lets the club & team down badly. Thought about attending today but glad i gave it a miss having been bitten a couple of times last season. Think its most likely i will be getting my extra speedway fix elsewhere this season as Rye, P'boro, Lakeside & even Eastbourne seem more appealing.

I'll make just two observations from yesterday's meeting:

The weather was unseasonably hot (23 by the time we started at 3.00pm) - so very hot with a strong cross wind. The track had received a good soaking the night before and was being constantly watered from first thing Sunday

In the past the first few heats have had to be sacrificed in a way in order to keep the moisture in. But everyone was confident that with the preparations in place the track would hold up for the meeting. A 20 heat format, so an additional five heats

However, the more telling factor (I believe) was the referee. At a time when speedway is losing far too many referees, the sport needs to find and train new ones. At yesterday's meeting Mick Bates had a probationer referee with him, which would account for some of the delays/decisions. As there would naturally be consultation between the two of them.

Running day time meetings is far more challenging and the track staff work tirelessly to keep the show on the road. The dust was becoming an issue (especially on 3rd/4th bend as the wind was blowing in this direction). But, to be honest, supporters could consider the circumstances and could relocate to a different area of the stadium

Yes, I know they shouldn't have to, but that is an option open to them in order to avoid any dust clouds

Overall the racing was keen, with some riders really getting stuck in and providing good racing. It was a very healthy crowd, and one would hope that the majority can evaluate the circumstances and return to enjoy more meetings at West Row

Regards

• Like 1

Big shame as the fans at Mildenhall are some of the best but the track lets the club & team down badly. Thought about attending today but glad i gave it a miss having been bitten a couple of times last season. Think its most likely i will be getting my extra speedway fix elsewhere this season as Rye, P'boro, Lakeside & even Eastbourne seem more appealing.

Even Eastbourne, crikey the track must be bad sings!

• Like 1

Hi A J IS KING ,,Stoneman gave it a good go effort wise is prone to making mistakes on the bends and then straightens up,which cost him a few higher places in races,,Has the pace to improve and i imagine will go better on the wider bends at Kent,Needs to be more consistant at the starts but definately one that will improve during the season..

Edited by waco

Hi A J IS KING ,,Stoneman gave it a good go effort wise is prone to making mistakes on the bends and then straightens up,which cost him a few higher places in races,,Has the pace to improve and i imagine will go better on the wider bends at Kent,Needs to be more consistant at the starts but definately one that will improve during the season..

Cheers.

Lots expected of him at Central Park,hope all goes well.

The weather was unseasonably hot (23 by the time we started at 3.00pm) - so very hot with a strong cross wind. The track had received a good soaking the night before and was being constantly watered from first thing Sunday

In the past the first few heats have had to be sacrificed in a way in order to keep the moisture in. But everyone was confident that with the preparations in place the track would hold up for the meeting. A 20 heat format, so an additional five heats

However, the more telling factor (I believe) was the referee. At a time when speedway is losing far too many referees, the sport needs to find and train new ones. At yesterday's meeting Mick Bates had a probationer referee with him, which would account for some of the delays/decisions. As there would naturally be consultation between the two of them.

Running day time meetings is far more challenging and the track staff work tirelessly to keep the show on the road. The dust was becoming an issue (especially on 3rd/4th bend as the wind was blowing in this direction). But, to be honest, supporters could consider the circumstances and could relocate to a different area of the stadium

Yes, I know they shouldn't have to, but that is an option open to them in order to avoid any dust clouds

Overall the racing was keen, with some riders really getting stuck in and providing good racing. It was a very healthy crowd, and one would hope that the majority can evaluate the circumstances and return to enjoy more meetings at West Row

Regards

Brilliant meeting

Usual good quality EWR meeting.

Great meeting

a brilliant speedway meeting

Cracking meeting yesterday

Sunny, hot (for half the meeting anyway) and very windy at Scunthorpe yesterday.

Mind you, I keep forgetting Rob Godfrey has a magic wand.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Regards

I accept that there's always going to be slight issues when it's as hot as it was yesterday but the track never seems to change. I understand that having too much shale on the track isn't beneficial for the inexperienced but a huge blue groove can't be preparing them very well either. Good to see Kevin Jolly saying they'll work on the track this week, he seems like a really decent man who deserves success at Mildenhall for the all the work he's putting in.

Just to say, the track is the only issue at Mildenhall in my opinion. It's a nice club with nice people involved and once the track is sorted, more larger crowds like yesterday will be seen. I do enjoy my speedway there and have done since going to Mildenhall as a boy in the 1980's. I don't want my opinions to be seen negatively, it's just my opinion that these improvements will give the club opportunity to gain larger crowds.

• Like 6

Good post Mildenhall 1965,,.