British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2017 Hat Trick

Doing a Brummies_Ste here -

http://www.birminghambrummies.co/_mobile/news.php?extend.2486

BIRMINGHAM have won the race to sign talented teen Taylor Hampshire.

The 16-year-old was a member of the King's Lynn Young Stars squad until they withdrew from the league last month.

Since then he has made several guest bookings for a whole host of teams - and scored a crucial 9+1 for Birmingham in Wednesday's 46-44 home win over Lakeside.

The Surestop Brummies have fought off interest from other third tier sides and are delighted to confirm the capture of the 2016 Midland Riders' Development Champion.

Team boss Graham Drury said: "I feel this is an important signing for Birmingham for more than one reason.

"Firstly, both on and off track Taylor has got plenty to offer to the team and we feel he'll progress nicely with us at Birmingham.

"Even in the few meetings he has had, he's got better and better every time he's been to Perry Barr and we're sure he'll continue his development with us at Birmingham.

"His equipment is right up to scratch, he's eager to race and he's excited to be joining.

"Secondly, Taylor has chosen us over a number of other clubs - and that always means a lot and says a lot in the same breath too.

"Some other high profile clubs were interested in his signature, but naturally we're thrilled he has chosen us and we can't wait to get working with him."

• Like 2

Very happy with that, he was excellent last week, hopefully we'll have a bit of firepower at reserve now that we've lacked since Cupitt went up into the main body of the team.

Roberts looked pretty well helping around the pits at P'Boro yesterday although i didn't get to talk to him regarding the current state of his injury.

Great move good luck Taylor .

Taylor seriously strengthens the Brummies and they're not out of the play-off race by any means.

Edited by Islander15

Guest GiveusaB

Its Leek who aint in the declared 1-7 now. So they keep the so called injured rider in the 1-7

Feel for Leek, but I guess we're hoping to use Spooner again?

Doubt Roberts is really injured, expect he may well suddenly be signed for Eastbourne as from what I can remember he rides for the Reading SDL side

Of course he is injured. Without a question.

He has already confirmed he is. And was in a sling supporting his injured shoulder last week.

With the play-off's being more of an off-chance than anything more probable, and with no new promoter/promotion in the wings, will the Kent meetimg be "it", as it were, or is anyone aware of a plan for a more grandeous event to mark / mourn the end of an era for Speedway in Birmingham? If nothing else, some kind of farewell meeting for Tony Mole would not be out of order, as his retirement beckons.

• Like 1

I was told it is being described as the farewell meeting.

You would have thought a new owner might have appeared by now. Would have had time to work alongside Mole/Drury to pick up the business in a smooth, orderly fashion.

Surprised that no-one has come forward; perhaps they have but they want to keep quiet until the current era ends. Hope that is the case.

It was stated in last weeks programme even if the play-offs are unsuccessful a final farewell to 2017 meeting will be staged .

It was stated in last weeks programme even if the play-offs are unsuccessful a final farewell to 2017 meeting will be staged .

And what exactly is the general public supposed to read into that? Everyone's going to have a farewell to the season. In Birmingham's case, will the farewell be a "goodbye" or a "see you next year"?

I had heard two potential new owners had expressed an interest, but how serious that interest is i have no idea, on the other hand it could just be gossip. So with that in mind one is an ex promoter with an unenviable record, the other is somewhat left field but would be an exciting prospect..

Edited by greyhoundp

I had heard two potential new owners had expressed an interest, but how serious that interest is i have no idea, on the other hand it could just be gossip. So with that in mind one is an ex promoter with an unenviable record, the other is somewhat left field but would be an exciting prospect..

As far as the ex promoter with the unenviable record is concerned, if it's the name I've been given, we're better off closing at the end of this season rather than 'doing another Phillips' and closing midway through next year.

I've randomly been given two other names as well, both ex riders. Like yourself, I'm not sure how serious they are, but the names come from a reliable source. And both would get a yes from me.

BSPA rules will require a licensed promoter to be involved, so ex riders coming in out of the blue may have problems unless they get the Drury's to hang on in there for 2+ years til the ex riders qualify for promoters licenses of their own.